Floating Donate button Image

Fibreglass whip

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Critter98
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Fibreglass whip

Post by Critter98 »

I've just come into possession of a 102in fibreglass antenna. It came with a nut lug on the bottom, I suspect it came off a boat. I'm thinking of using it for a base stn antenna. I purchased a connector to screw the RG213 with a PL259 into the bottom. I don't know how to match the SWR to the radio though. Thoughts?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fibreglass whip

Post by MDYoungblood »

If it is a marine CB antenna, the bottom might be look like a PL-259. Use a barrel connector and do a brief SWR check or an analyzer would be better. It could also be a marine band antenna, does it have any distinguishing marks on it?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

IF it is a boat tener, it may work as is, otherwise your going to have to cut it up to adjust it, an almost impossible job.
Critter98
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Critter98 »

Thank-you both for your interest & comments. The mount was a swinging lever type so the antenna could be layed horizontal. The bottom was a 3/8 hex bolt screwed into a huge spring that the antenna was 3/8in screwed into. I assumed that the center conductor was eye terminal connected to the hex head bolt and the shield copper attached to the mount. I assumed it was for CB due to the length of 102in. With using a PL-259 connector how will I ground this?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

With the 3/8-24 threaded end (ferrule), you treat it just like any regular CB antenna.

Back in the day, Shakespeare antenna company was big on fiberglass antennas, if I remember correctly they called it the "Thunderstick". Francis antenna company had one called the "Gray Ghost", gray in color and was a true 5/8 wave antenna.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department