4 element beams

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Hard Drive
Donor
Donor
Radio: Stonewall Jackson
Name: Willis

4 element beams

Post by Hard Drive » Saturday, 19 May 2007, 19:47 PM

Hi: I need some information about what are the best 4-element beams to buy for Horizontal & Vertical Polarization. I was thinking about some Smokin’ Gunn II because of the size. Some say I should get the Jo Gunn 4+4 Star series and then I was told to go with the Jo Gunn 4+4 Cross series or the Moonraker 4.

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Saturday, 19 May 2007, 21:21 PM

It's all going to boil down to hardware quality, if we're talking about a set of beams that has the usual 4 vertical and 4 horizontal elements. The rest is dependent on you- your assembly, your math on element length and spacing, your install in terms of mounting, tuning, and cable quality. As long as you have nice aluminum, stainless hardware, and, with a 4 element, at least a 16 ft. boom, you should be good to go. I'd be weary of what I call the triangular style, with the single straight up vertical and angled horizontal pieces as in either polarization case, they don't offer a full length driven element and parasitic elements in a single plane, keeping polarity pureness. If that design was the way to go, it would have caught on more popularly long ago. The moonraker is a long time performer, but I'm not a fan of the Quagi reflector (which is a loop, making it a combo yagi-quad design), but many have had luck with them over the years, so who's to argue. Unless you plan to talk ground wave with that vertical part of it, I would recommend simply going with an omnidirectional vertical mounted on top of, on the same mast, a longer (6 or 8 element) beam for higher gain and better front to back ratio over the 4 element, for skywave/skip/dx. Beware of trying to mount a vertical omnidirectional antenna above a vertical beam as they tend to be directional, killing their design intention. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Sunday, 20 May 2007, 1:35 AM

Save some $$$ and just forget about the Joe Gunn hype. If you really want a dual-polarity beam, just buy the new Maco model # (whatever it is) and be done with it. If you can find an original Moonraker, the $$ isn't worth it. If you want a kick-A antenna, just build (or buy) a 4 element quad and just never look back. Even a quagi (quad/yagi hybrid) will work great (quad loop driver and reflector, 2 yagi directors.). I've built and used enough quads over the years to feel I'm qualified to make these statements. Check cubex or signal engineerings' sites for more info. Just my $.02. 8)
Last edited by PA629 on Sunday, 20 May 2007, 10:08 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Sunday, 20 May 2007, 9:43 AM

Great advice there, and another source is the ham ads for used 15,12, and 10 meter beams you can scale to band. If you need any measurements, post here and I'll put some on and I'm sure others have their favorites also. Have a nice Sunday. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Post by 231 » Sunday, 20 May 2007, 18:13 PM

I've personally run and compared several yagi's to quad reflected hybrids (i.e. Moonraker and Shooting Star, etc.) and can tell you the quad reflector is the better performer hands down out of the bunch you listed. And I agree, don't buy into the hype of any of the data listings from Maco, JoGunn, etc...as none of them (that I've seen) list a db gain over anything (aka "dbd or dbi") for reference...and truly are dreamland db gain figures they post for marketing. :roll:

I too would recommend looking into the dual polarity quad beam over the 1/2 wave driven dipole style. I think SE is about the only one that'll do a dual polarity feed point though for the driven element though...and I've heard nothing but good reports about their feed line configuration. I've also been told (by SE) they've addressed the wimpy hardware which is important IMO. I haven't seen on the Cubex website where they offer dual polarity feed on their quads...but I'd think it could be done.

If you are set on getting one of the beams you've listed, I'd suggest getting the Maco Shooting Star. I had one (as did many of my friends) back when it was Wilson. They are a decent beam and pretty reliable. The quad reflector with the dipole set up makes doing personal preference modifications easy, too. They are a bit tougher to assemble than the Moonraker, but the hub set ups that Avanti used sucked. Over time they oxidize, corrode and become weak. So when you do your normal service the beam they often end up breaking when you tighten them down to the boom. And being they aren't around anymore, parts might be hard to find. :? The simple single element support design that Maco has is stronger and much less likely to be a problem down the road...plus parts aren't a problem.

Hope that helps some. ;)

Hard Drive
Donor
Donor
Radio: Stonewall Jackson
Name: Willis

Post by Hard Drive » Sunday, 20 May 2007, 19:32 PM

Yes that does help. I’m not set on any one type of beams. By this being new to me, I just want to know what would be the best set of beams for my $$$ and some that is not that hard for me to assemble. Now if I were to go with the dual polarity quad beam, where would I get them?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Post by 231 » Sunday, 20 May 2007, 21:44 PM

hard drive wrote:Yes that does help. I’m not set on any one type of beams. By this being new to me, I just want to know what would be the best set of beams for my $$$ and some that is not that hard for me to assemble. Now if I were to go with the dual polarity quad beam, where would I get them?

Sent you a PM. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. There are at least a couple of members of the forum running the quads, too. ;)

73's
;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic