Winter project.. Journal

Tell us what you're doing from day to day. Post your daily notes here about any radio projects that you are working on.
Robj717
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Winter project.. Journal

Post by Robj717 »

Took the radio out of the truck, Cobra 29 LTD Classic and stuck that in the basement.
Mounted a Anton 99 on the roof.
Pyramid power supply. 12amp
Astatic pdc1

Cobra was worked on had a mosfet * 50watts? At a shop in PA 80.
Anton99.. 4 feet above the roof at 800 feet above sea level on top of the hill. 360 degree view from my roof with no visible obstructions ,. *country,, no real neighbors..

The astatic meter dead keys at 2. Doesn't move with modulation. Probably doing something wrong, or just doesn't show modulation swing ?

Ordered one of them RN Italy 203p amps, thinking going to loves grabbing another radio for the amp, that hasn't been opened up yet. I have a couple hundred dollars in love's points to spare..

I recently was able to acquire the original very first base station that I ever owned back in 1980.
Midland 13-879b. Works I can hear people on Channel 19 but I don't have a battery for the stock power mic that it came with..
when tested , it would swing the needle on my other radio but there was no sound..

Realistic trc 418. Need 5pin mic
Cobra29 ltc classic. Peak tuned
Motorola gm300. Waiting on software to reprogram to use for Gmrs..
Robj717
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Robj717 »

Was getting alot of skip yesterday , mostly Florida,NC,SC some NJ. It's really hard to understand what those guys are saying down there in Florida,
Robj717
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Robj717 »

Definitely need more power..
Robj717
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Robj717 »

Hooked up a little RM KL 203 amp today.. got the swrs down to 1.2. W/stock cobra 29 antron 99

I need to go get another meter so I can turn the radio down some. the astatic meter that I got from Loves I really don't trust.

Got to working on my old Midland base station that , was my father's back in 1979. Midland 13-879, w/Aftermarket power mic. Turner division JM +3.

Found the 7.5 volt battery for it- Duracell 175.
carrier signal but, no modulation. Open the mic up, green corrosion on everything that's copper.
Spent a good fifteen minutes with vinegar and a Q-tip cleaning everything and still no modulation ?

Need to go get a 4-pin Midland wired mic . see if it's the power mic, or something internal within the radio..

Also I'm on a quest for a Cobra 148.. stock.
Found several of them on the internet but they all seem to be modified or its one of those Malaysian looking things .. i want the old one..