feedback through stereo

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
pathfinder
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

feedback through stereo

Post by pathfinder »

I drive a sterling daycab , and I run a General lee , no amp , I use a wilson 2000 antenna , mounted behind the cab.
I just replaced the coax and the center stud on the mount , my swr is under a 1.5
I get real bad feedback through my stereo when I transmit , I replaced the factory stereo with a sony explod , it has the input jack in the front for my Ipod or satellite radio.
I do use the talkback and run just a small amount of echo , and I use a motorola external speaker , that sits on the dash right next to the radio.
does anyone know what might be causing this ? or how I can fix this
bullet

Post by bullet »

I think it my be modulation. I come over my stereo so bad I have to turn it off before I talk, but I have a heater and I like where the modulation is set. If I turn the mic gain down It does not come though the stereo.
linx

Post by linx »

turn your stereo down :p that's free talkback!

i leave my stereo on 'aux' and leave the volume turned down. i come through my trucks speakers. sounds neat. if i turn the volume up on aux, it'll squeel.

if you're running a strong radio, ya may just have to turn your stereo off.
pathfinder
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by pathfinder »

thanks , that just answered my question , I do have the stereo on AUX , all the time , and I do normally turn the stereo off while using the radio, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with the radio.
thanks guys
TwentyTwo-Zero
Donor
Donor

Post by TwentyTwo-Zero »

Depending on where the RF is saturating the stereo you may be able to eliminate bleeding on the speakers by putting ferrite beads on the speaker wires as close to the speaker wire terminals as possible. Also, shielding the inside of the speaker enclosure (if appicable) with aluminum foil or copper shield foil may help.
Save Your Money, Don't Go To The Show
And Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow...Frank Zappa
------------
WR0220 Washington State 38LSB
CPI • Cobra • Icom • Yaesu
Pocono Redneck
Donor
Donor

Post by Pocono Redneck »

My General Lee was causing similar issues---I turned down the modulation adjustment pots (VR12 low power and VR14 high power) just a skosh and those issues went away--and it's still a loud **Censored** radio.
Buckshot
Donor
Donor
Handle: Buckshot
Radio: Many, Many Radios

Post by Buckshot »

Is your general lee hooked directly to your battery? Is your location of antenna area grounding back to radio (battery.)These are add'l known issues & problem solvers.
289/B.S. WI.
whipsnapper
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by whipsnapper »

I have the same problem with the Sony Xplod radio in my Nissan pickup. I know I'm not over-modulating, and it doesn't do it in my Chevy with a Pioneer radio. I just turn the radio off when monitoring the cb. You could just turn it down, but it definitely sounds worse than I actually sound on the air. The coax is run nowhere near the power or speaker leads for the Sony radio. I haven't tried really figuring it out, I just figure it's the older Sony radio. It doesn't bother me though.

Interesting that they're both Sony radios (mine and yours). Mine doesn't have an aux input and will bleed-over whether in FM, AM, or CD mode.
pathfinder
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by pathfinder »

I have the radio hooked up to the binding post on the dash , the antenna is not grounded other than what the mount provides.