I think I want a tube base radio

This forum is dedicated to discussions about tube radios and tube amplifiers.
Deleted User 14541

I think I want a tube base radio

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I've been toying with the idea of a tube radio for a few years now but really don't know anything about them. I do know that I want a 40 channel radio that I can still buy tubes for if I need to replace them. I look on eBay regularly but I think those "vintage" radios sell for more than they're worth...and may not even work.

Can anyone recommend some good radios and what I can expect to pay for one?

Re: I think I want a tube base radio

Post by 231 »

Well, first of all a bump for your post. I'm certainly no expert on the old tuber rigs, that's for sure. I've always dreamed of owning an old Browning Golden Eagle MKIV some day, but blew the only chance I've had to pick one up at a reasonable price. I think taking the first step out there like you did with a post may be a move in the right direction. Provided a couple of the more experienced tube radio members jump in anyway. Some of them have some excellent collections and a very good eye for what one might expect to pay...not to mention what to stay clear of.

Hope to see some posts here for ya' and a bump.
:icon_e_wink:
Craig
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Craig »

You can still purchase tubes for most radios but please keep in mind that they can be a bit pricey another concern with older radios is dried out electrolytic capacitors, cracked solder joints, bad power supplies, crystals .. the list is endless. Working on tube type equipment is a bit trickier than transistorized radios since your dealing with potentially lethal voltages something not for the the novice. An experienced tech is worth their weight in gold in my opinion, that said decent tube-type equipment that I would consider.

Browning Golden Eagle Mark IV - $300 - $450
Tram D201A - $250 - $350

I would also suggest a considering a amateur rig like like the Yaesu 101E which are fairly inexpensive and will give you that tube experience and performance without breaking the bank plus replacement parts are plentiful.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

543FtWorth wrote:I've been toying with the idea of a tube radio for a few years now but really don't know anything about them. I do know that I want a 40 channel radio that I can still buy tubes for if I need to replace them.
If you want an all tube radio 40 channel radio I don't think your not going to find one anything that has 40 channels is going to be hybrid using tubes, transistors and possibly intergrated circuits but nearly all of the early 23 channel ones will be all tube.
Tubes are not too much of a problem to find but one thing to consider if the power transformer was ever to go bad it would be somewhat difficult to find a replacement with the correct voltages on the secondary needed for that particular radio.
Deleted User 14541

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind if the radio has some solid state circuitry just as long as has some glass. There's just something about tubes. I remember an old tube tv that my grandfather had. I used to peak through the vents on the back and when I turned it on to watch them glow. :lol: I can't see myself paying over a couple hundred bucks for one because of the age but will keep an eye out.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

543FtWorth wrote: I don't mind if the radio has some solid state circuitry just as long as has some glass.
If you want the sound that only tubes can produce when transmitting make sure whatever radio you get is using a tube speech amplifier and modulator.
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by 293 »

My choice would be Tram D201 hand wired.........Browning Mark 4A.........Browning Mark 3 w/siltronics 90-3 vfo.
linx

Post by linx »

I own a Browning Golden Eagle Mark 3. They are a little less desirable than the Mark 4 and generally more affordable.

Just take your time, and make the right choice. I wasn't looking for mine heavily but had wanted one for a while and when she showed up on Craigslist I grabbed it. You never know what kinda deal you may get. Mine had a D104, the Transmitter, the Reciever, and a external VFO box for under 100 bones. I wouldn't sell it for under $400, lol.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi 543FtWorth

I would recommend a Tram D201A. It has 40 channels and there are still parts available for it. They were made in New Hampshire. It has SSB and a VOX control for us lazy keyers.

Just my 2 cents.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 10956.html

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 10957.html

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
Wing Ding
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Wing Ding »

the dak X comes to mind. tubes are still out there, but expensive. they sound great on the air, too. nothing beats that glass tube audio.
Deleted User 14541

I've done a little research on the Tram D201A and found an article about the channel selector knobs being prone to failure and next to impossible find a replacement. Is there any truth to this?

I really like the Yaesu FT101's because of their power and frequency coverage. I don't have a ham ticket but like to listen to the ham bands when 11 meters is dead. I'm going to keep waiting for a good deal to come along at the right time.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

When you say 40 channel and tube it does narrow the field if it is a CB but ham rigs are out there as mentioned. I ran a D201A back in about 83 and even then, when they were way newer, they were a little high maintenance but still fun. Given tube scarcity, I'm sure it is even more of a challenge as radio shack doesn't have tubes and a tube tester any more. I'm not sure why everyone has to say "hand wired". Other than a "hand wired" Tram, were all other radios wired 100% by robots or something? Maybe some were, but I'm not sure if something done by a precisely programmed machine is inferior to something error prone humans are capable of. Trams stopped being made in like 1978???? somewhere along in there, so they're all old by now. ALL Heath stuff is hand wired and built but you never hear it called that. :lol:

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Craig
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Craig »

linx wrote:I own a Browning Golden Eagle Mark 3. They are a little less desirable than the Mark 4 and generally more affordable.
I have to disagree I will take a Browning Mark III over a Mark IV any day of the week. The Mark IV was problematic talking to former Browning engineers they readily admit the Mark IV was rushed into production necessitating changes leading to the model IV-A. Even with the changes former engineers describe as a "band-aid" at best since Browning was pressured meeting new FCC regulations at the time of manufacture.

The model III had a steel chassis while the model IV used circuit boards if I'm correct causing problems with overheating, cracked solder joints and tube sockets, the PLL used in the model IV was also very problematic. Seem to recall one of the former Browning engineers has as site somewhere with better explanations and suggestions on correcting a few of the flaws with the model IV. There's also extensive discussion from former Browning engineers at another forum, do some searching you'll find it.

I was a proud owner of a Mark III for many years, never had a single issue with the radio and after more than a decade sold the radio for more than I originally paid. I don't think I'll by another even if they're wonderful radios due to age related issues and the proliferation of much better radios today.
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

My Yaesu 101E will be on the market soon, I have the original mic, manual, and box that will be included also. It will be expensive to ship, this radio is heavy. I will post in the "For Sale" area.
sandy7

Post by sandy7 »

543FtWorth wrote: Can anyone recommend some good radios and what I can expect to pay for one?
Are you comfortable doing your own electronics repair work?
Point to point soldering, etc.
Typically you can find a 40 channel tube rig like the Colt Midnight Special or Gemtronics GTX-5000
but they usually need some restoration work, typically all the capacitors need to be replaced and the chassis
scrubbed clean.
peterwo2e
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: gp and a beam
Radio: icom 7000/browning

Post by peterwo2e »

browning mk3, brough me back to cb radio, it heats up the room really good. but when i hit that driver x-80 into a (top of the line amp)
and that pinger almost get the external palstar watt meter (2000 w) to the wall, you know is a browning. nothing else feels like a browning.
Nuke Waste
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Nuke Waste »

I would like a Tram D201 as would most of us that can to tube work. I am restoring a Robyn T240R. I have been looking for one for about 30 years. I want to find some spray that I can clean the chassis with. It has decades of nicotine and tar in it. I restore Turner +3s and D104 lolly pops if anybody needs that kind of help. I won't wire mics for free for just anybody, but if you are a handicapped veteran I will offer obnoxious help.
Thanks to everybody who has helped me this far.
Grinder74
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Grinder
Call Sign: KE8EOJ
Antenna: 102"GP, 2M Yagi
Radio: Kenwood TR-751a, Yaesu FT8800, President HR2510, Uniden TRC-465, Teaberry "T" 40ch

Post by Grinder74 »

The 23ch Trams can get extra channels using the VFO if it has been modded. I just traded for one but the guy forgot the mic so I haven't played with it yet.
KE8EOJ
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

I have to agree with the consensus of opinions. The Eagles are great have owned a MKIVA for years but its in the geriatric eagle hospital now. Age has caught up with it and needs a refit. I am sure when it returns it will be the voice on the air again. The Trams are great, have always wanted a DAK10. Have a FT101 also for years, love it too. But also have owned several Siltronics 1011's as well. They seem to be a little more temperamental but give you something to fiddle with. If you have experience or a tech close at hand might consider that. the siltronix is not much of an am radio as is most of the ham rigs. One final note I didn't use my Eagle much on SSB it's kind of a pain on the bu*#. Just my 2 cents.
Mark
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

721HACKSAW wrote:My Yaesu 101E will be on the market soon, I have the original mic, manual, and box that will be included also. It will be expensive to ship, this radio is heavy. I will post in the "For Sale" area.

101 is solid, just make sure you have the 6khz filter. Or your gonna have some issues!! :clown:
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
Cool Mule

Post by Cool Mule »

If your not a technician, I would stay away from tube radios. Yes, they sound better and real radios glow in the dark and will keep you warm in winter. Best to leave them to the old hams. There is far more to running them than just turning them on and mashing the button on the mike. They also have voltages that will kill you!!!!!

I run an old Swan 500 on the HF bands. Got to tinker with it all the time. Tube radios are prone to drift. The old Swan 350 was so bad they call it a "Swan 3 drifty" :) Of course there is something about a "real" radio. The smoothness of the tuner, setting the bias and dipping the plate on those precision knobs, and of course the back injuries from moving the radio and power supply!

The only pople still making tubes are the Russians and the Chinese. Used sweep tubes are now $60 a pair. The day when you have to replace,say, a final with a Russian replacement, you may have to reconfigure the circuits and even rewind the transformer for the new voltages! Tubes are voltage amplifiers while transistors amplify current. Think about how transistors are getting scarce in RF amps these days, the door has closed on tubes.
Deleted User 14541

I forgot about this thread. I figured out how to get the warm sound I was after from a cobra 148.
Swan270
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Dipoles, 5/8 GP
Radio: Swan 270, ICOM 718

Post by Swan270 »

Go with the Yeasu or a Swan/Soltronix. The old Swans are easy to retune to 11 mtrs and tho the watts will drop because of the retune, they will still put out 60 or so barefoot.
2 wires hook me up, 3 wires cook me up!
tulmkr
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: PDL II
Radio: Many

Post by tulmkr »

Post is a little old, but my reply is that you should start out with something that doesnt require alot of maint. The brownings and trams are great, but can get pricey with upkeep. Keep your eyes open for a sonar 40 channel. they arent cheap, but will never break down. Pick up a demco modulator, and an un-amplified d-104, and youll be blasting away like mad. Couple that with a 3, or 4 tube amp, and you are 10-8. If you arent set in stone on the 40 channel rig, look for a sonar fs-23. You can also run a vfo if you really wanted the channels. The glenn vfo works best with the sonar. You can also pick what channels you really think you will want, and swap some crsytals.
p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: P38
Antenna: wilson5k,sirio!
Radio: magnums9 /madison

Post by p38 »

Every one loves the brownings but what about the dak ? I have the chance too get my hands on one for 350
Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.