Sears Roadtalker 40 AM SSB CB Radio -- a real radio?

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Sears Roadtalker 40 AM SSB CB Radio -- a real radio?

Post by Foxhunter »

Just wondering if anyone owns and uses a Sears Roadtalker CB Radio, or even some of their previous Sears CB radios ? Many of them seem to be of really good quality, like some of the best---straight out of Japan. Some of them are SSB sideband radios also! Recently I saw a pair of 10-Meter Sears Roadtalker 40's at auction on Ebay this past week, modified of course for 10M but cool. Anyone have and use one, or did have one ?

There is a beautiful mobile version of the radio (sometimes called "The Sears Roadtalker Slant Face" at auction right now on Ebay and am hopefully buying it, new unused in the box with all unopened accessories. I placed a pretty high bid on it----yet really only the price of a new "made-in-china" Cobra, so I consider it a deal. You could never get such a quality radio as this, for merely the price of a standard-issue run-of-the-mill Cobra 29 anyway. In my opinion, the radio is not only better----and is an AM-SSB radio----but with a built in AC power supply to boot! Dual AC and DC use built-in on a mobile radio is unheard of today, it is a base radio and mobile radio combined. Having this capability completely eliminates the need for (and cost of) a separate DC power supply and all the extra wiring etc, if you simply and easily want to run a mobile radio at home as a base radio. These radios have really awesome recieve.

Sears AM-SSB
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEARS-AM- ... 2a01c976a2

I see a number of these Sears Roadtalkers AM-SSB radios come up at auction sometimes-----but few are in really decent condition, most have the case cover veneer peeling, 95% of them are missing one or both of the RARE separate DC and AC power cords, that's for sure. (Tip: a few JC Penny SSB radios also supposedly used the same exact odd 6-pin power cord plug). Of all the Roadtalker mobiles, I think that the Slant Faced Roadtalker 40 versions look the best. And I will say they are much better looking in-person than they appear in photos. A heavy and solid radio with tight, precise quality function control knobs, very much like the old Philippine Cobras had.

For anyone particularly buying a slant faced Sears Roadtalker 40, there are two versions that look nearly identical in photos, but one is AM and one is AM/SSB. The SSB radio is about 3-inches longer than the AM-only version, yet look the same at a quick glance or distance-shot photo. Still, both models are excellent radios. To be perfectly honest, I bought an AM-only version "by accident" (or stupid mistake, intending to buy a SSB) this year by hastily clicking "bid", without looking at it hard to notice the difference. I should've looked for not only the "extra" SSB knob---but also (tip!) the 4 rubber bumper "feet" on the underside that only the SSB radio has. But the AM version I ended up with is an excellent radio---period. There are two versions of this radio listed as follows:

The Sears Roadtalker 40 Model 934 38110700 (AM only 13.8VDC only)
The Sears Roadtalker 40 Model 934 38270700 (AM/SSB 13.8VDC and 120VAC)

Now there are some other versions of the Sears Roadtalker also, like their base console units, of which there are also a couple different models. In the end, it is often rumored that the Sears Roadtalkers were made by either Dynascan Cobra or by Linear Systems Side Band Engineers SBE for Sears and Roebuck. Who knows ? Maybe they were. Everyone says they were great on sideband, which would make me lean towards SBE as the maker a little. What have you heard ?

Nice minty Sears Roadtalker 40 AM/SSB Mobile Base CB Radio
Sears Roadtalker 40 AM/SSB Mobile Base CB Radio RARE AC and DC 6 pin power cords

Well does any of our members use a Roadtalker ? Or have you owned one or listened to a buddy who's talked on it to you ? What was or is your opinion ? Who have you heard produced this fine radio for Sears ?

Foxhunter 351 NJ
PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: GOLDEN EAGLE Mark IV

Re: Sears Roadtalker 40 AM SSB CB Radio -- a real radio?

Post by PONY EXPRESS »

Excellent radio and were easily modified for uppers and lowers. The Fine tune control for SSB didn't slide very far in between channels but
that was no biggie. Had several locals get busted with them on channel 91 by FCC way back over on the kansas side of town
Its not a real radio unless it has tubes and USB/LSB on the front panel ....
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I have that exact Radio...AC/DC, and a very heavy radio. If moblie mounted, your going to need a good mounting point fpr this radio.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
executioner
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Executioner

Post by executioner »

Foxhunter wrote:Just wondering if anyone owns and uses a Sears Roadtalker CB Radio, or even some of their previous Sears CB radios ? Many of them seem to be of really good quality, like some of the best---straight out of Japan. Some of them are SSB sideband radios also! Recently I saw a pair of 10-Meter Sears Roadtalker 40's at auction on Ebay this past week, modified of course for 10M but cool. Anyone have and use one, or did have one ?

There is a beautiful mobile version of the radio (sometimes called "The Sears Roadtalker Slant Face" at auction right now on Ebay and am hopefully buying it, new unused in the box with all unopened accessories. I placed a pretty high bid on it----yet really only the price of a new "made-in-china" Cobra, so I consider it a deal. You could never get such a quality radio as this, for merely the price of a standard-issue run-of-the-mill Cobra 29 anyway. In my opinion, the radio is not only better----and is an AM-SSB radio----but with a built in AC power supply to boot! Dual AC and DC use built-in on a mobile radio is unheard of today, it is a base radio and mobile radio combined. Having this capability completely eliminates the need for (and cost of) a separate DC power supply and all the extra wiring etc, if you simply and easily want to run a mobile radio at home as a base radio. These radios have really awesome recieve.

Sears AM-SSB

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEARS-AM- ... 2a01c976a2

I see a number of these Sears Roadtalkers AM-SSB radios come up at auction sometimes-----but few are in really decent condition, most have the case cover veneer peeling, 95% of them are missing one or both of the RARE separate DC and AC power cords, that's for sure. (Tip: a few JC Penny SSB radios also supposedly used the same exact odd 6-pin power cord plug). Of all the Roadtalker mobiles, I think that the Slant Faced Roadtalker 40 versions look the best. And I will say they are much better looking in-person than they appear in photos. A heavy and solid radio with tight, precise quality function control knobs, very much like the old Philippine Cobras had.

For anyone particularly buying a slant faced Sears Roadtalker 40, there are two versions that look nearly identical in photos, but one is AM and one is AM/SSB. The SSB radio is about 3-inches longer than the AM-only version, yet look the same at a quick glance or distance-shot photo. Still, both models are excellent radios. To be perfectly honest, I bought an AM-only version "by accident" (or stupid mistake, intending to buy a SSB) this year by hastily clicking "bid", without looking at it hard to notice the difference. I should've looked for not only the "extra" SSB knob---but also (tip!) the 4 rubber bumper "feet" on the underside that only the SSB radio has. But the AM version I ended up with is an excellent radio---period. There are two versions of this radio listed as follows:

Now there are some other versions of the Sears Roadtalker also, like their base console units, of which there are also a couple different models. In the end, it is often rumored that the Sears Roadtalkers were made by either Dynascan Cobra or by Linear Systems Side Band Engineers SBE for Sears and Roebuck. Who knows ? Maybe they were. Everyone says they were great on sideband, which would make me lean towards SBE as the maker a little. What have you heard ?

Nice minty Sears Roadtalker 40 AM/SSB Mobile Base CB Radio
Sears Roadtalker 40 AM/SSB Mobile Base CB Radio RARE AC and DC 6 pin power cords

Well does any of our members use a Roadtalker ? Or have you owned one or listened to a buddy who's talked on it to you ? What was or is your opinion ? Who have you heard produced this fine radio for Sears ?

Foxhunter 351 NJ
Someone told me that some were made in japan by Hatichi(spelling), anyone know/heard this ?
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

executioner wrote: Someone told me that some were made in japan by Hatichi(spelling), anyone know/heard this ?
I don't know if they were made by Hitachi (correct spelling) but I was surprised to find at least 5 Hitachi CB radios were even made (see link below). I'd really like to know who made the various Sears Roadtalker versions for Sears and Roebuck.

Hitachi CB Radios
http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... /index.htm

Well mistake or not, naturally went ahead and posted this thread before the auction ends on the one radio for sale, but I have a "hefty one" ready to go against it so we'll see. But anyway despite that "glitch" in potential bidders plans (lol) I'll check the outcome on it later. It is a nice nice radio though, virgin.

Pony, that's what I repeatedly hear (when sifting through the other countless piles of otherwise useless web information) how well they are made, have excellent audio and receive, modifiable for frequencies, and very good on sideband. JJD, it is a good radio (really both versions are) and yes---the AM/SSB version particularly is VERY heavy. But it's a good solid, heavy-duty and well-built radio. In a true mobile installation, that baby better be mounted securely---I wouldn't want that thing sailing into a passenger or something.

:arrow: Buyer Tip:
One more word (useful tips) about those blasted and accursed Sears Roadtalker power cords I forgot to mention, for any members who are potential buyers. The Sears Roadtalker 40 AM-only version takes a completely different (and much simpler) power cord than does the Sears Roadtalker AM/SSB version-----because the AM-only version is DC-only. The Roadtalker 40 AM/SSB takes that really odd hard-to-find Roadtalker 6-prong power cord because it is both AC/DC. Also, the AC/DC Roadtalker 40 AM/SSB version shares the same identical power cord with the older Sears SSB 23 CB two-way radio. I wrote alot of this because there is so little online about them, in this thread here is probably more information than you might find anywhere else (if you do find more, let me know!). Hope it helps.

I have here two AM-only versions and one SSB version. My 2nd AM-only Roadtalker I just bought at a car show two weeks ago for $5!

The Sears Roadtalker 40 AM/SSB I now own was Woody's personal radio (of Woody's CB Gazette) that I bought a few months ago. I bought many things from him/them/her, not knowing the full story of what was going on. So I do have a good number of items from Woody's personal collection (considering how big it was though, really only a fraction).

I just took apart a big screen TV, so please ignore the background TV cabinet sections etc.

Size comparison of an AM-only Roadtalker 40 and a longer AM/SSB Roadtalker 40. Big difference in length.

Top view size comparison of an AM-only Roadtalker 40 and a longer AM/SSB Roadtalker 40.

I can vouch that Sears and Realistic made (or had made for them) some real quality CB radios. I also hear that JC Penny and Montgomery Ward also produced a few good units, but I've never owned any of them.

Still, with it being a Sears Roadtalker thread, anyone else own or did own one ? How about their base units ?

Especially important: Does anyone know who made the Sears Roadtalker CB radios ???

Foxhunter 351 NJ
Turbo-T
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Super Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by Turbo-T »

A friend of mine has one of those...got it free....believe it was built in '78. It receives but doesn't transmit. He also got some guys CB license with it, from '78.
231 from Missouri
PRO151

Post by PRO151 »

Used to have one, can't really remember what possessed me to let it go. I was looking at a mint one on eBay about a year ago, never did bid on it because in the first day of the auction 2 bidders ran it up to over $300.00! :shock: I got so disgusted that i took it out of my watch list and never checked to see what it sold for.

Mine was a solid radio and had good audio on both transmit an receive.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

Yeah what a bummer some CB p!rate stole my NIB Sears Roadtalker :pirat: :pale:

It's true they really are decent radios, I have yet to put some full time regular use on any of mine though but will. The one (yet untested) AM version I just bought at that car show has that loose channel selector knob that needs to be tightened then I'll check it out. Maybe it was a mistake, linking to the radio I was admiring on Ebay (and actually bidding on) but still hope it went to a good home there for whoever got it. I had a sizeable bid on it plus a last second sneak but cancelled it due to finding something else I already didn't own yet! I'll post that NEW VINTAGE UNOPENED IN THE BOX find on the "What have you recently acquired for new radio gear?" thread. Even still, boy I hated to let that Sears go.

That one that Pro151 was talking about was crazy. $300! Still, I'll bet the original cost of the radio in "yesterday's dollars" probably rivals close to $300 in todays dollars.

Foxhunter 351 NJ
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

From everything I can remember, that particular radio sold by Sears was made by Pearce Simpson...But like everything else sold by Sears, I'm sure they had several different manufactures that sold radios under the Sears name...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
super20dan
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by super20dan »

i have 3 of these and they are made by toshiba in japan. execellent radios . 1 is ssb and 2 is am only and 3 is am but nib! never been opened! these are truly hidden gems of the old school cb radios
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

super20dan wrote:i have 3 of these and they are made by toshiba in japan. execellent radios . 1 is ssb and 2 is am only and 3 is am but nib! never been opened! these are truly hidden gems of the old school cb radios
Hey there super20dan, where is it you've found or read they were made by Toshiba ? I see JJD has heard they may've been made by Gladding Corp. Pearce Simpson. Another member says he possibly thought they were made by Hitachi (Toshiba and Hitachi are both good electronics manufacturers). But, my question is, where did you find that information ? Is it marked as such in one of the instruction manuals you have of the radio(s) ?

Now to anyone generally interested, I've also read around where the Sears RoadTalker 40 AM/SSB has the Uniden 858 chip, but I don't physically see it. And it might just be another rumor, I don't know. I just went down and took my Roadtalker 40 AM/SSB apart, and don't see the Uniden 858 anywhere. I was just looking at one the other day inside my Realistic Navaho TRC-458 base radio, and they are pretty easy to locate. But, there are some silver metal square/rectangular housings inside the Sears Roadtalker 40, covering up 3 areas of the board, and I guess it could be under one of them. I kinda peeked through the adjustment holes in them and didn't see a chip under any of them, but it's hard to see and I wasn't sure how to remove them without harming something------and besides, it's very late at nearly 4:00am "the witching hour" on Halloween yet, so don't want any late-night bad luck with my sideband Sears CB.

Now it figures CBTricks has nothing for information about the Sears CB radios----except----it lists them as "Sears/Silvertone". Hmmm, "Silvertone".
Silvertone was the brand name used by Sears for their line of musical instruments and sound equipment from the 1930s to 1972. Replacing the "Supertone" brand, "Silvertone" had already been the brand on Sears' radios and phonographs since 1915
Sears Silvertone Electronics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ... struments)

Now since these are 40-channel radios we're talking about, they've got to be at least circa 1976-77, after the step from 23 channels to 40 channels. And, if the above article I quoted from and linked to is correct, then Silvertone stopped making Sears electronics before the Sears Roadtalkers came out.

Here is another interesting trivia, in case anyone else has been curious about what other companies made CB radios for Sears. I was reading a little earlier tonight that the well-known Amateur radio manufacturer Hallicrafters made some Citizens Band CB radios for Sears. But, once again, it was some of Sears earlier CB radio models like the Sears/Hallicrafters "Allstate" CB radio that was made by Hallicrafters, and Hallicrafters did not make the later 40-channel versions we are discussing above in the thread. I'm well aware that Hallicrafters also made their own CB radios and CB walkie-talkies, as I've bid on some of them in the recent past. Anyway here is a quote and the link.
CITIZENS BAND
Perhaps of limited interest is Citizens Band equipment. However, the book does not overlook Hallicrafters production of this equipment during the period from 1959 to 1967. Did you know that Hallicrafters built CB radios for Sears?
BOOK REVIEW:
Radios by Hallicrafters, By Chuck Dachis

http://www.antiqueradio.com/b ... _5-96.html

I'm really hoping to get original Sears RoadTalker 40 AM & AM/SSB owner's manuals for both versions of my radios when I get the chance, maybe it's listed within somewhere. If anyone that owns a Sears RoadTalker product manual, please review the manufacturing information listed and see/confirm who made them for Sears----and write/post the exact manufacturer data here on the CBRT Sears RoadTalker thread, so that others can find it. Honestly, I've wondered for a very long time. There are even Hams on the Ham forums saying this was a well-built radio with high-quality parts. After taking my upper and lower radio cases off tonight, I'd almost have to agree. It's one jam-packed radio chassis in there, and has anyone ever seen so many large caps !? And on the internet, there is some things written about these radios, scattered here and there. Nothing substantial or backed up with data of any kind or reference links. But almost all of what I've found is in miscellaneous radio chat forums, with absolutley no website links to verify what they are saying is true. I've already read nearly a dozen posts that were absolutely wrong about the Sears CB's, but the people posting were stating what they "heard", as fact.

If anybody ever finds out anything concrete on any of these FINE radios, please let us know. I personally would also appreciate the good information.

Foxhunter 351 NJ
Bleearg
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: rooster
Radio: SWP General Lee

Post by Bleearg »

That 934 prefix in the model number is the code for the manufacturer source. 934 Hitachi

http://www.appliance411.ca/parts/sears.shtml

Maybe funai?

http://sears.pammar.net/maker.html
General Lee SWP SR Blue light dim
Cobra 21 XLR
Cobra 25 Classic
Uniden pc66a
President Veep
Wilson Antennas 1000, 500, lil wil
RK 56 mics
super20dan
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by super20dan »

a tech with 40 years experience told me they were toshiba made. he also owned one for a while too.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

Well superdan I believe you and that the tech you were talking about also honestly thought these Sears RoadTalkers were Toshiba's. And it certainly isn't the first time I've read while searching online, where other people posted this also. The problem is, is that it can't be verified in any way with actual links to a database or information page anywhere. I'm really interested though in what people come up with. What does your user/instruction manual say about the radio ?
Bleearg wrote:That 934 prefix in the model number is the code for the manufacturer source. 934 Hitachi

http://www.appliance411.ca/parts/sears.shtml

Maybe funai?

http://sears.pammar.net/maker.html

Now this post here makes a good valid point. Looking at the site on the link provided also backs up the Hitachi claim a little more. The Hitachi Sears numerical prefix designator "934" is a really good clue. And it actually further bolsters something I read while trying to research the origins of this radio recently. The oddball Sears Roadtalker 6-pin power cord that I was talking about earlier ? I see where it is listed somewhere (at a site I can't link to) as a Sears RoadTalker "Hitachi" power cord plug. Hmmm. . . that's really interesting. Maybe they were made by Hitachi, it's looking quite possible.

Foxhunter 351 NJ
Bleearg
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: rooster
Radio: SWP General Lee

Post by Bleearg »

Foxhunter wrote:Now this post here makes a good valid point. Looking at the site on the link provided also backs up the Hitachi claim a little more. The Hitachi Sears numerical prefix designator "934" is a really good clue. And it actually further bolsters something I read while trying to research the origins of this radio recently. The oddball Sears Roadtalker 6-pin power cord that I was talking about earlier ? I see where it is listed somewhere (at a site I can't link to) as a Sears RoadTalker "Hitachi" power cord plug. Hmmm. . . that's really interesting. Maybe they were made by Hitachi, it's looking quite possible.

Foxhunter 351 NJ
The talk about the 6 pin cord enticed me to find this old sears 12" black and white tv I had when I was a kid. It was tri power 120 volt, 12 volt through cigarette lighter or with rechargeable batteries. The plug looks like those but it is a 5 pin. Manufacture date 2/1976. Model #562.50332500. 562 = Toshiba
It also says MADE IN KOREA
General Lee SWP SR Blue light dim
Cobra 21 XLR
Cobra 25 Classic
Uniden pc66a
President Veep
Wilson Antennas 1000, 500, lil wil
RK 56 mics
grandpaclint
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: voyage 9000

Post by grandpaclint »

re. the sears roadtalker 40 mobile
I have one,had it for years,it was converted to 10 meters by N6AOV,,

nice am/ssb radio, somehow i have lost the mike for it,

you need a freq.counter or you dont know where you are lol

just my 2 cents

Clint
grandpaclint
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by grandpaclint »

i have the sears roadtalker 40 mobile,it belonged to N6AOV i think Bernie is in vegas now if he is still alive,
he converted it to 10 and 11 meters,a realistic 5 pin mike will work with it,
i havent used it in years, no freq counter so you are shooting blind on the freq.
i remember it was a good talker,,i might just get it out and fire it up one of these days.

just FYI

Clint
grandpaclint
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by grandpaclint »

sorry i seem to be repeating myself my bad
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

grandpaclint wrote:i have the sears roadtalker 40 mobile,it belonged to N6AOV i think Bernie is in vegas now if he is still alive,
he converted it to 10 and 11 meters,a realistic 5 pin mike will work with it,
i havent used it in years, no freq counter so you are shooting blind on the freq.
i remember it was a good talker,,i might just get it out and fire it up one of these days.

just FYI

Clint

I wanted to say welcome to the CBRT Forum to you grandpaclint, I was just reading these posts here now. Checking the current callsign database, yes N6AOV he's an Advanced Class living out there in Las Vegas. Heh, I tend to like buying things from Advanced Class licensee's, they often tend to know what they're doing when it comes to modifications repairs etc. It's true the Sears Roadtalker shares the same type 5-pin DIN mic jack as some of the Realistic and other Cybernet radio chassis units (hmmm is the Roadtalker another Cybernet made radio?). Similar looking 5-pin DIN jacks were found on some older Cobra's and President radios, but the wiring pattern was different that the Sears/Realistic radios.

I appreciate you and everyone else writing here in the thread about these fine radios. Grandpaclint if I were you I'd go out and sit that radio down on the table some Saturday morning, give it a nice cleaning and plug it in and let it warm up for a while (since it's sat so long). Then see how she still works, I know I would!

For the most part there's no doubt I'd want to use a counter with ANY extra channel modified radio, almost no exceptions. Many of the extra channel mods don't leave them sequential and they tend to skip around sometimes. Like you said sort of, you'd be flying blind. Overall a counter is one useful radio accessory and one I'd hate to do without. I'd like to find how far above and below this radio can be modified, out of curiousity. I posted earlier that there was a pair of them for sale on Ebay that were converted for 10M only, so the seller said. Interesting. If you get a chance go ahead and grab that old Sears Roadtalker in and see if it comes back to life.

Foxhunter 351 NJ
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

As a follow-up on the Sears Roadtalker and other Sears CB radios, I wanted to post a few mod's I found for the radios from the two books "CB Tricks of the Trade" and "CB Tricks II", a couple of older books I've recently been reading through.

Sears CB Radio Mod's Modifications Adjustments

Sears Model CM6000LA
Modulation---Cut D501

Sears Model CM6000LC
Modulation---Cut D-7

Sears 23785A
Modulation---Cut loose Q-7

Sears RoadTalker 934-38260700
Modulation on AM---Cut out 9303
AM power adjust---RT-01
SSB power adjust---RT-04
Peak out on AM---T401, T402, T403, T404, T405, T407, T408
For clarifier slide---Find black wire from the clarifier control and cut it loose, then solder it to ground and IF can top. Now, take the green wire on clarifier control, cut it loose from the board, and place it on Pin 3 of I601 for eight volts regulated. Cut R-303, cut out R-04, short across R-302.

**********************************************************************************************************************
Here's a few other mod's I've copied from another site on the web. Like any of the mods found on the net, there are no guarantees and use at your own risk.

SEARS AM/SSB ROADTALKER BASE/MOBILE

SEARS ROADTALKER BASE/MOBILE

1)Open the radio and you will find a metal case around the pll chip.unsolder this. 2)Cut the trace around pin 9 and 8 . 4)Solder a 4.7k resistor from pin 8 to ground. 5)Install a 6 posistion/ double pole rotary swicth in the radio.then run wires (the red lines) from the switch posistions to the locations on the pc board. 6)Solder a 1n914 diode from pin 1 to pin 4 on the switch. 6)Solder a wire from pins 2A to 3A to 4A to 5A.

Adjust t302, the VCO,so that the radio will TX/RX on all the extra channels. HINT:USE A PLASTIC TUNING TOOL TO MAKE THIS ADJUSTMENT OR YOU WILL BREAK THE COIL!!

POSITION 1

Channel 1 to 40 is 26.485 to 26.925

POSITION 2

All the regular CB channels

POSITION 3

Channel 12 to 27 is 27.425 to 27.595

POSITION 4

Channel 1 to 40 is 27.605 to 28.045

POSITION 5 AND 6 will give regular CB Channels

CLARIFIER MODIFICATIONS

1)Find the green wire coming off the FINE TUNING control.Follow the wire to the pc board where it connects and unsolder it.
2)Find the RED wire behind the meter display and solder it to that location(there is 8VDC there)
3)Find the BLACK wire from the FINE TUNING control and unsolder it from the PCB.
4)Solder this wire to PC GROUND .
5)Find the PURPLE wire from the FINE TUNING control and unsolder that from the PC board.
6)Solder this wire to the point on the PC board where R303 and the cathode,the end with the band around it! , of D301.

This mod will give you about 3khz up/down off the "channel".
If you move the clarifier and the radio "drops out" you will need to JUMP d301 and put the purple wire back to where it was.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Foxhunter 351 NJ
grandpaclint
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by grandpaclint »

FOXHUNTER

DO ANY OF THOSE MANUALS SHOW THE MIKE WIRING ==COLOR AND PIN # PLEASE.

MY TRC449'S MIKE USED TO WORK ON THE ROADTALKER, BUT IT'S ON ITS WAY TO SPARKY'S FOR
A GOOD TUNEUP.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE
CLINT :confused:
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

The following has to be hand typed from a separate old CB microphone wiring guide I have. Hope it helps some of our viewers. Boy I wish the model numbers in the list were shorter!

Sears RoadTalker CB Microphone Wiring Guide
Covering most model CB radios made by/for Sears Roebuck and also covering microphones made by Sears, Astatic, Sadelta, Galaxy and Turner

The following page here pertains to the following Sears brand CB Citizen's Band Two Way radios listed directly below, pehaps even more:

Sears 370.38050700
Sears 562.38200700
Sears 663.38000900
Sears 663.38020800
Sears 663.38070700
Sears 934.36710500
Sears 934.36712600
Sears 934.36740500
Sears 934.36741600
Sears 934.36742600
Sears 934.36760600
Sears 934.36770500
Sears 934.36771500
Sears 934.36772600
Sears 934.38060700
Sears 934.38062700
Sears 934.38080700
Sears 934.38081700
Sears 934.38110700
Sears 934.38120700
Sears 934.38260700
Sears 934.38270700
Sears Roadtalker 3822

Standard Sears Wiring Hook-Up:

4-Audio
1-Shield
2-N/C
5-Receive
3-Transmit

Astatic Sears Mic Wiring Hook-Up #1
Includes but not limited to 636L, D104M6, 1104C, 1004CM, T-UG9, T-UP9, Silver Eagle, Golden Eagle, Night K. Eagle

4-White
1-Shield and Blue
2-N/C
5-Black
3-Red

Yellow-N/C

Astatic Sears Mic Wiring Hook-Up #2
Includes but not limited to 575M, D104M, T-UG8 Stand

4-White
1-Shield
2-N/C
5-Black
3-Red

Sadelta Sears Mic Wiring Hook-Up
Includes but not limited to Echomaster Plus +, ME-3, MB-4

4-White
1-Shield
2-N/C
5-Green
3-Brown

Galaxy Sears Mic Wiring Hook-Up
Includes but not limited to DC-521S

4-Yellow
1-Shield
2-N/C
5-Black
4-Red

Turner Sears Mic Wiring Hook-Up
Includes but not limited to Expander 500, Road King 56

4-White
1-Shield & Red
2-N/C
5-Black
3-Blue

Yellow-N/C

Footnote Included in Data Sheet That Possibly May Be Relevant or Considerable---may or may not apply:
*Also not that not shown are any of the Turner 4-wire mikes. In order to wire any of the Turner 4-wire mikes to any of the listed radios, use the wiring covered with the T-UG8 D04 information---but in most cases you may have to reverse the Black and Red wires. This also may apply to the Astatic TMD-107, Astatic TMD-107E, and Astatic 555 microphones. Use the RK-56 information to wire any Turner 6-wire mike up to the listed radios.

****************************************************************************************************************************

Additional Common Mic Wiring Information That May Be of Help

These two images are from the forum thread linked to below:

Here's an excellent straightforward wiring guide written by one of our Forum Mod's, very good for reference.

Mic Wiring 101
HOW TO WIRE ANY REGULAR OR POWER MIKE TO (ALMOST) ANY CB
by LordDragr » 11 May 2006 06:03

http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... 43&start=0

As always, I hope someone found something written here or in many of my other posts or threads either interesting or useful, hopfully even both. Write and let me know if it's been a help!

Foxhunter 351 NJ

EDIT: I added some additional mic's and a footnote included with another manual that just came in yesterday's mail. Also added a footnote on some Turner microphones, that may or may not apply. If by chance the information shown prior does not at first work, then consider the additional notes. This has all been hand copied from 2x booklets in Foxhunter 351 NJ's reference collection. Fairly common CB wiring guides that shops use. Good Luck!
Last edited by Foxhunter on November 20th, 2009, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grandpaclint
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by grandpaclint »

thanks a bunch, i appreciate all the help, now maybe i can get the ol gal up n running,

thanks again

CLINT :bounce:
grandpaclint
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by grandpaclint »

update i got the mike i have wired right,it would dead key 3 watts with absolutely no modulation
am or ssb-----------and boy am i getting skip in here today,,,,,i think the mike is bad its as old as i am
oh well ill be happy when Sparky gets done with my 449

gday all :geek:
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

Well good and hoped something in this thread might have helped you there grandpaclint---and anyone else too. Hmm it's a great idea to have a second mic to verify whether it's the mic or the radio, just in case. There's nothing like switching mic's and finding out that was all that was wrong! Good news to you, the radio and the wallet! Hope you get that thing on the air, I like mine very much----keepers!

Already, this thread is #12 on Google for "Sears Roadtalker", and #2 for Google Images for "Sears Roadtalker 40"----which is not bad at all considering how short of time it's been up. It's also great for the CBRT Forum, to place high in returned search results. Always. It'd be great for anyone with anything to say share or add on these fine radios, to please add it to the thread!

Foxhunter 351 NJ