First Skip with Mobile

Let's just talk skip... a great place to join the prestigious CB radio Hall of Fame.
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor

First Skip with Mobile

Post by Mtn Lynx »

Was out this afternoon in the mobile. Heard some voices that were not local. Finally got to hear some DX here in Fairbanks. Got to make a few contacts on 39 and 38. Never thought i would be able to get heard with my Uniden 980 SSB with a little KL203P. The dual 4 foot ebay el cheapos made dx sound like I was at my base station at home. I got to hear Florida Georgia and some of those BIG GUNS from the east coast. Never heard east coast before. Hope to get more DX again. Its been over 2 months since I heard DX.
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223
Gunner357
Donor
Donor

Post by Gunner357 »

Back about 14 years ago I made contact in my mobile to Anchorage from Michigan It was so kool My dream state I wanna go back and live there
Yaesu FT920 (KE8PSI)
Galaxy88hl
Galaxy 99v
Cobra148 GTL w/ channel expansion
Cobra 29ltd Chrome
Magnaforce 350
Predator 10k
V58 Maco
Homemade Dipole base antenna
EFHW-8010 Multi-band End Fed Half Wave Antenna
295 antenna
Verified

Post by 295 antenna »

When condition are right .I have made good contacts with 50 watts . Good for you .
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor

Post by Mtn Lynx »

295 antenna wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:23 am When condition are right .I have made good contacts with 50 watts . Good for you .
while i was talking to 1313 Washington he was talking about how he likes his Uniden 980SSB i told him i was using the same radio. I turnt off the footwarmer, asked if he could still hear me. He commented that i was a little quieter but was still readable. I get 10 watts out of that radio with my wattmeter..
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

My first time talking skip
I was a young man that loved CB Radios. I had my first mobile linear the Messenger 250 !!
I thought I was big time and made a contact from Cleveland to California. ( that was my very first skip )
Well a Guy named Monster Zero heard me and waited for me to key up again.
The guy in Cali came back to him and not me.
So my very first skip I got keyed on and had to shut my mouth.

WW1

Post Merge Complete

Added 1 minute 14 seconds after previous.
We will never speak of this again !!
Nighthawk3
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Nighthawk3 »

I have been a CB Radio fanatic for years, but had gotten out of it for a few years until about 4 years ago. Anyway, after deciding to see if I could get back on the airwaves, I did a little tuning on a 29 Chrome that a buddy had given me, and received a Lil' Wil antenna for my birthday. Was out at the local state park, trying to adjust the antenna. I remember, I was on channel 38, and I was doing some "Audio, audio" checks, and when I un keyed, I heard "Hey Audio check, I don't know where you're located, but I wanted to let you know that you have great audio here in South Carolina, 151 standing by". It caught me a little off guard, because I hadn't expected anyone to answer me, little did I know 151 South Carolina, was none other than "Mower Junkie" who has his own YouTube channel, that I have been watching ever since. Anyway, the point being that after years without being on the radio at all, I was able to make my first skip shooting contact in 20 years, while still setting up my radio, and setting/checking swr, with a Cobra 29 ltd CHROME, with a half

Message from moderator Bozo

Please do not attempt to bypass word censor. Per [Please login or register to view this link].
tune up, that I did myself, and a Lil' Wil!! I was ecstatic, and instantly caught the "Skip Fever"again, and I'm still going strong. While it wasn't my first ever contact, it was my first one in 20 years and it was a basic radio pushing, maybe 15- 20 watts. Still makes me smile, just thinking about it 😁😎 Thanks for letting me share the story ✌️💚🤙 Nighthawk
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I got into radio back in the mid 60's, my father got into long distance trucking after leaving the railroad, he bought a couple mobiles (3 channel Johnson's) and a Siltronix 1011C off a fellow trucker that was upgrading. I was hooked, made several contacts with dad over the east side (never went west of the Mississippi). Still have the Siltronix.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

Back in the late 70's, I remember my first skip and I have been in love with this radio hobby ever since. My Dad bought home a TRAM D201A and had these guys from Lafayette Electronics install a big stick antenna. He only used it for a week and handed it to me. My first was contact was to England. After that, I wanted a PDL2 quad beam and they came back and installed it, taking down the big stick. You will always remember your first DX contact. That right there paved a way into this radio hobby and I never gave it up. This solar cycle 25 reminds me of the good skip contacts back then.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

first skip for me was way back when i had my first car and had installed a trunk mounted hustler,,, i parked on the north edge of a lake , figuring to bounce a signal to the south, and it worked great, i was excited but scared because thats when the FCC had some strict laws.