MODULATORS

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
Working Cowboy

MODULATORS

Post by Working Cowboy »

I was just reading about the differance between modulators and amps. Do these things work?
Mississippifrog

Post by Mississippifrog »

I would like to hear the answer to this as well.Will a modulator make a big difference on a S/W/P radio?
Working Cowboy

Post by Working Cowboy »

Bump it up

Post by Guest »

BUMP IT DOWN
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

The word "modulator" has many meanings now-a-days. First modulator kits for inside radios are a joke! Often installed by techs that only know how to connect the wires, these generic kits should be avoided. Maybe theres someone out there making a generic kit that works well, but Ive yet to have seen one.

Second type is a modulator, or amplifer. Modulators are small linear amps used to drive bigger amplifers. Example, a texas star mod v, this amp is designed to drive a texas star straight 8 pill box like a 1200 or 1600. Modulators are also sometimes called drivers. Really however most any small amp can be bet up like a modulator.

The reason a modulator makes you "loud" is because when driving a big amp, these small amps key low watts, and swing high watts. If you use a superwackpacked radio, you'll see the same results. Why? Low deadkey, high swing!
Duck Commander

Post by Duck Commander »

Roodknocka so it would not do me any good to put Texas Star Modulator for a driver it would not make it any louder right.
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

"Louder" is a crazy term. Whats louder really?? It will do more watts, but not be louder. However to those further away they'll think your louder, because your doing more watts! Does that make sense?
If you run a mod v, make sure you turn down the radio to low rf power.
Duck Commander

Post by Duck Commander »

yeh that makes sence appreciate it RA.
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

I had a Texas Star MODULATOR, If I remember right it put out about 50 watts, used it to drive a Sweet Sixteen,,,,nowadays you can get radios to drive a sweet sixteen without a MODULATOR, like the SWP General Lee
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

Well Bopper they do about 90-110 usually, but your 10000% right, you can nearly use a dual final radio as a driver. Infact if they want "loud" under driving that box can make it really loud! The texas star mod v is my favorite little texas star box.