Anyone still use a Vintage 23 Channel radio ??

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart »

I have an SBE Console II 23 channel AM SSB. I use a Turner M 3 mike with it. The audio on these SBE's BOOM !!! When skip dies down I use it for most of my local talking.

73's
The world is a cold free toilet
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

Sheriff Bart wrote:I have an SBE Console II 23 channel AM SSB. I use a Turner M 3 mike with it. The audio on these SBE's BOOM !!! When skip dies down I use it for most of my local talking.

73's
There are a number of guys on the Forum here that have various SBE Consoles. I just got a SBE Console (1st version though not the II) and seems good. The only thing I see is that the clock on it isn't working at this time-------real good receive it picks up much more than the other radios right beside it.

Hey----what's a see siggy (?)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To that Rodeojunkie----------Some of those older Uniden's are fine radios, one of mine is one of my favorites. What's the frequency range on that Regency marine CB out of curiosity?

For ALL my 23 Channels I have:

SBE Console AM/SSB
Midland 13-883B
Tram Diamond 60 AM/SSB
Johnson Messenger 323
Lafayette HB-750
Royce 1-600B
And one unknown model "stashed in the attic".....
gramps
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by gramps »

yea,i have bunch of old 23 ch.radios one for instance,realistic mini23 mic is hard weired it is kickin it.
dodgem
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by dodgem »

anyone interested in buying a nice Cobra 21X or two I have 2 on ebay right now and if they don't sell there then I'm gonna hock them at the flea market this weekend. One has blue LED's and yellow jewel knobs and the other has yellow dressage, all P&T 20 PEP with talk back.

dodgem250.com

Secret Squirrel
Donor
Donor
Handle: Secret Squirrel
Antenna: Hustler HQ-27 Magnum
Radio: Stryker 89MC in mobile

Post by Secret Squirrel »

I got a Pearce-Simpson Pussycat Base CB, with a Turner 360DM mic that I been running.
Secret Squirrel

"Talking to the USA from my Archer Space Patrol walkie"
bluestallion
Donor
Donor

Post by bluestallion »

I'm running a cobra 138 23 channel radio with usb and lsb on it also. Works great!!!
G-Golly Wally

Post by G-Golly Wally »

I have a JCPenny Pinto 23Ch, Haven't used it in a long time . My Dad bought it in 1976, so I'll all ways keep it, All ways got good reports when I keyed it up.
Slim Jim
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slim Jim »

I've got a few old Kraco's and JC-Penny radios out in my shed. They don't see the light of day much, but every now and then, I get curious and plug one up! It's always good to look back and remember where you came from... :)
Magnetron
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Magnetron »

New here, hello :). My daily user here is an SBE ConsoleII & Turner +2 mic. Gets good reports everywhere it talks. My favorite 23ch. of all time is the Johnson Messenger 250. They sound great and they just look cool....

Peace.
- Darrell
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

Magnetron wrote:New here, hello :). My daily user here is an SBE ConsoleII & Turner +2 mic. Gets good reports everywhere it talks. My favorite 23ch. of all time is the Johnson Messenger 250. They sound great and they just look cool....

Peace.
- Darrell
Never saw this post until tonight and wanted to say welcome on the CBRT Forum you'll find alot of good info and good people. That SBE Console II is a great base radio! I have one myself and worked my first real DX on that radio. That Turner +2 mic is definitely one of the old mic legends, a well-liked and respected base mic considered great by many. I've got a couple of the Turner +3's and one Turner 454x mic. I'd like to get a Turner +2 at some point myself. Combined with that SBE Console II I'm sure you have a decent sounding home station! Hope to see you post more------Mr. Magnetron!

Here's my SBE Console II......

Other Pic's......
http://s402.photobucket.com/a ... hunter351/
freightliner06
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by freightliner06 »

I have a box of 23 channel radios in the basement.... Anybody in CT want them????
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

I have a Cobra 135 that was my grandfathers, works great except for the "digital flip" clock. I also have a Knight kit radio that is a 6 channel crystal radio, it was my first rig, it needs a power transformer, maybe one day I will fix it.
The Toolman

Post by The Toolman »

I'm lookin to find me a mint Courier Royale. It was the first cb I talked on when I was a young teen in the early 60's. My buddys dad bought it new an a A/S Super Mag. Everybody he talked to said it sounded great.
Missed one that was mint in the box on ebay awhile back, went for $105.00. I thought it ended a day later than it did an I hadn't bid on it yet.

I do still have my 640 Royce 23 channel am/ssb base an D-104 I bought new in the 70's, and it still talks an HEARS almost as good as my new Galaxy DX 2547 base.

Ron
Git_R_Done
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Git_R_Done »

The Toolman wrote:I'm lookin to find me a mint Courier Royale. It was the first cb I talked on when I was a young teen in the early 60's. My buddys dad bought it new an a A/S Super Mag. Everybody he talked to said it sounded great.
Missed one that was mint in the box on ebay awhile back, went for $105.00. I thought it ended a day later than it did an I hadn't bid on it yet.

I do still have my 640 Royce 23 channel am/ssb base an D-104 I bought new in the 70's, and it still talks an HEARS almost as good as my new Galaxy DX 2547 base.

Ron
I've been thinking about getting a Galaxy DX 2547 base, how do you like yours Toolman
cgtahoeguy
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by cgtahoeguy »

I found a Citizen 23 ch with upper & lower sideband & Audiovox MCB-40 channel that i'll have to shake the dust off and see if they'll work for the wife's 2001 f150 & my 2002 Tahoe.
Bill
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Vintage Radios

Post by Bill »

Yes.

I have many. I just finished repairing a Courier 23. Does anyone remember that one?

I visit many hamfests throughout the year and see many of these radios. I once had the matching Couirer business band linear and it was destroyed during a roof replacement on my house. The company took the old roof shingles off and it rained that night. Water came into the storage room. I had actually repaired this amplifier and replaced the transformer with one that was too big for the case- and it worked find. I also converted it so it had a delay for sindeband on 10-meters. It was a nice amp.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

:arrow: There many good quality radios built at the time in those days, and some "not so good" radios as well. Still there are many fine examples of 23 Channel radios that were made of very high quality, and still work & sound excellent. I know that some view a 23 Channel as junk, and some are----but certainly not all. A number of these radios were very expensive to purchase at the time----and not "in todays dollars" either.

For example, two of the radios below:
:arrow: The Tram Diamond 60 to purchase almost 35 years ago? $399.99. Translate that into todays dollars using the standard Consumer Price Index? $399.99 in 1975 translates to $1,540 in todays currency!!!

:arrow: The Lafayette HE-20T? Was one of the best CB's ever produced for Lafayette. It was $179.99 in the early 1970's. Translate that into todays dollars using the Consumer Price Index? $840!!!

:arrow: I'm not saying they are worth that much or even more now as antiques, but am saying that many of these rigs were certainly not "cheap" or inexpensive to buy, nor were they cheaply made. Not "just anyone" could afford that kind of money back then, it was alot. Their cost then and value now depends on who made them and which models they are.

:arrow: I don't have access to much of my gear still due to the whole moving process and I can't rely on memory only to come up with what I have total, but here below are a few of my Vintage 23 Channel Radios in the collection. Anyone else still owning (and especially running!) these radios I encourage to list what you still have. Or even what you fondly recall as "one of the better pieces" you've owned in the past! That's a shame what that last poster described that had happened to that Courier amplifier----I hate hearing things like that, really.

Some of my Base Station Rigs
Hy-Gain SingleSideband 623
Johnson Messenger 132
Johnson Messenger 250
Lafayette HE-20T
Lafayette HE-45B
SBE Console Sidebander
Courier Caravelle II
Pearce Simpson (Gladding) Lynx 23
Pearce Simpson (Gladding) Bearcat 23B
Cobra (Dynascan) 139
Realistic Navaho TRC-23B
Siltronix (Swan) 1011C ----not just 23 but still vintage

Some of my Mobile Rigs
Tram Diamond 60
Tram Daimond 60 10M
SBE Cortez
Lafayette HB-750
Lafayette Micro-6 (6 channel only radio)
Johnson Messenger 323
Courier Classic II
Sears SSB 934

There are quite a few more here but these are some cool rigs. I hope to see some others post some of these old and often decent 23 Channel Radios.

Foxhunter
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

RE Vintage Radios

Post by Night Crawler »

Bill wrote: I just finished repairing a Courier 23. Does anyone remember that one?
I once had the matching Couirer business band linear
I had the Courier 23 and that amplifier the BL-100 if that's the same amp you have it had a pair of 12JB6's when I was a kid back in the 60's.
baggie
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by baggie »

I have a squires-sanders Admiral base station,it has it`s own base mic. i fire it up once in a while.
BB
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by BB »

I have my Grandfather's old 23 channel ROMAR. It powers up but doesn't recieve or transmit. Anyone else have a ROMAR? :)
Leiffi
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: 56WR00
Radio: Many SS3900:s

Post by Leiffi »

i have plenty of old 22 + 11A channel radios.. They are in hard use around here because most of the calling channels are 7 or 20 FM.. On some areas in finland the calling Channel is 31 FM so you need new Cb-radio for that.. But in the Lapland and so the "old time" radio is used very often :)

I would say that most of "old" radios (made in japan) are more better than the new ones what are assembled and builted on China/Korea etc.. :P
Mr B
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Mr B
Call Sign: N5WRX
Antenna: A99 vertical - Rotatable Dipole
Radio: Icom IC-7300 - AnyTone 6666

Post by Mr B »

Hey ... them old radios work just as good as they did when they were new.
They just lack some of the features that most people want.
Some of them have better receivers that some of the modern radios.
I say ... if you like running the old stuff ... then go for it.

It is kinda nice at night to turn down the room lights, kick back with a cold one, and admire that warm golden glow of a tube radio.
Makes ya feel kinda warm and fuzzy on the inside ... :P .