Fav Antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.

Which antenna do you prefer

Wilson 1000
20%
Wilson 5000
26%
102"
23%
MR. Coily
3%
Predator 10K
20%
monkey made
5%
stargun
1%
55 antennas
2%
bozo made
1%

Total votes: 877

Eagleman
Donor
Donor

FAVORITE ANTENNAS

Post by Eagleman »

Its according what your going to be using the antenna for too, skip, power, want better receive, need clearance, etc., my two favorites are the 102 stainless steel whip antennas if you have no height issues to deal with, but if thats a problem, then the next best antenna I like is the Wilson 5000... Just like cars, in reality, they all do the same thing, get you from A to B, its just how you want to get there that you'll half to decide..... Good luck on your choice! Dave :bigsmurf:
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by 985 »

I run a Predator 10K antenna on a mag mount. Receive is awesome and SWR really dials in! I run a Palomar 250HD at 180W PEP and I hit the locals hard over 20 miles away. Farthest groundwave contact so far is a station out in Jersey 60 miles away. I'll let you know what I do when I get the 1.21 Jigawatt flux capacitor in there! 985 Juggernaut just got down!
2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer / Blacked out - The Black Box rolling base station
Chipswitched HR2600 / 250HD / Predator 10K...

[marquee]Takin' pills and bird watchin' on the hills, 985 Juggernaut just got down![/marquee]
Mike
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Mike »

I have been going back and forth between two antennas, a Browning, and a Wilson 5000. Both seem to work very well. Neither seems to really outdo the other.
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

Ive been testing different antennas over the past months since my first post on this subject.Ive come to the conclusion that that no one antenna is better than the other, because they all work and do the same thing.I prefer the wilson product because one sat on the roof of my car for years through the harshest weather and it performed good.I borrowed a monkey made and a predator 10k and a wilson 5000 from different people I know and fired them up connected to Cobra 29 Black Chrome W/EKL RFX 75 finals and every one performed great.Im currently back to my second antenna a Viper 1 on a tram trimag mount,which also I get crystal clear audio.The only other good mention is that the Predator 10k, is very nice because it is easily disassemled to replace a broken or worn part.As you can see the polls have it, wilson is strongly prefered.ALL MUST BOW TO THE MIGHTY WILSON!! :pirat:
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

haha 102 is in the lead! well lets see i have a few antennas 4' vanco adjustable antenna, 102 SS whip , 67" SS whip, Predator 10k, 100" fiberglass whip. so far my 67 whip and 102 work like a charm!
"there are only ten types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
RCi 2950 base
s9
HorseFeather
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by HorseFeather »

Wilson 1000 for me. Never ran a 5K, but I've has 102's and K40's. I like to be able to remove my antenna when not in use, and the Wilson let's me do that. It blows my old K40 out of the water.
RCI 2980, D104 w/ HiFi element, Palomar 250, A99
Kenwood TS-430S, Heil, MFJ 949E tuner, G5RV
Uniden 68' Elite, SilverStreak 150, Wilson 2K Trucker
JW7
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by JW7 »

Hands down the punisher by coily for me at '4"11 tall on my truck.No clearance problems. 1.0 to 1.1 @ 50 across the band [ external image ] Love this thing
[Please login or register to view this link]
Big Chaze
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Big Chaze »

I guess my police antenna with a short whip is the reason I get keyed over all the time... :x
kc4eoe
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by kc4eoe »

I like to take into account the noise factor or which type of vehicle you are working with. Big rigs undoubtedly are finding the best thing is mount the antenna of choice on the far end of the drivers side mirror to capture as much signal front to back as possible or run dual co-phased arrays. Pickup trucks (like mine) or cars will most likely find the magnetic mount Wilson 1000 or 5000 mounted in the center of the roof to be most effective, especially if running higher wattage. I use the 5000 due to having larger coax plus it looks more impressive (hey, we gotta look purty too)! Mag mounts seem easier to adjust for SWR and claim to be more noise free. I agree that every mobile antenna made is a compromise over the industry standard 102" whip, but I have seen those rascals hitting power lines and that scares me silly. I also got tired of hearing them whack every tree branch hanging over the road on my drive thru town. My daughter has a Wilson Lil Wil mag mounted on her trunk and she talks across town easily with it. She wanted a CB, but nothing high profile (like her daddy uses :lol:. As a sometimes ham operator, I have tried quite a few antennas in my life, but have found that simple may be better than the latest monster antenna with triple coils and doo-dads. Did you hear a driver out there with a tall signal from way up the road only to find out he is running a simple Francis 4 foot whip? Makes you wonder, don't it?
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Wow, this thread has been going now for 5 years. I'm sure I'm in the pile back there somewhere, but still running a hole in the roof, puck mount, with either a 10k or whip/tube depending on the need.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Slim Pickins
Donor
Donor

Post by Slim Pickins »

Loving my new 10K with 22" shaft. This thing has great ears.

73s
Paul
73,Slim

Insanity is hereditary......you get it from your children.
Bad Clams
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Bad Clams »

So for a magnet mount a Wilson 1k or the K40 ? is it possible to mag mount a coil ?
Leaders did what others werent willing to do, now they enjoy the things that others do not.
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

Yes,you can get a tri mag mount,and put on a coil that way.I have one and it works well.
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

Any Wilson for the mobile is the way to go I think, I have a Lil Wil on my 2 seater and with a Cobra Handheld with a little 30 watt push I am talking skip quite often!! Love the Wilsons!!!

Snowman
Taco Paco
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Taco Paco »

I still dig the old school 102" antenna. Add the spring and you're ready to go.
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

I propose an update to this poll or a continuation with the top 4 with others added.

Current top 4: Wilson 1000, Wilson 5000, 102 inch Stainless Steel & Predator 10K.

My suggestions to add: The 8' Francis Amazer

Any other antenna suggestions?
Is this ok with LordDragr & everyone to do?
LordDragr, will you make a the new one?
I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.
12 gage
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Re:

Post by 12 gage »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
231 wrote:How did I miss this poll? :-x

Well, "Other" isn't listed...so I didn't vote. Everyone talks highly of the 10k, but I've yet to see anyone compare it (even unscientifically) to the 102" whip...which I know for a fact the Everhardt Tiger SOTT-5' will out perform. I've run numberous tests over the years using the 102" as the base antenna to beat.

;)
I have tested the 10K against the 102" whip. Was posted on another site...

I also did the test useing the Wilson 5000, the Mr.Coily Dual Coil 22" shaft antenna, the Monkey Made, the Megatron, (which is a Monkey Made Clone) And a Radio Shack antenna...

In every case...The Predator 10K always was the most broad banded antenna, and tuned the lowest, and easiest...All test were done using a Dosy Meter, and a radio shack meter, a field strength meter, and a mfj 259b antenna analyzer...

All antennas were similar in size's, number of coils, and shaft lengths. (except for the 102" whip, Predator doesn't make anything close to 102" tall)

Over all best preforming antenna was the Predator 10K, 27" shaft Dual Coil antenna. Tuned flat across all 40 channels, on mfj. 100% Match efficiency, X=0 on all 40 channels...

Also tested were the other Predator 10K configurations, like the Single Coil, the 22", 17", 12", and 9" shaft's...All did well, but the 27" tuned the best.

As for the antenna which came in a close second, other than Predator. Was the Mr.Coily.

Best I could get the 102" whip to tune, was around 1.2 swr. Which from what I've seen, most cant get a 102" to tune lower than 1.3...

102" whips are just fine if your sitting still. But run down the highway @ 60 MPH, and watch that **Censored** bend-over backwards! Along with the swr!

The Heavy gluteus maxims Monkey Made's wont bend at all, not even @ 150 MPH down the freeway...But they also wont talk as good either.

But, you don't have to take my word for it...talk to anyone who use to run whips, but finally decided to switch to the 10K! :wink:

By the way...I do alot of the testing of the Predators, before they ever go to market...The antennas which are for sale right now, are some of the best antennas available. Currently, I have a couple of different Predator's I'm testing, and different size diameter's of shafts...And still playing around with a "Top-Hat" or Ground Plane kit, made by Predator, for Predator 10K's...

Only way to find out if the Predator 10K is for you...is to give one a try!

I use to run a 102" whip on a 82 Buick Century with a bumper mount and got flat SWR with a cobra 148 A guy I use to run with ran duel 102"whips on a ford ranger pickup mounted on each end of the back bumper with flat SWR as well. I do not how it compares to any of the other mentioned options but it worked good for me.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have always liked a 102" whip on the back left corner of my pickup. I had to make a bracket to mount the ball on my 04 Dodge Ram so as not to drill a hole in the fender. That location keeps the coax as far away from the noise source as possible. The height to the tip is 13' 9 1/2"s exactly. I never hit any power lines but have taken down some fluorescent light covers and bulbs at a local gas station. The locals call my truck "Tree Trimmer". The swr's, I got it at 1.1 to 1 on ch 19 sitting still and do go up slightly at 80 mph, 1.6 to 1, (checked this using another person) but not enough to damage a radio. I am looking for a mount that fits inside the stake hole made by (don't think I can say) but the website states they are no longer making them do to prolong illness. This mount makes a cleaner looking installation.
73's
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Irish
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Irish »

for me its the antron 99 base antenna best thing i ever used i have been all over the world with this thing
you will always miss 100% of the shots that you d'ont take so make that shot
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sporty Mike »

Mobile Antenna??? Gotta go with Wilson 1000 or 5000, and the tried and true 102.

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
12 gage
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by 12 gage »

MDYoungblood wrote:I have always liked a 102" whip on the back left corner of my pickup. I had to make a bracket to mount the ball on my 04 Dodge Ram so as not to drill a hole in the fender. That location keeps the coax as far away from the noise source as possible. The height to the tip is 13' 9 1/2"s exactly. I never hit any power lines but have taken down some fluorescent light covers and bulbs at a local gas station. The locals call my truck "Tree Trimmer". The swr's, I got it at 1.1 to 1 on ch 19 sitting still and do go up slightly at 80 mph, 1.6 to 1, (checked this using another person) but not enough to damage a radio. I am looking for a mount that fits inside the stake hole made by (don't think I can say) but the website states they are no longer making them do to prolong illness. This mount makes a cleaner looking installation.
73's
Check CB World I thin I they have a stake hole mount on there web site
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hi 12 gage,
The mounts at CB World are the Firestik brand and will only handle a 4 ft antenna maybe a light weight 5 footer. the mount I want fits into the stake hole and bolts down to the hole in the bottom of the pocket. They are pretty tough,saw it advertised in a Ham magazine got one for my 94 pickup, but it didn't fit my new truck. I have the dimensions and when I get to Atlanta, I have a friend with a machine shop, we are going to make one.
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Radio 75

Post by Radio 75 »

Maxrad MBBDC2700
Pirate
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Pirate »

So far my favorite antenna is a browmimg. by far the best antenna for me altho i havent tried a preditor yet but planning to in the neat future. just my 2 cents woth
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

the Mr'Coily and 55 have low ratings i figured it was high since how everyone all over the net has swore up and down on them ugly antennas.....?
"there are only ten types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
RCi 2950 base
s9