best moblie radio for ssb?

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor

Re: best moblie radio for ssb?

Post by Rabbit Ears »

For years I loved my Galaxy DX77HML, BUT!

The new RCI2950DX is the best one I've ever used in a mobile!! That is for darned sure!
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
Sniper X
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Sniper X »

Rabbit Ears wrote:For years I loved my Galaxy DX77HML, BUT!

The new RCI2950DX is the best one I've ever used in a mobile!! That is for darned sure!
I have this old DX77HML and loveit but did love the 2950 for sure.
8fiveO
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by 8fiveO »

Get great ssb reports on my Grant XL
1 ADAM 12
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

I have used my Galaxy DX979 on SSB some. It seems to stay on frequency after the radio warms up. Before the radio is at a good operating temperature there is some drift. Other than that I have used this radio for some substantial DX'ing on SSB.
1-ADAM-12
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

This has been a really good subject and this topic was started over 6 years ago and had lost over a year of posts in the crash. There are two answers to this question ,one for CB radios and one for the 10M conversion radios. Granted the best choice to me for the CB SSB radio would be the Galaxy 959 and 949 models, they both used the same board, and the 979 model. I like them because they are easy to mod and respond well to a tune up. As for the export (don't care for the word) 10m radios, hands down would be the RCI 2950DX but there are newer radios coming on the market soon. We will have to wait and see.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Savoirfaire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Savoirfaire »

My favorite radio over my years in CB radio was the Ham International Multimode III. Plenty of frequency spectrum and reliable with AM, FM and SSB.

I talked all over the world with it.

Once with 1.2 KW in the truck I was talking to Lebanon low frequencies with 96 inch radial off a Starduster in the center of the cab on my truck. The ground radial off the Starduster allowed me to transmit with an SWR of 2.7 to 1 from 24.890 to 29.700.

Sadly a technician messed up and scratched the board and it drifts like horribly.

My technician at that time said, "It was not fixable."

Perhaps someday I will find someone that can fix it.

Parts are hard to get as I think Ham International (England) as I had it imported through customs is no longer in business.

73 all.

10 X-Ray 47 (27.385 USB and 27.375 LSB)
johnny9
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by johnny9 »

great thread,just read thru it all..question; is this uniden grant spoke of in this thread the same as my president grant moble..its a 40 channel ssb usb lsb radio but only has 3 buttons and not 4,in very good cond..i can hear as well as with my tram d201 but will be trying to talk soon when swr meter arrives,thanks,john
jack of all trades,master of none.

hand wired"rats nest"made in USA
[ external image ]
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor

Post by Circuit Breaker »

johnny9 wrote:great thread,just read thru it all..question; is this uniden grant spoke of in this thread the same as my president grant moble..its a 40 channel ssb usb lsb radio but only has 3 buttons and not 4,in very good cond..i can hear as well as with my tram d201 but will be trying to talk soon when swr meter arrives,thanks,john
Yes...and no. It's the same in name only for the most part. The Grants they refer to were made later in the Grant lineup - between the mid-80s to late 90s after President became Uniden. They look more like the Cobra 148GTL (inside and out) than the original President Grant.

Here's the lineup of Grants, as far as I know.

[Please login or register to view this link]

I'd like to find one of the second Grants pictured. I had a Grant XL at one point and sold it like an idiot. The last Grant, the LT, to me is a cheap piece of garbage but I could be wrong.
Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-8100
Icom IC-2820 (with D-Star capability)
Kenwood TR-751 2M all mode mobile
Kenwood TM-3530 220 MHz mobile
Uniden Washington Base
Uniden HR-2510
Icom ID-92 HT
SteppIR 40-6M Yagi
OCF 75/80M dipole
Diamond V2000A 6M/2M/70cm ground plane antenna
Antron 99
Grinder74
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

best moblie radio for ssb?

Post by Grinder74 »

I have a Grey Uniden Grant that is just like the president and it is a good SSB radio. Has the PC 409 board with the 8719 chip with toggle switch for xtra channels(bought it that way). Great radio!
KE8EOJ
johnny9
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by johnny9 »

i have the first one in your pics and the skip id really rolling today..listening to all this is driving me nuts,but will be talking soon enough i suppose :cheers:
i havent been able to get on the forum for days,like it was shut down and didnt exist to my computer,so i assume the site was down a while,john

Tuesday, 10 December 2013, 10:04 AM

007 in maine today ,is loud and proud in central fla no doubt,channel 28 8)

[ external image ]
222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by 222DBFL »

Johnny9, where abouts in central Florida are you located, I live in the Daytona beach area, although I am not home too much these days as work has me on the road. I am 222 Daytona Beach , FL. And to the poster, get a stryker 955hp or a magnum 257hp. I have heard a lot of good reports about the stryker radio and I own 2 magnum. 257hp's. I get good audio reports from the magnum all the time, I also run a uniden grant and a uniden pc122 xl in the mobile, they all work great on ssb. If you do decide to purchase a new radio have a good tech do the work on it. This is probably the most important thing to take into consideration as there are many golden screwdriver techs out there these days. Doug's custom cb's, DTB radio, bells cb and clays cb radios are a few good shops that do good work. There are more I am sure, just do your homework and remember, it's your decision and will be your radio so choose one you want, there's too many radios that fit the bill for what you want but like said, if you are planning on using the radio for ssb only get an HF radio, if you will be using it for AM as well, get a good export or an old school radio like the uniden grant or pc122, or something similar, I do love my magnum 257hp, but I am tempted myself to purchase a stryker 955hp as I have heard a lot of good reviews about them. Good luck and keep us posted as to what radio you end up purchasing. God bless.
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

Once again if the radio has a echo knob it snot made for SSB
also if this people would leave the transmit freq alone quit unlocking the clarifier
then alot of people would actually be on frequency talking and those listening could understand them and not have to adjust to hear what they are saying then the band wouldnt be cluttered with a bunch of off frequency radios

so to narrow down your search for a true SSB radio
if any of your choices of radios have a built in Echo knob then scratch that off your list
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
johnny9
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by johnny9 »

222DBFL wrote:Johnny9, where abouts in central Florida are you located, I live in the Daytona beach area, although I am not home too much these days as work has me on the road. I am 222 Daytona Beach , FL. And to the poster, get a stryker 955hp or a magnum 257hp. I have heard a lot of good reports about the stryker radio and I own 2 magnum. 257hp's. I get good audio reports from the magnum all the time, I also run a uniden grant and a uniden pc122 xl in the mobile, they all work great on ssb. If you do decide to purchase a new radio have a good tech do the work on it. This is probably the most important thing to take into consideration as there are many golden screwdriver techs out there these days. Doug's custom cb's, DTB radio, bells cb and clays cb radios are a few good shops that do good work. There are more I am sure, just do your homework and remember, it's your decision and will be your radio so choose one you want, there's too many radios that fit the bill for what you want but like said, if you are planning on using the radio for ssb only get an HF radio, if you will be using it for AM as well, get a good export or an old school radio like the uniden grant or pc122, or something similar, I do love my magnum 257hp, but I am tempted myself to purchase a stryker 955hp as I have heard a lot of good reviews about them. Good luck and keep us posted as to what radio you end up purchasing. God bless.
hi 222 dbf,,im in dunnellon crystal river area,far se ocala area..i go by 23467 greasemonkey in central fl..i just got stuff working better but only using the old d201 tram with d104 astatic "chrome lollipop"non modulated mic,all from the 70,s and i will keep using this radio rest of my life no doubt..i also listen just as good on the pres grant 3 button..i cruz all channels and 36-40 on lsb..my ole tram has the manuel slider knob and i can slip between channels real good and get up to channel 50 iirc if needed.
tomorrow i will be getting a lil bit of a kicker so i can get out to all these fellas i here in maine,death valley cali and even washington state i hear,i can really here about every state when times permit with the 70,s astroplane just 15 ft to the bottom lol..and trees all around the antenna too..i will be getting the tower up also in next couple weeks im hoping..when i get more situated im sure i will find a few channels i will be on most the time..hope to talk to ya someday for sure! god bless and be carefull out there on the road with them crazys 8)

[ external image ]
222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by 222DBFL »

I have talked to you grease monkey. It was about 2 months ago. I'm 222 in the mobile. I can't remember what channel you were on, but I remember your handle.
johnny9
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by johnny9 »

i dont think i had it hooked up then but have had it going for at least 3 weeks now..i will keep an ear our for ya for sure 8)

[ external image ]
222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by 222DBFL »

Copy that 222 Daytona beach Florida, I'll try you later this week as I am in PA now and will be coming home Friday or Saturday. Maybe we can plan something to try anyway on like 36 lsb or something. Let me know and god bless you. 73's.
p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by p38 »

I've always had good luck with magnum radio's with the 1969 finals . Talked all over the world on them with 50 watts the delta force and olser s9 radios . Stryker 955 hp is bad **Censored** too! Loving mine I use it at home only but its plenty of power always great reports on it
Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

For me it's the 980 and the Grant 2 Uniden all the way. No drifting.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
fatcat3
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by fatcat3 »

mine is the cobra 200 gtl. I have talked skip on am, usb, and lsb. all with great reports. even had a Australia contact off my mobile from down town Chattanooga. not easy to find but with one of these set up rite I don't think they can be beat.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

fatcat3 wrote:mine is the cobra 200 gtl. I have talked skip on am, usb, and lsb. all with great reports. even had a Australia contact off my mobile from down town Chattanooga. not easy to find but with one of these set up rite I don't think they can be beat.
The cobra 150's and 200's were lemons. I'm glad yours work and I consider you lucky. Cobra pulled the plug on that line of radios very quickly.
fatcat3
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by fatcat3 »

i think the reason they got a bad rep is because people didn't know how to set them up when they first came out, pushing them harder than they should. put a newer generation fet in it and it will talk. and let someone who knows what they are doing crack it open.
Grinder74
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Grinder74 »

I pulled the Uni Grant for a TRC-465, whispering into my grey 600(1X4 SD1446's). Love it and it is small.
KE8EOJ
p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by p38 »

It's like anything properly taken care of an tuned the galaxys are great , stryker , magnum, rci are all great radios if tuned right! so it boils down too catorgories of cost/purpose/taste me I like the look and setup of the magnums/galaxy /strykers but do not like the RCI .
Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.
bbqradio
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by bbqradio »

RX/TX is important, but usability can be just as important.

I'm loving a Galaxy 959, but, truth is, my favorite is a Bearcat 980SSB. The Bearcat lacks a RB, which is kinda sad, but it's clarifier is a coarse/fine dual, and it makes it yards better than the Galaxy for mobile use on bad roads. Clarifying with a Galaxy in a truck driving on a quarry road is next to impossible .

My 2¢.
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 »

Just got a new Uniden 980 SSB. I can't say enough about it. The radio does not drift. First time out BAREFOOT on a K40 I made a contact in Virginia! Radio has great sound and an awesome quiet not to overly sensitive recv in it. The only gripe I have is that all of the knobs and buttons are backlit except for the corse/fine clarifier knob.
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic