tune to the ham band ?

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

tune to the ham band ?

Post by spartacus »

Can the trc 427 be tuned to the ham band ?
'Doc

Re: tune to the ham band ?

Post by 'Doc »

It can -probably- be re-tuned for 10 meters, but just be sure you really want to do that. It shouldn't be a huge problem, but it will mean that there will be changes in the radio which may not be 'switchable' back and forth.
I also think that you won't be 'perfectly' satisfied with using that radio on the ham bands, there really are differences between the two types of radios. Some of those differences are in performance, the more common differences are in convenience.
- 'Doc
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by spartacus »

'Doc wrote:It can -probably- be re-tuned for 10 meters, but just be sure you really want to do that. It shouldn't be a huge problem, but it will mean that there will be changes in the radio which may not be 'switchable' back and forth.
I also think that you won't be 'perfectly' satisfied with using that radio on the ham bands, there really are differences between the two types of radios. Some of those differences are in performance, the more common differences are in convenience.
- 'Doc
OK, that's what I'm trying to figure out, how diffucalt is it to do AND what are the differences. As far as I can see, and I could be and probally am wrong, the onlt difference is the frequency, correct ? DO you know what and how to do it ?
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

The TRC-427 is using a TC9106 ROM (read only memory)for the PLL it can't be reprogramed to change frequency and there is no loop mixing crystal that can be changed to add additional frequencies.

To put it on 10 meters which would be the nearest ham band where it would tune easily would require a major reworking of the PLL synthesizer and the radio would also have to be realigned everytime it was switched between 11 and 10 meters which wouldn't be practical. Also it's an AM only rig and most operation on 10 is USB with some small portions that are used for AM , FM and CW.
Last edited by Night Crawler on April 22nd, 2010, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by spartacus »

Ok and thanks. If I do this, it would be a one time deal to the ham band. And before you ask, yes I do have a ham lic.
It might be fun to try it and see what happens. Thanks again !
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

spartacus wrote: If I do this, it would be a one time deal to the ham band. It might be fun to try it and see what happens.
Just curious how are you going to get it to change frequency from 11 to 10 meters?
There's no in loop mixing it's all done with the TC9106 ROM which is not programable.
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by spartacus »

I'll proballly have to change some parts in the PLL synthesizer and take it from there.
DO you know where I can get a parts list etc for this unit ?
Thanks
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

What parts are you going to change in the synthesizer?

What I'm trying to tell you is that it can't be done not with TC9106 PLL.
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by spartacus »

Night Crawler wrote:What parts are you going to change in the synthesizer?

What I'm trying to tell you is that it can't be done not with TC9106 PLL.
Well, then it's going to take thought.....mabe it can't be done....mabe I can get another
PLL from another unit....but, no mater how it turns out....I'll have fun.
Thanks again
:biggrin:
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

spartacus wrote:Ok and thanks. If I do this, it would be a one time deal to the ham band. And before you ask, yes I do have a ham lic.
I wouldn't do this. I'm not trying to be a wise ##@% but I would get a 10 meter radio on the second hand market with SSB to talk on the Ham bands. I don't know a soul around here that uses AM on 10 meters and if you hear someone on the 10 meter Ham band, you won't understand them because they will be on SSB. I don't mess around with AM. It can probably be done but it would be a waste of time. To me it's not worth it and I had my license since 1992. (Still a Cb'er though........ :cheers: )
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by spartacus »

De_Wildfire wrote:
spartacus wrote:Ok and thanks. If I do this, it would be a one time deal to the ham band. And before you ask, yes I do have a ham lic.
I wouldn't do this. I'm not trying to be a wise ##@% but I would get a 10 meter radio on the second hand market with SSB to talk on the Ham bands. I don't know a soul around here that uses AM on 10 meters and if you hear someone on the 10 meter Ham band, you won't understand them because they will be on SSB. I don't mess around with AM. It can probably be done but it would be a waste of time. To me it's not worth it and I had my license since 1992. (Still a Cb'er though........ :cheers: )
Well, Mabe your right. I just wanted to experment with something different. Mabe I'll just tweek the output upa bit (if I can) and use it as a CB.
DO you know how to get more pwr output out of this thing ? What is the limit on CB's ? 5 Watts ?
BIG question...does the FCC still regulate the CB's and do I need a license ? What are the rules of CB ?
Thanks !
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

spartacus wrote:
De_Wildfire wrote:
Well, Mabe your right. I just wanted to experment with something different. Mabe I'll just tweek the output upa bit (if I can) and use it as a CB.
DO you know how to get more pwr output out of this thing ? What is the limit on CB's ? 5 Watts ?
BIG question...does the FCC still regulate the CB's and do I need a license ? What are the rules of CB ?
Thanks !

On CB the legal power limit is 4 watts on AM and 12 Watts SSB. Working on your antenna is more important than raising the power level on the CB. The higher the better. You can have the most expensive radio on the market with lots of power but it won't do any good unless you have a real good antenna. I only run legal limit on CB but for your info.........To come up every pound on the meter, you have to double the power. There comes a point where it isn't worth it. If you peak a radio all the way up, you could be shorten the life of the radio. You say you have your license. You'll understand this one. On the 10 meter band, if I am going to run 300 watts, I will run my radio at 12 watts into a amp. It is cheaper to fix the amp than to peak my radio and make it sweat all the way up past it's designed specifications. That would suck the life out my radio over time. That would be a major repair bill especially in a software defined radio. I wouldn't take any radio past what it is designed to do but that's me. I've been a Cb'er since the 80's and heard a lot of people peaking their radio's up. Some radios sound really distorted because they want to max out that power on the radio. You want to have fun with that radio with a receive, try swapping a crystal or something and see if you hear the fast food drive through frequencies. Some still use VHF. I think it is a 6.5536 mhz crystal that you can find in an old toaster. :lol:
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by spartacus »

Thanks for the info, I might give it a try.
BTW, the cb I have might not be xmitting.
How can I tell without an antenna ?
any ideas.
Thanks again.
Spartacus (KF5EXS)
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

spartacus wrote:Thanks for the info, I might give it a try.
BTW, the cb I have might not be xmitting.
any ideas.
Thanks again.
Spartacus (KF5EXS)

Radio>>>>>>>>>>SWR/WATT METER>>>>>>>>>> Dummy Load
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by spartacus »

But no SWR/WATT METER....I wish I had one......I have to wait until the first
until I buy one. Thanks.....Spartacus
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

spartacus wrote: BTW, the cb I have might not be xmitting.
If you don't know I wouldn't make any attempt at modifying that radio for 10 meters.
spartacus
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by spartacus »

Well, If the xmit comes on and you can hear the relay kick in.....Are you xmitting ?
I asked for help.....not sas.....