General Lee and Connex 3300HP - slight difference

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for. Go ahead and post here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Buzcut
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

General Lee and Connex 3300HP - slight difference

Post by Buzcut » Tuesday, 09 October 2007, 21:29 PM

There are two features that are not shared by these radios.

High/Low switch and 10KHz switch.

What do these two do and how do they effect the radio's operation and future upgrades?

Cheers

Andrew

poboy309
Donor
Donor
Radio: Grant lt
Antenna: 102" whip

Post by poboy309 » Tuesday, 09 October 2007, 21:39 PM

hi/lo switch is good for future use with an amp --high with dead key around 8-10 watts and low with dead key of around 2
10 khz switch allows you to use channels such as the radio control frequencies. not really useful but an added bell/whistle
Uniden Grant LT barefoot mobile with a 102" whip.
President Lincoln "base" in the garage with a home made horizontal dipole.
36 - 40 lsb
RC 309 in hellinois.

white devil
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

differences

Post by white devil » Tuesday, 09 October 2007, 21:45 PM

Hi / Low on my G.L. has been tuned to use the low key for an amp. Run in Hi without the amp. The 10k switch allows you to bump up 10k and operate between channels on the seven that are R.C. channels. So far I have yet to use the 10 k for much. The Hi/low is a positive in my book. Both are good radios. Just returning to this hobby so I am sure others with have much better input than I.

Duck Commander
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Re: differences

Post by Duck Commander » Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 5:15 AM

white devil wrote:Hi / Low on my G.L. has been tuned to use the low key for an amp. Run in Hi without the amp. The 10k switch allows you to bump up 10k and operate between channels on the seven that are R.C. channels. So far I have yet to use the 10 k for much. The Hi/low is a positive in my book. Both are good radios. Just returning to this hobby so I am sure others with have much better input than I.

I agree i have never used the 10khz switch on any of my radios but use the hi/lo all the time....
if you are guna be runnin an amp in the future or are now i would go with the Lee :wink:
IN THE WORLD OF DUCK HUNTIN THERE ARE WORLD CLASS DUCK CALLERS AND WORLD CLASS DUCK KILLA'S IMA DUCK KILLA

Slim Jim
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slim Jim » Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 5:39 AM

10 kHz is the oldest version of a "channel mod" originating back in the old days of 23 channel radios. That was a time when the airwaves were so crowded, that any little hidden place to hide and talk was well sought after. The FCC appropriated 5 channels, I think that were for remote control operation. People started modifying the CB radios to pick up these channels. If you have a freq. counter, you can easily see which channels they are because there will be five channels on the regular 40 that are spaced 20 kHz, rather than the normal 10 kHz....therefore when you engage the 10 kHz switch, you are granted access to the "between frequency". I think the channels that work are 3, 7,11,15, and 19. So, when you are on channel 3 and you press the 10 kHz switch, you are actually on the 3A or 3 "alpha" channel. I've only used it once or twice- it's just another place to go. Plus, sometimes you may be surprised and hear someone talking in there!

humanphibian
Donor
Donor

Post by humanphibian » Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 7:34 AM

That 10kz switch is VERY handy on Saturday morning when a certain BRAT decides to get his gas powered R.C. car out and start ripping it up and down the block at 7am! :evil:

you can pretty well put an end to that little annoyance ASAP!
DX: 999 The Cowtown Regulator
DFW Local: Regulator

Slim Jim
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slim Jim » Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 9:49 AM

lol! I've always wanted a chance to do that!

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 12:25 PM

humanphibian wrote:That 10kz switch is VERY handy on Saturday morning when a certain BRAT decides to get his gas powered R.C. car out and start ripping it up and down the block at 7am! :evil:

you can pretty well put an end to that little annoyance ASAP!

This actually does work. :wink: Years back when my son was little, I could control his R/C car with my modded 148GTL. Whistling different tones into the mike would make it stop, go, turn right or left, used to amaze him. 8) Channel was either 3A or 7A, can't remember that far back.

10kc switch will also fill in the corresponding "gaps" in the Freeband area.
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

Buzcut
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Buzcut » Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 18:54 PM

Thank you all for your help.

I will go for the Connex 3300HP over the Gen Lee.

Cheers

Andrew

Slim Jim
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slim Jim » Wednesday, 10 October 2007, 19:08 PM

nothing wrong with being "politically correct" Enjoy it!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic