high SWR readings

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
moondawg
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy DX 959, Cobra

high SWR readings

Post by moondawg »

When operating barefoot, the SWR needle hardly moves. When I add an amp (I've tried 3 with the same results) the SWRs go up to nearly 2, and swing backwards a little when modulation is added. I think the jumpers are fine. Do you think I can get this down by retuning my antenna (solarcon a99) or am I way off base looking for a solution?
Red Warrior
Donor
Donor
Radio: Galaxy 959

Re: high SWR readings

Post by Red Warrior »

Your amplifier looks like an antenna to your radio. Backwards swing is usually from too much modulation. Turn your deadkey down and reduce the mike gain.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
moondawg
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by moondawg »

Sorry, I may have worded that wrong. It is the SWR meter that swings downward when modulation is introduced, not the RF swing. The RF swing looks normal. One of the amps I have has the dial a watt feature and the higher I set it the higher the SWRs go. The SWR meter on the radio indicates normal SWR, it is the inline meter between the amp and feedline that reads high. Thanks in advance for any tips or hints of a solution.
Red Warrior
Donor
Donor
Radio: Galaxy 959

Post by Red Warrior »

You cannot measure SWR while modulating the carrier. The reading only means something during dead key. The indications during modulation are meaningless.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
moondawg
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by moondawg »

I finally solved the problem by putting a low pass filter behind the amp. It stopped all the harmonics and settled down the SWRs to normal. The lack of filtering on the amp was the root cause.

Post by 127 »

Red Warrior wrote:You cannot measure SWR while modulating the carrier. The reading only means something during dead key. The indications during modulation are meaningless.
If you can't read swr while modulating then maybe I need to get my money back for the Bird dual sampler/meter I just bought. The "reading" means just as much when modulating as it does when dead keying.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

If you are talking about power, watts, yes, it's doing what it's supposed to do. If you are talking about SWR, then it's not. That 'Bird' isn't going to give you a direct reading of SWR anyway. That 'Bird' will 'swing' backwards too, in the right circumstances. It's still reading correctly, but what it's reading isn't being done correctly. Any and all watt meters will do that.
If you're happy with that 'Bird' meter then keep it. Personally, I have no use for a 'Bird', it's over-kill for most hobby radio. There are others at a much lower price that will do the exact same thing.
- 'Doc
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

Don't spend the money on the bird meter. Get a WM1 Computing meter that measures true PEP for about $149. I've seen the Bird meter run side by side to the WM1 and it works well at 1.5kw. Just as accurate. It even has a remote head. Check it out.

Here's the information:
Autek Research, PO Box 7556, Wesley Chapel, FL 33545 USA.
(813) 994-2199
http://www.autekresearch.com
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

And while I'm thinking about it, it is possible to read SWR while speaking or modulating. But there's only one way that I am aware of, and that's with a 'forward'/'reverse' reading dual meter that has the SWR scale where the two needles cross. Personally, I don't see all that much advantage with doing that, but if it makes you happy...
- 'Doc

Another interesting thing is that there's only one straight line in that whole SWR scale.
PYRO-736
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Connex 3300

Post by PYRO-736 »

Birds are expensive yes but if your runnin big power theyre the way to go for an honest reading. Am in the midst of setting up a DAVEMADE 16 pill system in my jeep and I want a true number not a bragging number. Am looking for the readings of my forward as well as reflected power at all times I have a 43 dual line section to put in line so I will have both readings all the time. With Birds you are also not limited to any power range just by a new slug. For the average setup yes its overkill but for a big setup is worth its weight in gold. Take care and enjoy DXing and I hope to catch you guys out there.