What have you recently acquired for new radio gear ?

Come in and ask any question, or just come in and say hello.

Moderator: JR Moderator

KP68
Donor
Donor
Radio: KP68's Black Beauty
Antenna: Maco M105C Mr Coily
Name: Ken

Re: What have you recently acquired for new radio gear ?

Post by KP68 » Tuesday, 10 July 2018, 9:20 AM

My SDR RSP II along with the MFJ-1708 came in. Holy smokes there's a lot to go through. Started toying around with it along with watching videos. Will take me a while to figure out all of the options but I'll get there.

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 10 July 2018, 9:36 AM

KP68 wrote:
Tuesday, 10 July 2018, 9:20 AM
My SDR RSP II along with the MFJ-1708 came in. Holy smokes there's a lot to go through. Started toying around with it along with watching videos. Will take me a while to figure out all of the options but I'll get there.
Check out the SDRPlay Facebook group as well, I learned a lot in there.

3's

Greg

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

KP68
Donor
Donor
Radio: KP68's Black Beauty
Antenna: Maco M105C Mr Coily
Name: Ken

Post by KP68 » Tuesday, 17 July 2018, 9:13 AM

I've been exploring here and there and I found it to be not as difficult as I thought, actually pretty simple. Amazing software. The MFJ-1708 is performing great too.

Bobcat
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Name: Bob

Post by Bobcat » Saturday, 04 August 2018, 9:32 AM

About a week and a half or two ago, somebody in my town posted an announcement of a garage sale on Facebook. For a laugh, I asked back "any old CB radio gear?". No answer.
Yesterday about 20 minutes before "go home" time, my daughter in law texted me. A friend of hers saw my message, contacted my DIL and told her that her husband had a CB that "would not power on" that I could just HAVE. Sounded interesting....

Turned out to be pretty much a "new in the box" Realistic TRC-57. That is a PLL based 23 channel SSB base from I don't KNOW when. When I went to pick it up he said that the clock came on but, when he works the volume control... there is no "snap" that suggests the switch is working... so that was my bet.

Took it home, opened the case, and it smells like brand new electronics inside that thing. Whatever is wrong... I am guessing that it was wrong from the beginning... and it never got installed or used.

Jumpered across the tabs on the switch on the back of the volume control... the thing jumped alive. I had no antenna so didn't hear any signal.... but it was bright and loud with RF background noise.

I am busy looking for a replacement control (and having a devil of a time!) but I'd like to fix it right.

I NEVER have luck like this!!!!!!

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image

Bobcat
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Name: Bob

Post by Bobcat » Saturday, 04 August 2018, 9:46 AM

Still open to any sources in the US ... but found on Ebay, dual gang, single shaft (RIGHT SIZE!) 10K 10K with switch.... they are on the way, along with some decent shielded audio interconnect cable so I can put it in clean....
Bobcat wrote:
Saturday, 04 August 2018, 9:32 AM
About a week and a half or two ago, somebody in my town posted an announcement of a garage sale on Facebook. For a laugh, I asked back "any old CB radio gear?". No answer.
Yesterday about 20 minutes before "go home" time, my daughter in law texted me. A friend of hers saw my message, contacted my DIL and told her that her husband had a CB that "would not power on" that I could just HAVE. Sounded interesting....

Turned out to be pretty much a "new in the box" Realistic TRC-57. That is a PLL based 23 channel SSB base from I don't KNOW when. When I went to pick it up he said that the clock came on but, when he works the volume control... there is no "snap" that suggests the switch is working... so that was my bet.

Took it home, opened the case, and it smells like brand new electronics inside that thing. Whatever is wrong... I am guessing that it was wrong from the beginning... and it never got installed or used.

Jumpered across the tabs on the switch on the back of the volume control... the thing jumped alive. I had no antenna so didn't hear any signal.... but it was bright and loud with RF background noise.

I am busy looking for a replacement control (and having a devil of a time!) but I'd like to fix it right.

I NEVER have luck like this!!!!!!

Poohbear7663
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: Kent
Cell Phone: 5806787419

Post by Poohbear7663 » Sunday, 05 August 2018, 1:49 AM

My most recent purchase was a stryker sr -497hpc. Wasn't sure how I was gonna like it coming from a connex 4600 turbo, but I'm really impressed with it so far. I think it actually sounds better than my connex, the lighted faceplate is a plus also.

Have run the connex in a rock truck for about 8 years before I started to have trouble with it. If this stryker does that good, I'll be tickled to death.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Rabbit Ears
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President HR2600
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff
Home Phone: 307-674-1541

Post by Rabbit Ears » Tuesday, 07 August 2018, 10:25 AM

I just acquired a "busted" BK 2040 CB signal generator last week, and fixed it. Couple of soldier joints, a 1496 modulator/demodulator chip, an electrolytic capacitor, and a LM324 quad op-amp chip were bad. Yep, Did some recapping too.

Three days of troubleshooting and skull-scratching.... A-OK!

The MC1496 chip was the issue with the PLL Board, and a 47Mfd Tantalum (C376) was shorted to ground too.

The LM324 was the issue with the Audio board. With the same board I found that a few cracked foil runs in the 2.5Khz oscillator, and a few bad soldier joints on the modulation amplitude POT to the board.

Waiting for several Electrolytic caps to recap the power supply which is located on the Audio board. C1, C2, C3, C9, and C10. Will be doing this for good measure.

Thanks for reading,

Cliff

Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2600 (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
Palomar TX-150 amp
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: iMax 2000
Name: Robert

Post by battyice » Wednesday, 08 August 2018, 1:14 AM

Got a Uniden 980SSB last week to try out. Nice radio.

Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert

Rabbit Ears
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Rabbit Ears » Wednesday, 08 August 2018, 9:26 AM

The Uniden 980 IS a fine radio..... do not drop it. It is delicate... otherwise a kick-rump unit!!
*I made that stupid mistake*

Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

K40 magmount
Palomar TX-150 amp
BIRD 43P

battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: iMax 2000
Name: Robert

Post by battyice » Thursday, 09 August 2018, 2:38 AM

Rabbit Ears wrote:
Wednesday, 08 August 2018, 9:26 AM
The Uniden 980 IS a fine radio..... do not drop it. It is delicate... otherwise a kick-rump unit!!
*I made that stupid mistake*
Mine is safely screwed under a cabinet. Using it as a base.

Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert

Rabbit Ears
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Rabbit Ears » Saturday, 11 August 2018, 8:48 AM

Rabbit Ears wrote:
Tuesday, 07 August 2018, 10:25 AM
I just acquired a "busted" BK 2040 CB signal generator last week, and fixed it. Couple of soldier joints, a 1496 modulator/demodulator chip, an electrolytic capacitor, and a LM324 quad op-amp chip were bad. Yep, Did some recapping too.

Three days of troubleshooting and skull-scratching.... A-OK!

The MC1496 chip was the issue with the PLL Board, and a 47Mfd Tantalum (C376) was shorted to ground too.

The LM324 was the issue with the Audio board. With the same board I found that a few cracked foil runs in the 2.5Khz oscillator, and a few bad soldier joints on the modulation amplitude POT to the board.

Waiting for several Electrolytic caps to recap the power supply which is located on the Audio board. C1, C2, C3, C9, and C10. Will be doing this for good measure.

Thanks for reading,

Cliff
I lost the CW after running the BK 2040 after an hour of use.

After recapping SEVERAL Tantalum capacitors supplying voltages to the chips on BOTH the PLL board and the audio board. Voltages came up and CW was restored. Also the power supply electrolytic caps were replaced too. Seems to run like new.

Tantalum capacitors are migraines…. always be suspicious of them when your are troubleshooting any component! :icon_e_geek: Thank you YAMAHA

*HINT* When replacing any DIP chips.... ALWAYS install a socket for it to plug into. Saves hassles later.

Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

K40 magmount
Palomar TX-150 amp
BIRD 43P