Shure 577B

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
SmallTruckBigRadio

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio »

Dunno...

RA says they are not so great as to justify the price.

I won't pay full retail for one, but I will give one a shot if I can get it on the cheap.
coondog

Post by coondog »

super20dan wrote:my tech says the impedence is too low for the shure mic to work on cb. how are you guys getting them to work?
HUH :shock: when i took my Shure mic to the tech he admitted he never dealt with one but after looking over the specs that came with it he had no problem.he said one wire of course i didn"t need (don"t know which one)so he just tucked it out of the way.he then had me go get in my truck and use my other mic while he had the Shure on his base.he told me not to talk, he did a one two test.

he had me key my mic up on which of the two key ups he did that i liked best when he talked.i should of asked him about the test but when i went back in the mic was ready to go and i wanted to go and try it out.

this mic is great with my GL radio,i"m getting tremendous replys on my audio.it"s so nice when a guy out there saks for a radio check and gets one from another guy and when i give him a check the second guy says that now thats what a radio should sound like.he said he"s going to look for a Shure mic himself.
SmallTruckBigRadio

Comparing Astatic 636L with a Shure 575B Microphone

coondog wrote:
super20dan wrote:my tech says the impedence is too low for the shure mic to work on cb. how are you guys getting them to work?
HUH :shock: when i took my Shure mic to the tech he admitted he never dealt with one but after looking over the specs that came with it he had no problem.he said one wire of course i didn"t need (don"t know which one)so he just tucked it out of the way.he then had me go get in my truck and use my other mic while he had the Shure on his base.he told me not to talk, he did a one two test.

he had me key my mic up on which of the two key ups he did that i liked best when he talked.i should of asked him about the test but when i went back in the mic was ready to go and i wanted to go and try it out.

this mic is great with my GL radio,i"m getting tremendous replys on my audio.it"s so nice when a guy out there saks for a radio check and gets one from another guy and when i give him a check the second guy says that now thats what a radio should sound like.he said he"s going to look for a Shure mic himself.
Yep.... after comments like that,
I'm hooked..... gotta have one
I'm trying to avoid paying full retail for one though.

I have heard some people talk about potential impedance issues, but since your radio is a General Lee, I'm not worried.

I was a bit surbrised that RA was not particularly impressed with them, but I think he was comparing them to their potential $100 to $150 price tag.

I'm hoping to pick up a good used one.

Coondog,
Any chance we might be able to hear an audio or watergate between an Astatic 636L & a Shure 575B?
super20dan
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by super20dan »

can someone please post a wiring diagram for wiring this mic to cobra/uniden 4 pin
coondog

Post by coondog »

SmallTruckBigRadio,i don"t have a good enough recorder to justify the great audio between a Astatic 636L to a Shure 577B but it looks like BigFoot is working on it.hopefully it"ll be soon.heck,maybe i"ll spend the money on a good one because i do need it for all the audio testing i do.i trust peoples words on audio but it"s nice to hear it yourself.

i heard an old friend on the mobile that i"ve had"nt heard in a long long time the other day.before i keyed up i switched back to my 636L and talked to him for awhile.i asked him how i was sounding to him since he"s never heard me before with all my newer equipment.of course he was estatic.i had him to give me a second to change to my new 577B.

he was fllabber gasted by the difference.he said the 636L was great but with the 577B there was a huge difference.he said when i keyed up it was absolutley dead quite between my words and the quality of my audio was amazing.ANOTHER reply of my audio sounding like i was in a recording studio.

i have found that it"s best for me to set the mic gain on GL to 2:00,i did have it at 100% and they said i kinda sounded like i was talking from outer space,still great audio but better at 2:00.
Texas Mobil 219
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Texas Mobil 219 »

My Astatic 636 is a good mic. Other operators say my sound quality is Crisp & Clear. So let me get this right. This mic is to improve what is already great?????????????????
219 Swinging on 108'' in Texas. NO SPRINGS AND ALL STAINLESS. MFJ-1966
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
Send your signal to the world
SmallTruckBigRadio

coondog wrote:SmallTruckBigRadio,i don"t have a good enough recorder to justify the great audio between a Astatic 636L to a Shure 577B but it looks like BigFoot is working on it.hopefully it"ll be soon.heck,maybe i"ll spend the money on a good one because i do need it for all the audio testing i do.i trust peoples words on audio but it"s nice to hear it yourself.
i heard an old friend on the mobile that i"ve had"nt heard in a long long time the other day.before i keyed up i switched back to my 636L and talked to him for awhile.i asked him how i was sounding to him since he"s never heard me before with all my newer equipment.of course he was estatic.i had him to give me a second to change to my new 577B.
he was fllabber gasted by the difference.he said the 636L was great but with the 577B there was a huge difference.he said when i keyed up it was absolutley dead quite between my words and the quality of my audio was amazing.ANOTHER reply of my audio sounding like i was in a recording studio.
i have found that it"s best for me to set the mic gain on GL to 2:00,i did have it at 100% and they said i kinda sounded like i was talking from outer space,still great audio but better at 2:00.
Thanks for the feedback coondog.

It appears that my email notification of CBRT topics is working again!

I also have had good luck pulling mic gain on my SWP General Lee to 12:00 to 2:00 with some mics. Especially with the amp on. I tend to pull back mic gain a little more with the RK56 and SkyThumper Mics, than with the Astatic 636L.

I will continue my hunt for a used 575B to keep the cost down, but I've worked some overtime recently, and I just might bite the bullet & get a new one. I found a couple of sites that are a offering decent prices.
coondog

Post by coondog »

no not great,GREATER :D :D :)
SmallTruckBigRadio

Texas Mobil 219 wrote:My Astatic 636 is a good mic. Other operators say my sound quality is Crisp & Clear. So let me get this right. This mic is to improve what is already great?????????????????
Texas Mobil 219,

You are correct... it's a fanatic kinda thing. It's hard to justify, because it doesn't stand up to much reason. :?

I've heard just a couple of CB radios that have the "studio audio quality" sound that makes the receiving station stare at their radio in disbelief. There is often an unusual, and very high quality studio type mic involved.

I'm fanatical enough to give it a try, and I like new toys! 8)
coondog

Post by coondog »

SmallTruckBigRadio,i have those 2 other types of mics you mentioned and besides the 636L that i can run at 100% gain the other 2 (Rk 56 and the ST-65 DX) i had to set the gain around 9:00 to 10:00.

i couldn"t find those $30.00 e-bay specials which actually i don"t think i would trust(just my opinion)so i went to a site and paid the $80.00, with shipping $94.00.to me it was worth it.

remember the Shure mic were talking about is a 577B not 575B, :)
SmallTruckBigRadio

coondog wrote:SmallTruckBigRadio,i have those 2 other types of mics you mentioned and besides the 636L that i can run at 100% gain the other 2 (Rk 56 and the ST-65 DX) i had to set the gain around 9:00 to 10:00.
i couldn"t find those $30.00 e-bay specials which actually i don"t think i would trust(just my opinion)so i went to a site and paid the $80.00, with shipping $94.00.to me it was worth it.
remember the Shure mic were talking about is a 577B not 575B, :)
Thanks for the note on 577B... typo on my part.

Ebay is risky... I'll probably do what you did
BULLDAWG715
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

RE Shure 577B

Post by BULLDAWG715 »

The_Bigfoot wrote:[Please login or register to view this link]

Heard a guy talking with one of these today... Shuck the RK and the 636, that thing was a flippin m - m - m - monster.
Good day, I have a SHURE 577B for sale paid $95.00 for it.... Just not my cup of tee... Not a pwr mike... Just did not work for me and my HR-2510... It is BRAND NEW!!! $65.00 to your door.
Thanks, Bulldaw715
SmallTruckBigRadio

RE Shure 577B

BULLDAWG715 wrote:
The_Bigfoot wrote:[Please login or register to view this link]

Heard a guy talking with one of these today... Shuck the RK and the 636, that thing was a flippin m - m - m - monster.
Good day, I have a SHURE 577B for sale paid $95.00 for it.... Just not my cup of tee... Not a pwr mike... Just did not work for me and my HR-2510... It is BRAND NEW!!! $65.00 to your door.
Thanks, Bulldaw715
I want it! PM sent

Contact made, Money order to be sent
xasp
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Re: Shure 577B

Post by xasp »

Hi All,could someone please post a wiring diagram for a 4 pin setup... cobra,uniden,galaxy, etc... I just bought five of these used for 25.00 w/ three pin XLR plugs on them. Want to try it out on a Dx959 Galaxy... The first one that i plugged into my PA head works great, haven't tried the others yet ! Thanks in advance :basketball:
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

I don't have one of the Shure hand mic's but I do have two Shure base mic's that are worth mentioning, since this thread is discussing Shure Brothers microphones already. Shure Brothers is an old and well-respected name in the sound industry and I imagine that anything they make is of high-quality. Not just show-and-telling but if you like the Shure hand/mobile mic's perhaps some of you would look into getting some of their products for base use also? I have a couple of Shures here below that I'd like to mention. The second one I haven't wired or used yet at all and I think is still brand-new/unused.

One is a Shure Brothers 526T Series II SUPER PUNCH base mic that's a good talker with real decent fidelity, excellent on both AM and Sideband.
[Please login or register to view this link]
[Please login or register to view this link]

The second here is a Shure 510C / Bell & Howell 302 CA80C Controlled Reluctance audio mic and is an older mic once often used in recording studios and musical production I believe. I didn't go get my camera to take my own photo of mine so I linked to another I found here online, mine is in even much better condition.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

I've seen this thread before and am going to add a Shure mobile/hand mic to the collection here in the near future as it seems like you guys mainly are giving it favorable reports. Just wanted to add a little to the thread and the Shure brand name you all were talking about.
rayray1963

Post by rayray1963 »

xasp wrote:Hi All,could someone please post a wiring diagram for a 4 pin setup... cobra,uniden,galaxy, etc... I just bought five of these used for 25.00 w/ three pin XLR plugs on them. Want to try it out on a Dx959 Galaxy... The first one that i plugged into my PA head works great, haven't tried the others yet ! Thanks in advance :basketball:
Try this......................................

Ray

[ external image ]
xasp
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by xasp »

I was soooooo close, almost had it... Thanks Ray, I will give it a try .