Midland 1001z Mods

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
stewbeans22
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Midland 1001z Mods

Post by stewbeans22 »

Really looking for some help in doing some mods to my Midland 1001z. I just run it in my pickup so I am trying to do this as cheap as i can go. Any and all help would be appreaciated.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Midland 1001z Mods

Post by Night Crawler »

stewbeans22
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by stewbeans22 »

I have tried to read it, and have read it thruoghly. I got confused when they said they were looking for RV2 and D8 then the next post said it was RV4 and D8. So which one is it I need to adjust and should I turn fully clockwise or fully counter clockwise? Then I cannot find L201, L202, L203. I also cannot locate R999 and the red and white wires in that par of the post, I was confused about that. The furthest I got was turning RV4 and spreading the coils on RFC5. From there I stoped cause I didn't wan to do any damage to the radio.

Thanks for the help.
BobCB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: A99, Browning BR-140
Radio: Cobra 25LTD(varies)

Post by BobCB »

Good luck finding any info, I can't find any info on google and no one seems to be willing to help. I want to peak a 1001z also; I have schematics and all that, I just want to know what to do next.
854/BigDog in Central Alabama
stewbeans22
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by stewbeans22 »

Yeah that's where I am stuck right now. If you read the heading to the website it says something on there about the nicest people and getting loads of help, but so far as you can tell I and you are getting nowhere. How ironic.
Rockafella
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Midland 1001z

Post by Rockafella »

look. im the one that mis posted and said RV4... the RV4 pot is for the RF gain so if you turn it up its no going to matter.

if you want to peak the radio turn the RV2 pot all the way up. if your confused on which way "up" is, just use your noggin. if the radio is set at 4 watts per the FCC, then that would be at the lowest setting right? so turn the rv2 pot to the highest setting. you will turn the pot to the left, that is, turn the screwdriver to the left which moves the contact on the pot to the right.. the contact will be all the way up and it will be to the opposite side of the stock setting. if you cant get that, i don't know what to tell you. its super easy. it will give you about 10-12 watts of TX power.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

stewbeans22 wrote:Yeah that's where I am stuck right now. If you read the heading to the website it says something on there about the nicest people and getting loads of help. How ironic.
I put down the tuning points in the other thread and a link to it was posted that information I got by reading the schematic. What else do you want me to do?
Rockafella
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Midland 1001z

Post by Rockafella »

And I mentioned above that I had mistyped on my reply. Here are what all the pots do: RV1-squeltch. RV2-modulation. RV3- S meter. RV4- RF meter.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

stewbeans22 wrote:Yeah that's where I am stuck right now. If you read the heading to the website it says something on there about the nicest people and getting loads of help, but so far as you can tell I and you are getting nowhere. How ironic.
It's hard to get a lot of responses for "mod" information on a borderline basic radio like the Midland 1001Z, a radio that really has little information posted about it online anywhere even to begin with. Not exactly abundant, I've looked. Although the Midland is probably just a step up, it's sort of like wanting to "mod" or tune a Cobra 19 Ultra or something---of all radios it could probably use it the most, but many would think "why bother ?". As far as lack of replies or information given so far, I've found really that posting questions in "lesser known" areas, odd subjects or less-popular models etc-----will always simply result in a lower response yield on almost any forum anywhere. It's not so much from people not being nice or not wanting to share help.

If you think about it, Night Crawler already included the link in his post above there, to a very similar thread from not that long ago----where what you're basically looking for can be found. He of all people would know. I know it can be frustrating but just don't take it so personal, some might opt to link to existing information first, rather than to repetitiously repeat the same information they've written in another thread already-----so they might choose to link to it instead. I once posted and asked about the 1001Z and 5001Z radios myself, and didn't get any answers---but it does happen and I didn't take it personal, I just figured it's not a popular radio and the odds were low that I'd get a whole lot of interest.

You understand what I'm trying to say ?

Foxhunter 351 NJ

Midland 1001Z peak
http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... =9&t=30395
stewbeans22
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by stewbeans22 »

I see what you are saing. Guys I am sorry for saying what I said. I do in fact find this site very helpfull. I just got mad cause I couldn't find any info on that radio. I do understand that it is a cheap radio, but I am just runing it in my pickup truck so I can get traffic and cop updates cause I drive alot on the interstate and I don't want to spend a lot of money on a radio. Much thanks for the info though. As far as the 201 202 203 coils I could not find them that is why I asked I looked all over the board, I was hoping you could tell me where they are on the board. Thanks fo all your help. Also what should I do to the other rv pots? What is the s meter exactly represent and if I adjust the modulation what would I acheve. Thanks again.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

stewbeans22 wrote:As far as the 201 202 203 coils I could not find them that is why I asked I looked all over the board, I was hoping you could tell me where they are on the board.
Those coils are not on the 1001z board.
Anything to do with the tuned output of the rf stage is using a fixed inductance which would be RFC4, RFC8 and RFC10
stewbeans22
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by stewbeans22 »

Any idea how to adjust the RFC 4,8,10. Are those pots or are they coils?
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

RFC= Radio Frequency Choke which is a coil

What you could do since it's a fixed inductance either.
1. Change them to a slug tuned variable inductance coil.

2. Add a variable cap across the coil.

3. Spread or squeeze the windings of the coil closer or farther apart.

For all that trouble you might gain a watt or two.
stewbeans22
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by stewbeans22 »

Yeah that don't really sound worth it.
JDRich
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by JDRich »

First time here. I have a 1001z and am looking for power mod suggestion only...modulation is perfect already. I did my homework and read around previous posts and out on the web and am a little suprised to the lack of info on it. I cant leave well-enough alone and want to open the radio just to clean it up a bit. "It won't be my first open radio, copy?!" It is a back up radio for my KW and just want it to be all it can be. Any help is appreciated.