CB Handles

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
Red Drum

CB Handles

Post by Red Drum »

Just thought it would be neat to have a forum topic for cb handles in the index. It's interesting to hear where cb talker handles come from. Many of them have a story behind them and many can tell alot about a person's personality, hobbies, etc. I guess everyone has heard a specific handle sometime or another and thought...I wonder how he got that handle? Some are picked by the person using the cb & others have been given or tagged with a handle. I traveled with my grandfather daily in the summers on I-85 to Charlotte, NC where he talked on the cb some & taught me work ethics that are with me still to this day. I worked with him in under a work permit when I was 15 and many years afterwards. His handle was "Red Drum" and I grew up with him fishing @ Carolina Beach & the Outer Banks of North Carolina for Drum. He passed away a few months ago, and since I didn't have a handle, I decided to take his handle over out of remembrance for him if nothing else. I've talked under this handle for awhile now and haven't really had any feedback, other than fishing releated, until a guy on a local channel I talk on asked me if I had seen the old horror movie where a guy was looking in his rear view mirror and seen "redrum" which backwards spells "murder". It was interesting conversation if nothing else. A co-worker of mine said his dad was a big cb talker in Colorado. He was driving down a dirt road one day and seen a toad hopping across the road in front of him. He took the handle..."Dirt Road Toad". I thought that was neat! There are others....some I have seen on this forum. "Thumper"...when I joined the forum he was bailing out for awhile because his wife had a bun in the oven. I guess we know where his handle comes from? "Phase"...not sure about that one yet. I think his avatar explains it and I like it. "Bigbopper"...from the 50's and he bops mudducks? "Stickman"...I picture a skinny fellow? "Bozo"...a clown type personality? Anyway, just thought it would be neat to have a topic for handles so I sent it in. If nothing else it would be fun reading and would give forum members a way to identify with the member they are communicating with if they new some history behind their handle. I know the man heading up this site has his hands full and by the way is doing a great job. I have really enjoyed it and have learned alot from reading throughout the forum. Keep up the great work!
BigBubbaBD

Post by BigBubbaBD »

"SouthernThunder"

Ive been using that forever. I picked it up when I was small and I cant really remember who what where or when I got it.
I talk with a nice southern Accent (maby because im from NC :wink: )
and I will take a stand for what I beleve in maby. Never really put much thought into it but have been called it forever.
Back in the day that was part of my wrestling name. But then I blew out my knee twice so that career path ended. "SouthernThunder ____"
Its also a HankWilliams JR. Song.. But I had that name before I ever heard that song. Maby whoever called me it for the first time got it from that song I dont know.

I also go by "308" Sometimes "SouthernThunder308" If I feel like putting the two together.
The 308 is well 3=Earnhardt (best there ever was and will be) and 8= Earnhardt Jr.

So thats all the story I got.. Not very interesting but there it is in all its glory.. or tobacco tar

I like where you took your Grandfathers Handle. Thats great!. What a nice show of respect in my opinion. Very thoughtfull!!
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

Big Bopper was given to me years ago, by a girl friend,, as I was a teenager in the 70's and listened to 50's music, and would sing Chantilly Lace,,,,Hello Baby!!! You know what I like!!! Most of my non CB buddies call me Bopper

Then in the late 70's I was in a CB club and was issued "Buckeye 104" for a skip,,probably a simple story,,,,and haven't looked back,,,,I still use both

Red Drum

Handle History

Post by Red Drum »

That's what I'm talking about. The history behind your handle tells others alot about who you are and where you came from and it is interesting. You're alot like me when it comes to Dale Sr. He was & will always be "The Man". I'll never forget the day he died. I was on Lake Norman fishing a bass tournament. When we pulled the boat out of the water we heard it on the radio that he had had a bad crash but no word on his situation yet...it's like this couldn't be happening. I haven't looked at racing the same since he died. He was the reason I went to Charlotte & Bristol to watch him race and the reason I kept up with racing. Every time I turned on the race I was looking to see where he was. It didn't really matter if he was at the front or the rear of the pack. It was all about what he was going to do as the race came to an end. I know what you mean about the accent. When I talk to people up north...some laugh and say they can't understand me and some really like it. If they laugh then ok, If they don't, then that's ok too...I'm proud of it and that is who I am. Hate to hear about your knee. Never know what could have came of it. By the way...Hank Jr. was always my favorite coming up too. I've got most of his tapes. Dang'it...I'm getting old..tapes. I should be saying CD's. Thanks for the reply on my post. I'll be trying to contact you on the radio in the future. You've already told me in a previous pm what channels you monitor. I'll keep an ear out for you. I guess I'm going to have to join up with "The Pirates" and get me a call number so when I hear other members I can contact them more easily.
DAYDREAMER

Post by DAYDREAMER »

JUST BECAUSE I AM!
oknaz

CB Handles

Post by oknaz »

I started out as TAZ because he is a crazy cartoon . But when i started hunting with my father we alway's carried the name brand gun RUGER ever since that i've kept the handle Ruger44Mag since it's my favorite pistol to shoot .

If i'm shooting skip i'll use PDX-610 or Ruger44Mag on AM side .
THUMPER

Post by THUMPER »

sounds like a good idea i'll make a topic for it in gen, chat if that ok with ya all
BobOstro61

Post by BobOstro61 »

BarTender

Has nothing to do with alcohol or anything like that. It goes way back to the 80's when I was in a heavy metal band playing guitar and the "whammy bar". the guys in the band gave me the nickname "The BarTender" so I started using it as my handle too. When I got back into the cb radio thing this year, I just started using the same handle again.

For shooting skip, I use 961 on the south side of Chicago or PDX961.
hotrod459magnolia

Post by hotrod459magnolia »

WELL I GOT THE NAME HOTROD FROM MY WIFE'S DAD. BACK WHEN I WAS DATING HER I GOT ALOT OF TICKETS FOR GOING REALLY FAST AND GETTING CAUGHT SO THATS HOW I GOT MINE!!!!!!! I ALSO GO BY 459 IN THE MAG WHEN TALKING SKIP.
steelrain

Post by steelrain »

I gave myself the handle of Steel Rain, got it from the Iraqs in the first golf war. Im a crew member on a multiple luanch rocket system (MLRS) knowen for its houndreds of bomblets it drops on targets. After the war it cought on in the field artilery world. So when i put in my new cb after yearas of not having one i kinda thought about it for a handle. then I ran into cbtalkradio and decided on it. Back in high school a friend started calling nissan man becouse i drove a 4 wheel drive nissan. That cought on with every one. My uncle goes by gun stock not sure why. My dad during hunting season velcrowed evry thing to the dash. binos, cell phon, boxes of bullets, cb mic and more. So every one started calling him velcro man. I know a bow hunter goes by runin bear. well thats all i have for now. It is interesting to see wher some names come from.
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

HAMMER

Well, it says a lot about me. When I was in Corporate America they started doing studies to find out what your personality was. Many of you know about those but my type was "Driver" and slang for that was "Hammer". Since I was the manager of a retail outlet I had to Hammer quite a few employes. Other aspects are I am a carpenter by trade and swing a "Hammer", I like to drive Hammer Down, and I drive in the Hammer lane not to mention I like to Hammer ppl on the radio.

I have had so many handles in the past, they changed as I changed or my circomstances in live changed.

My skip handle is PDX 199 or 199 in Hotlanta. Ones and Nines are good numbers to use during keydown comps so I have been told so I figured they would be good to shout out on the airwaves. I live in Atlanta GA and it has been know for years as Hotlants for the durn heat here.
Last edited by Phaze91460 on August 6th, 2006, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayray1963

Post by rayray1963 »

Mines Hubcap, got it while in the Marine Corp. When I was an E5 I use to tell the guys in my company I was like a hubcap, it's there to keep the dogs for peeing on the wheel. My job was to keep the Lt. happy and out of trouble, when thing didn't go right. Which happen more then I care to remember.
troy

Post by troy »

WELL MY NAME IS TROY, BUT MY HANDLE HAS ALWAYS BEEN HARDROCK. GIVEN TO ME BY MY WIFE & FRIENDS, DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE ALWAYS WORKED OUT & KEPT IN VERY GOOD SHAPE. PEOPLE THAT KNEW ME WELL, WOULD SAY YOUR HARD AS A ROCK.. AFTER A WHILE IT STUCK. AND IT STILL APPLIES, AS I STILL WORK OUT QUITE A BIT. BEING 40. RAISING 6 KID'S & BEING A OTR DRIVER, IT'S DIFFICULT TO STAY IN SHAPE, BUT I DO MY BEST. I GUESS I TRY HARD TO LIVE UP TO THE REPUTATION I WAS GIVEN :o I FUNCTION ON THE ROAD LIKE NO ONE ELSE I KNOW. WHILE ON ROAD.. I DRINK ONLY WATER, NEVER DRINK COLD DRINKS ANYTIME ANYWHERE. MY EATS ON ROAD CONSIST OF A LARGE COOLER OF RAW!!! SPINACH,CARROTS CELERY, BROCOLI, GREEN PEPPER, APPLES, ORANGES, GRAPES, GREEN BEANS, & OTHER FRUITS & VEG'S. ALWAYS RAW & I ACTUALLY LIKE THE TASTE OF ALL I EAT... SORRY TO GET OFF TOPIC HERE. LOL .
mullet

mullet

Post by mullet »

I can't decide if they call me" MULLET" because I look like one, smell like one :oops: , or because I sell em by the bunches. Probably a combination of all three :lol: . Always remember: todays mullet, not bad, yesterdays mullet, not good! See ya, bye! 8)
T1g3rEyz3

Post by T1g3rEyz3 »

Slow and Steady is my CB handle. I take a methodical approach to most things in life. No sense in getting in a hurry and making unnecessary mistakes. Especially if you can do it right the first time by taking your time. I admit, I learned this lesson the hard way.

I don't drive slow, but I am steady. 8)

I've got quite a few nicknames (hence the screenname). TigerEyz3, is a modification of a nickname my now wife gave me when we were dating back in the college days. I've always liked tigers (favorite animal) and my wife said my eyes looked like tiger eyes when the sun hit them (they're brown, with black stripes in the iris). 3 is my favorite number for many reasons, but primarily due to the Trinity of the Godhead (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).
Looney

Post by Looney »

rofl!~
T1g3rEyz3

Post by T1g3rEyz3 »

Are you stalking me? :?
THUMPER

Post by THUMPER »

i think so! :shock:
windbreaker

Post by windbreaker »

I started off with the handle of Rhinestone Cowboy because my favorite was the song by Glenn Campbell,but back in the 80's I was at school in Dallas,Tx. and I'm a fairly big boy and some of the other students would stand behind me hence forth the handle "Windbreaker"! :D :D :D :D
abuasa

Post by abuasa »

St. James
mech daddy
An@l destroyer (but only in the bay area to irritate ppl)
Capitano
and a few others
abuasa

Post by abuasa »

Almost forgot AbuAsa. Abu -meaning father of, and Asa which is my Boys name. So all together it means Asa's pappa.
tander2114

My Handle

Post by tander2114 »

My handle is Circuit Breaker. Years ago when I was about 12 or 13 years old me and a friend began talking to each other while sitting out in each others parents car, shortly after that we we both setup base stations in our rooms which were nothing more that small base antennas with mobile radios and 12v power supplies. After we both had our setups operating we were talking over the radios and decided we needed to come up with handles he chose Little Cobra because that was the type of radio he was using, having just setup my system I was feeling the whole wiring and electrical things so I guess I decided to stay with that theme and chose Circuit Breaker and have used it ever since.

(Oh what fond memories!)
GOTA Go
Donor
Donor

Post by GOTA Go »

Gota Go Given to me by another driver because I always had to go. To much to do not enough time
Mr Gote

Post by Mr Gote »

I am Mr. Gote because of my velcro gloves....No really. My name is Bill and my friends called me Billy Goat which lead to my current handle. Mr. Gote
short fuse

Post by short fuse »

Short Fuse-pretty obvious! :twisted:
now my brother got the name Dirty Bird from a trucker he talked to all the time when he was a mechanic. he went by hawk,our last name.The driver saw him out one day after he had gotten off work and took to calling him Dirty Bird!It just stuck after that!
They call my dad Wild Bill,apparently he liked to use the Georgia overdrive in his younger days!! :wink: