What CB was used in "The Shining"?

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
Turbo-T
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Super Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

What CB was used in "The Shining"?

Post by Turbo-T »

Here's a youtube clip of it....forward it to 8:56 where Jack is pulling out the relays....looks like it says "GE" in the upper right hand corner? Anyone know what model that radio was?

http://www.youtube.com/watch? ... vie_player
231 from Missouri
va236
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Yaesu 757GX

Re: What CB was used in "The Shining"?

Post by va236 »

I went and looked at the video... don't think it is a CB.

Looks more like a commercial rig used by police, fire departments, etc. a number of years ago. Couldn't figure out the model number by looking at the video. Maybe somebody else can be more help on that part.

Later,
John

bigbronco44
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Captain Coax
Call Sign: 357
Antenna: Maco 3 beam
Radio: Navaho Trc 457

Post by bigbronco44 »

Hey guys i think it was a Radio Shack's Realistic TRC-30a..... been along time for the Movie but im pretty sure it was
Turbo-T
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Super Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by Turbo-T »

Don't think it was that one...I googled it, and this is the one you speak of...

231 from Missouri
marrowbone
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Handle: MarrowboneBoy
Call Sign: KE4LEL
Antenna: Avanti
Radio: Kenwood TS840

Post by marrowbone »

It's a GE Mastr Communications Exclusive 2 and they are really good radios.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

:arrow: so now for the next similar question, :arrow: what kind of radio is used in the "longmire" show, the desk radio looks like a president model or cobra with a turner mic and the mobile unit is some chromed face rig. :geek:
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Another recent Netflix tv series that had radios in it is “Stranger Things”, RS handhelds and Cobra base!

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

hey that brings up a questionable observation, :?: ,, sometimes i see people using walkies without extending the antenna, (partially or fully), and I know that can't be good.. :eusa-naughty: :eusa-shifty:
SWR has to be bad, probably off the chart, but the radios seem to take it.
is it the low power that saves them? :geek:
Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Scipio Kid
Antenna: An old coat hanger, painted red
Radio: Texas Ranger / Cobra LX / Galaxy 979

Post by Scipio Kid »

Back in the 70's and into the 80's we had, at one time a dozen or so hand-helds, big and bulky, but they worked, with the antennas fully extended. Using one with a broken or non-extended antenna would fry the transmitter. But somewhere, we found a 12" rubber antenna that was matched to the transmitters and you could use them all day. All you had to do was slip them over the stock antenna when fully retracted and tighten a thumb screw and they'd stay on good. The drawback was, they didn't work nearly as well as the big, long ones but they didn't break either.

If you still have one or more, you can have a lot of fun with them. I was a scoutmaster and always looking for something to keep 18 kids entertained after dinner. While they were eating, I'd slip away and get 4 or 5 handhelds with the rubber antennas and hide them around camp in the underbrush, each one on a different channel and each one 'on', with the squelch turned all the way up. When the kids were done eating, we'd sit them down around the camp fire and tell them the legend of the lost Josephine mine, that it was rumored to be somewhere nearby and we had clues to finding it. So off we'd go on a treasure hunt. What 12 year old doesn't love a treasure hunt? We warned them however, the natives had cursed the treasure and it was said their ghosts haunted the mine to that very day. While the other leaders were hunting with small groups, I'd get in my truck and tune to one of the radios, when a group would get close, I'd moan or whisper something incoherent, then I'd do it on another radio behind them or scream a bloody scream on a radio off in the distance. None of them believed in ghosts when we told the story, but an hour later, they were quivering in their hiking boots. And when we told them the native spirits would leave them alone if they went to bed and stayed quiet in their tents, it worked! I did the same thing with my family but they caught on after a few years, but the scouts never did. Today I worry that many of those young boys may never have gone camping again.

Post Merge Complete

Added 26 minutes 27 seconds after previous.
Also, I get a real kick out of the movies and TV shows where they use CB's. It's always clear the producers have no idea how they work. They almost never key the mics, sometimes they just talk, like they're on full vox all the time and the radios decide who to broadcast to and very often they simply throw a radio in a car or truck and it works, with no power and no antenna. May favorite is when they're using CB's Ham's police and construction radios and all talking back and forth like they're sitting at the dining room table. Go dig up one of the Smoky and the Bandit movies or Dukes of Hazzard shows, and see how many radio goof ups you see there. 10 - 4 Rubber Ducky?

Now I'm way off topic but I'll tell you something about CB's and kids today. Every time I show a kid how a CB works, they think it's the coolest thing they've ever seen! When we have family outings, the grandkids love getting in the trucks and talking to each other, and they really love using the P.A. A couple summers ago, I ran 100 miles south to chaperone and haul equipment back from a week-long girls camp my daughter was on. I had my daughter and 4 of her friends in the truck, all with their cell phones in hand. When we got down the mountain on onto I-15 northbound, there was a bad wreck in the southbound lanes and the Highway Patrol was just getting there. I grabbed the mic and started warning drivers coming south of the danger and suddenly all the cell phones were put away and all the girls wanted to know how I was talking to other drivers on the freeway, I had the echo on a bit as well and, long story short, all we did for the next 80 miles was take turns talking on the radio. (The only drawback was the filthy language so many think is part of CB'n. It isn't, and it's a shame so many can't form a simple sentence without cussing.) The girls were thrilled with the technology and for some time, they'd come over to our house and ask to talk on my radio.
Happy Trails
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hmm, the CB radio used in the movie “The Shining”? You got my curiosity up and during Halloween it came on, it looked like Shelley Duvall was using a Tram D201 (because of the year of the movie, 1980, possibly an “A” model) at the hotel, I didn’t catch the radio the sheriff’s office dispatch counter. Someone else might know more.

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
TNT1450
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Cobra Ball
Radio: Pace 8046, Roadtalker 40's, Teaberry Stalker IX, GE 3-5814A

Post by TNT1450 »

I was always fascinated by the old radios in the sheriff's office on The Andy Griffith Show.