where's all the big setups?

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

BG wrote:
linearone wrote:[Please login or register to view this link]
how can they have competitions / meetings like the ones in these pics?? where is the FCC? I don't worry about the FCC showing up at my door for my barefoot 10 meter mobile....but why arent they messing with these guys running 5000+ watts? i would never get away with it.
whats the difference in someone running 5000 + watts and a guy running a export radio
or a guy running a cobra 19 with a power mic

whos breaking the law
all 3 sets have been modified
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

10 Meters are illegal to use on 11 meter bands, I have to agree with Mudduck....

"People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones"

Snowman
Hummer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Hummer »

I agree with 420Snowman, there are alot of Cbers with mobiles out there that push 10k and over.... where are all the high powered mobiles at? Don't be shy, Take the time and upload those pictures. Break Break!!!
Hit some skip and Shoot for the Moon!
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

BUMP!!! COME ON FELLAS, (AND LADIES), I KNOW SOME OF YOU HAVE THE BIG, BIG SETUPS!!!
Hummer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Hummer »

[Please login or register to view this link]

This isn't a high powered mobile but it gets the job done and I can talk skip to the western states with ease!!! Cobra 29 NW St with a box going out to a K30 35" antenna.....
jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Not anywhere near the Biggest out there, but I do get my name called from time to time in DX...

[Please login or register to view this link][Please login or register to view this link][Please login or register to view this link][Please login or register to view this link][Please login or register to view this link][Please login or register to view this link][Please login or register to view this link][Please login or register to view this link]
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Hummer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Hummer »

nice set up JesseJames... What the avg you get out of this setup?
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sporty Mike »

Your not going to see alot of the "big strapper's" setups. Just like if you go to a street race the real serious guys aren't gonna be showing anybody under their hoods. For those guys with the multiple KW setups it's all about competition, keydowns, or just being the guy who rules the air in their area. Competition, just like at the street races. They want you to think it's a stock 69 Lemans, when in reality it's got a built LT-1, with a 5000 dollar 2 speed automatic, and a stall converter that has a stall speed higher than most of us run on the freeway!! But on the outside it's just a 70's refrigerator green 69 Lemans. I've noticed it's kinda the same way with big radios, they want you to think it's a barefoot Cobra 25.

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

Hummer wrote:nice set up JesseJames... What the avg you get out of this setup?
@ around 14+ volts it will do 2000 on the Bird...I'm fixing to order a "Peak" board for my meter so I can see what kind of watt's I'm doing Peak...Right now I don't have a clue, but I figure it should be some where around 3800 to 4000w peak.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Hummer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Hummer »

Wow thats amazing, wish my setup could do that. My 150ish watts are nothing compared to that, How much keydown time do you do with that? I hear alot of people running mauls and they stick with acouple of minutes of keydown time.... Is that true with the keydown time? Heat causes stress so i would guess so it would be kept to a minimum.
jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

Hummer wrote:Wow thats amazing, wish my setup could do that. My 150ish watts are nothing compared to that, How much keydown time do you do with that? I hear alot of people running mauls and they stick with acouple of minutes of keydown time.... Is that true with the keydown time? Heat causes stress so i would guess so it would be kept to a minimum.
The 16-pill does get hot quick. You could probably fry a egg on it after just 10 minutes of talking...And just sitting still talking the motor compartment gets hot quick too from the heat off the three alternators. (and the fact it's been over a 100 degrees here in the Dallas area now almost everyday probably has something to do with it)

But, I have sit and talked for quite a long time with everything in cooking-mode and so far not had any problems...I am thinking of getting some bigger fans tho for the 16 pill, because the fans that are in it now, are actually the same size as what is in my 6 pill Davemade (which doesn't get hot, but it's also less than half the size of the 16)

Once I get some bigger fans, I'm hopping it wont heat up as much...
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

Youre right Sporty, they dont want you to know anything until the street lights get brighter over there parking spot when they key down!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Snowman
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Do they not put 4 fans on the 16 pill DM amps? It looks like all you have is a couple on there that would result in some uneven cooling unless it has some routing in there. I'd get another lid made with more fan holes or something if that's the case. My ww has 4 and it stays cool, I don't push it, but this time of year I do run the ac a few minutes to let it suck through some cool air before use. Heat is heat. No matter the size of the amp if you just jump in a hot car and start using it you're starting out at 100+++ degrees, already a hot amp.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

drdx wrote:Do they not put 4 fans on the 16 pill DM amps? It looks like all you have is a couple on there that would result in some uneven cooling unless it has some routing in there. I'd get another lid made with more fan holes or something if that's the case. My ww has 4 and it stays cool, I don't push it, but this time of year I do run the ac a few minutes to let it suck through some cool air before use. Heat is heat. No matter the size of the amp if you just jump in a hot car and start using it you're starting out at 100+++ degrees, already a hot amp.

-drdx
Nope...Just two. Davemades 6 pill, 8 pill 10, 12, and 16 all come in the same case, and all have just two fans. I haven't asked Joe why, but I did ask Steve in AZ. that does all of Joe's radio work and he told me that since Dave designed the things to just have two fans, Joe builds them to Dave's specks and don't change anything from the originals...so, just two fans on Davemades 6 - 16 pill...the 24 and 32's have 4 because they are two 16 pill cases stuck together...

Someone told me that Charger over at Fatboy sells replacement tops for the Davemades, that has 4 fans...I haven't checked it out yet tho.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Maybe that's just a cost saving deal. Chances are, for that size case, the number of 16 pill boxes is a small fraction of the lower pill count ones, but that bites. That should at least be an option when you buy one. My box's fans pull air out, with the input under the board at the rear in the form of vents.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Hummer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Hummer »

ok now i know that were dealing with 12 vdc fans right, just go down and get two more 120 or 140 mm fans. Stick them on there and wire em up.... I have seen pics of these monster boxes and they all look like they have the wholes cut out but only two fans right JesseJames?
jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

Hummer wrote:ok now i know that were dealing with 12 vdc fans right, just go down and get two more 120 or 140 mm fans. Stick them on there and wire em up.... I have seen pics of these monster boxes and they all look like they have the wholes cut out but only two fans right JesseJames?
Right...but the placement of where the existing fans are would make it hard to add anymore.

I did check with Charger, and he does sell replacement tops for the Davemade 16 pill size boxs with all the screw holes and fan holes cut out, all you have to do is add the fans...The tops are $19 + S&H and did come in Davemade Gold, black, and silver, but he's out of the Gold color, and suggested getting the silver one, and some True Value Gold paint...(I'm not real sure however True Value Gold paint will match the Davemade gold or not...To me the gold on the Davemade box's looks more like a Stain than a Paint)
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Man, that's too pretty of a box to go to a spray can for the lid. That DM gold to me doesn't look like paint either. I always thought it was some kinda anodyzing or similar deal, like you said, a stain appearance. I'd wait on the matching one or go black. Black wouldn't be bad. I'm not a gold fan but it is part of the Davemade brand so for long term value just keep the original lid, wrap it up and throw it in the attic. That way, when you go to your next bigger box you'll have it around for selling at max dollar. A black lid would look like you're a Saints fan. If the box was silver like most a blue lid may be good if you're a cowboy fan.

-drdx

-drdx
jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

I may go ahead and get a silver one and experiment on it with a stain or something else and see what I can come up with...I'm with you on spray painting it gold and then it look "cheesy"...Least if I can't get something to work, I can always spray over it with Black...
dragline
Donor
Donor

Post by dragline »

all that fan stuff aside.... JJD i sure do appreciate you showing off your rig. Yea everybody wants to keep their "things" "secret". JJD what channel do you all monitor up there in big d? I been passing through pretty regularly lately and channel surfing but cant pick up anybody. Working out of the wal-mart DC over in palestine. Maybe my radio doesnt have "that" channel?
jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

dragline wrote:all that fan stuff aside.... JJD i sure do appreciate you showing off your rig. Yea everybody wants to keep their "things" "secret". JJD what channel do you all monitor up there in big d? I been passing through pretty regularly lately and channel surfing but cant pick up anybody. Working out of the wal-mart DC over in palestine. Maybe my radio doesnt have "that" channel?
If Skip's rolling I'm usually on 28...You won't find many there if there's no DX tho. And during the week, when 28 is quite then I just keep the radio on 19...
dragline
Donor
Donor

Post by dragline »

alright then willl give it a shot
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

I hear Jesse ALL THE TIME, he has a unique BIG radio, you wont miss him if its Rolling!!!

Snowman
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Well, I've been guilty lately of not operating much. I took my stuff out to make room for hauling but put it all back in last night and it is all still dialed in. I've got the fever to upgrade to a 32 pill or maybe an AC amp but I'm afraid they're a little moody and beyond my current reach technically. It is hard for me to justify changes to a working setup for just a slight increase in signal but every bit counts. If you hear jesse you should hear me as well, as we're only 40 miles or so apart. I run mine at slightly less wattage but not enough to really notice probably. We can talk back and forth when the skip isn't rolling and we've passed several waves via skip which is always fun.

-drdx

-drdx
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

Then I should be hearing you, I do hear Jesse a LOT when its rolling. Actually the majority of my DX in the last few months has been coming from the south, TX, TN, GA, FL, etc. Do you go by DrDx on skip too, or something else? Maybe I AM hearing you and just dont know it.....

If you get rid of that 16 for a 32, make sure you PM me!!! I could find the funds for that!!!

Snowman