Recent Cobra 200 GTL DX

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Drifter

Recent Cobra 200 GTL DX

Post by Drifter »

Thought some might want to hear what the newer Cobra 200's are like in a base set up.

I've been using it for a few weeks now. So I feel comfortable with it.

Most have read all there is to read on them, so I'm just gonna give my impressions. Some reviews might be the first production on these and they have changed some.

The conversion is not for amatures! This resistor is microscopic, lol. If your a weekend solder monkey, like me, forget it. Get someone who knows what they're doing. Seriously. This needs to be said again!

Mine is swinging about 150 watts or so on AM high power. Several people have told me they are swinging well over 200, but I didn't want mine cranked up all the way, I'd like to see it last a little longer. In general I don't like to max out my radios, or anyone messing with the modulation.

People talk about the +10khz switch not working after the conversion, but mine is right on the dial now. For example I go from 15 to "15A" right on the dial as I flick through (there's a dot next to the channel number to show the difference), so I didn't see this as a big deal. All the channels are there. I would never use it to jump channels anyway, I'd just click the dial once to hit the next channel. Seems like I could use that button for something else though! I need to look into that.

The recieve is just *slightly* less than my new 148 GTL that I also use on the base. But I'm currently using a far superior speaker on the 148 also. It's a very slight difference. But I find the recieve excellent on both radios. I can sometimes pull a distant mobile mud duck out with the 148 that I couldn't on the 200. The external speaker I have on on my 148 does make a difference too though, it has a better sound quality than the motorola.

This baby is a power drawing radio, which you would expect out of the export class. Mine draws about 18 amps on AM high power. I've heard of them being super tweeked and blowing fuses on a Pyramid 25 watt supply on SSB. So be prepared. Perhaps a better brand of power supply could handle it maxed out with 25 amps ;) I have a 40 amp continous Pyramid which usually draws less than half the available power on the AM high power setting (about 18 of the available 40).

I'm going to be putting an on off switch on the talk back. I have a very old school motorola speaker with heavy shielding, volume control, and a metal case. Not rushing out to put the on off switch on the talk back, but I will at some point. All my other speakers ranging from radio shack to my texas ranger produce a very nice squeal with my D104 hand mike at a very low setting. Some say you can use an Astatic Road Devil noise canceling power mike, which did work better (cranked up about half way before squealing) than the D104 hand mike, but I still couldn't crank it all the way up with most speakers, or even the stock speaker. That Motorola speaker was a life saver till I get the on off switch installed in the talk back. All in all I would rather have the talk back than not to have it, I need to know how I sound, especially with the echo. I didn't have any problems with the stock Cobra mic, which BTW is way to big to be that light! They need to throw some weights in it :) With the D104 hand mic on it, cranked up all the way, this radio is really swinging!

I really don't use SSB hardly at all. But I tried it out a couple of times and didn't have any sort of problem talking some DX.

The NB/ANL does cut down slightly on your recieve. I can see where there would be a fix for that. But it doesn't seem to me to be worth the trouble to mail it in for the repair, or even have it done right away locally. It isn't a very big deal to me. A very slight difference when trying to pull out those distant mobile barefoot mud ducks. I could see in a mobile installation with ignition noise it might be more of a problem. I was planning to use this in my mobile, but now I gotta have it for my base :) On my base I don't have the need for NB/ANL so it's not really a factor.

As far as the channel rejection goes, it doesn't seem any worse than my 148 GTL. We have some big radios in Detroit and I get wash sometimes regardless of what radio I use, from Browning to Cobra to Midland. This one isn't special in that department, about average with the rest of my radios. Perhaps Cobra has tweeked the newer ones some?

The "nightwatch" is very cool ;) Roger Beep and echo on a "HAM radio", that's some funny stuff :) I think real HAMs might hunt you down, lol. I would have liked to see a tone control like on the 148 GTL (I think some might go speaker hunting to get that "just right" tone), and I prefer how the 148 GTL has ANL and NB/ANL as different selectable options. On the 200 it's NB/ANL on or off together. I find the SWR needle more sensitive on the 200 than the Cobra 148 GTL, people tend to hit me harder on the 200 than they do on the 148. It's all the same, but it might be why some feel the 148 GTL has such superior ears than the 200 (I can hear this guy hitting me with a 3 on my 148, but I can't hear a guy hitting me with a 3 on my 200 kinda thing). The 148 GTL does indeed have *slightly* better ears. But on the 148 I can't always reach the people on the edge I can hear, I sure can with the 200.

After working out a few bugs (any export type radio needs some work/tweeking), I love this radio. If you've got a tech (for the conversion, power tweek, and I highly suggest an on off switch on the talk back) in your area you trust, this is a really really nice radio. If you get the on off switch for the talk back, don't worry about any modulation adjustments, the Astatic D104 will really swing that radio plenty. If you don't have the skill or anyone in the area you trust to work a few bugs out of it, I wouldn't suggest you get it (or any export type radio, they all need the tweeking). Lucky for me I have an excellent tech in the area, if your in SE Michigan, and need someone, drop me a PM. He's seriously done 100's of these. I give it a 9 on a 10 scale. I've never found a 10 or a 10 scale yet, I doubt I ever will ;) Hope this helps someone.
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

Good review.

Madhadder has that radio with a fatboy 4 pill attached. PEP was running around 150 or so. Have talked to him on the radio before and it sounded good. He is running a preditor 10K on a tri mag mount.
causmik
Donor
Donor

cobra 200 GTL

Post by causmik »

I have been using Cobra 200 GTL DX for about 8 months and I need to say that it is the cleanest sounding radio I have ever heard and/or had the pleasure of owning. I use a second radio with headphones as my talkback as I have found that what I hear through the talkback doesn't always sound the same as what others hear. I have heard others comment to each other on how nice this base setup sounds even without my asking for a check. I have turned my low power down to 2 watts and it drives my Dave Made flawlessly with lots of forward.

I have the echo in just enough to be barely noticable and then run it through my S-100 processor to give it slight chamber reverb. What a great sound. The mic is a 636-L. My Silver Eagle is way too much audio at the present moment. I will get that figured out here soon and it should really be nice.

My Sparkified Galaxy 45 MP and SWP General Lee just can't compare to the beautiful audio offered by my Cobra.

Just my two cents worth.
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

I had one of the first Cobra 200GTL's and they were junk,,bleedover, and when you turned them up they popped during the transmit, ,,Cobra called it wobble,echo without talkback ect ,couldn't get replacement finals,,,,the new 200's have 2sc2290's finals, still a nightmare to work one, but they are better,,,I'm glad Cobra didn't go to blue meter light, LEDs ect,,blue at night is hard on my old eyes,,talkback is OK, but Cobra should at least put it on a switch,,when supertuned as they call it, the 200 sounds a little distorted, but if not pushed it will talk great,,bleedover problem is better than before,,the local shop here near me wouldn't do much work on them due to the sub-size internal parts,(they have carried Cobras for 25 years) but with care these radios should last,,,,remember that 2sc2290's are a 60 watt final, so guys that try to push to get 200 watts are volting the finals, and they won't last long,,,now you ask do I have one,,,yes use it as one of my base setups, sets next to my Export killing Lafayette 1140,,,mainly talk local on it, has good audio, and good recieve,,,just don't buy an original 200,,to date there are 7 tech bulletins,,,SSB seems to be good and stable one the newer 200GTL's
Bulletin #
Service Bulletin Description
Models
How to add talkback.
200GTL DX
Receiver overloads when receiving a strong signal, resulting in distorted audio.
In addition there may be a warble in the modulation when transmitting (which the customer might describe as a popping sound during transmit).

150GTL DX
200GTL DX
Reduced adjacent channel rejection when the Noise Blanker is on.
150GTL DX
200GTL DX
“Speed-up” the echo effect (add reverb).
150GTL DX
200GTL DX
After adjusting the squelch control, sometimes received signals may sound choppy due to the squelch repeatedly opening and closing.
150GTL DX
200GTL DX
The HF50-12F MOSFET (Q35 and Q40) finals are no longer available.
NOTE: HF50-12F is not a MOSFET it's a NPN Transistor.
200GTL DX
The frequency display is not accurate.
200GTL DX
Big Guns

Post by Big Guns »

BigBopper, I just purchased a lafayette tube radio on ebay, waiting for it to get here so I can check it out. Only paid like 36.00 for it including shipping.
Madhadder1558

Post by Madhadder1558 »

my 200gtl is a later version with the 2290's..
I seen a few bad reviews on them,.. but I am glad I got one anyways..

the 6 position backlighitng is awesome, love the big meter, good RX & TX, Very clean, clear audio, great swing, .. I have to say i love mine..
just wished I could put talk back on the 10K button since they are already on the dial... & bleed over wasn't so bad when the NB is on.. only two thing I can find to pick at on it..
Other than that
It's been the best sounding & best looking radio I have had to date..

Not a day goes by i don't get compliments on a clean sounding Audio monster..lol & most think it a base..

Can't wait to get it in here on my starduster..
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

One other thing the radio does all the channels as it should, but the 10K switch doesn't do a thing on 11 meter, I do like the Nightwatch and big meter also,,
BigT

Post by BigT »

Interesting thread. I also use a Cobra 200 as a base (set up by Sparky!). I think it is good radio for the money. While it does not have that in your face loud audio it sure does have a very clean and clear sound. I have had a few compliments on the audio as well.
Madhadder1558

Post by Madhadder1558 »

mines got Audio to spare..

& like you said for the $$ you can't beat it!
You won't find another radio on the market with its features for the prices.. anytihng close is twice there price..
causmik
Donor
Donor

Cobra 200

Post by causmik »

Yeah, this Cobra 200 has lots of audio as well. Mine isn't "in your face" but I have been told many times it is definitely loud. I run my processor in compression mode all the time so that does help.
Triple5
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Triple5 »

I love my Cobra 200GTLDX! I get great reports with all the time, have a 4 pill behind it and it makes it swing hard! :) SSB works great and get good reports there too adjacent channel rejection is fine, I have the newer model with the 2290's in it and the talkback, You simply cannot beat it for the money! I have actually been thinking of buying a second one for my mobile since I use the 200 as a base!
roadrunner1
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 200

Re: Recent Cobra 200 GTL DX

Post by roadrunner1 »

Been using a later version of the 200 gtl dx for almost 3 years now in a mobile. I have been driving a mini four pill into a big eight pill and its been a great setup. I have to run the radio on the low side to drive my other equipment, too much drive on high. I have one of the best audio sounds around Houston, according to many other people. These things are hard to work on and I have only let one person work on it besides myself. The meter light went out almost 2 years ago, too hard to fix and not worth the trouble. Now the volume is starting to get very worn out. I will have to attempt to fix soon. I have put a variable time delay in the echo circuit so I can have a single repeat echo. I have added toys and such too. Its a rockin radio though. Anyone have experience replacing the volume control in this radio?

Post by 231 »

roadrunner1 wrote:Been using a later version of the 200 gtl dx for almost 3 years now in a mobile. I have been driving a mini four pill into a big eight pill and its been a great setup. I have to run the radio on the low side to drive my other equipment, too much drive on high. I have one of the best audio sounds around Houston, according to many other people. These things are hard to work on and I have only let one person work on it besides myself. The meter light went out almost 2 years ago, too hard to fix and not worth the trouble. Now the volume is starting to get very worn out. I will have to attempt to fix soon. I have put a variable time delay in the echo circuit so I can have a single repeat echo. I have added toys and such too. Its a rockin radio though. Anyone have experience replacing the volume control in this radio?
Roadrunner, start a new thread on your question please. That's really off topic to this review.

Thanks,

Getting back to topic on this buried thread, I ran mine on the base with a amplified D-104 nighthawk without a problem for quite some time. Even the stock mic sounded terrific with it. Lots of highs though in the audio, but that could often cut through the pile ups. I used mine almost exclusively on sideband...and it had MUCH better receive than any of the 148's I have, and compared to that of my old Icom IC-745 (with the exception of filtering of course). I never had the problems some had. I did notice though that very strong signals (40+) would distort but were easily copyable by turning the RF gain down.

I sold mine to a fellow forum member a couple years ago because I seldom had time for playing radio at the time and it was collecting dust. I also had mine de-tuned which like the OP I'm not one to run my stuff to the limit. It was a beautiful radio IMO, too bad Cobra didn't work the bugs out before they released it though. Too many folks had problems with them. Thankfully I wasn't one of them.
kurtis1971
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by kurtis1971 »

i have one i have not used yet i will try it this week.
roadrunner1
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 200

Post by roadrunner1 »

231 wrote:
roadrunner1 wrote:Been using a later version of the 200 gtl dx for almost 3 years now in a mobile. I have been driving a mini four pill into a big eight pill and its been a great setup. I have to run the radio on the low side to drive my other equipment, too much drive on high. I have one of the best audio sounds around Houston, according to many other people. These things are hard to work on and I have only let one person work on it besides myself. The meter light went out almost 2 years ago, too hard to fix and not worth the trouble. Now the volume is starting to get very worn out. I will have to attempt to fix soon. I have put a variable time delay in the echo circuit so I can have a single repeat echo. I have added toys and such too. Its a rockin radio though. Anyone have experience replacing the volume control in this radio?
Roadrunner, start a new thread on your question please. That's really off topic to this review.

Thanks,

Getting back to topic on this buried thread, I ran mine on the base with a amplified D-104 nighthawk without a problem for quite some time. Even the stock mic sounded terrific with it. Lots of highs though in the audio, but that could often cut through the pile ups. I used mine almost exclusively on sideband...and it had MUCH better receive than any of the 148's I have, and compared to that of my old Icom IC-745 (with the exception of filtering of course). I never had the problems some had. I did notice though that very strong signals (40+) would distort but were easily copyable by turning the RF gain down.

I sold mine to a fellow forum member a couple years ago because I seldom had time for playing radio at the time and it was collecting dust. I also had mine de-tuned which like the OP I'm not one to run my stuff to the limit. It was a beautiful radio IMO, too bad Cobra didn't work the bugs out before they released it though. Too many folks had problems with them. Thankfully I wasn't one of them.

Hmm, actually thought I was giving my opinion but you are right about the question. I'll try not to ask a question when posting a comment. :)
hou26guy
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: tram
Radio: cobra 29

Post by hou26guy »

Is there a fix for this radio I got one of the newest verisions and the channel selector only changes the channel going down not up so if im on 19 and wanted to go to 22 then I have to flip down to go all the way back around to get it wied lol