Tram Titan IIa vs D201

This forum is dedicated to discussions about tube radios and tube amplifiers.
Maco 103
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Top Gun
Call Sign: KJ4ANC
Antenna: Penetrator and MACO 103
Radio: Uniden Grant XL mostly

Tram Titan IIa vs D201

Post by Maco 103 »

What are the differences between the two transceivers?

I already have one Titan IIA sitting on my desk, but I just ordered one more so I will now have two sitting on my desk.

I am aware of the different models of the D201 and understand the Point to Point boards, but why is the D201 considered better than a Titan IIA?

Also, does anyone know where I can get an owners manual and perhaps a service manual (Free Download, PDF)?

Thank you in advance..
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Tram Titan IIa vs D201

Post by MDYoungblood »

CB Tricks has a lot of info on those radios and they have manuals for the D201's. The only difference is the looks, most of the insides are the same. I prefer the hand wired models.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Post by dirtyjob »

well for starters the titan series is older than the d201 series, as you may imagine it goes titan/titan 2/titan 2A/titan III/titan IV/D201/D201A So that being said, the titan 2a was the 1st to go with the new wood look, all previous titans were metal cases with the 2 big handles, also the titan 2a was the 1st to actually transmit in single sideband where the titans before transmitted double sideband which is inferior, the titan 3 was the worst of the bunch in many people opinion due to the fact they went total transistor, it didnt have the audio punch tram was noted for without the good ole tubes, I owned a tram titan 3 and i was glad to be rid of it.
Naturally the d201, being made later than any Titan was state of the art for its time, the 1st d201's were made in the USA "Winnasquam,NH not far from Laconia, NH which of course is the Home of the Browning" and they were hand wired, later d201's and the 40 channel version the d201A were assembled in Mexico.
I have also owned the titan 2 and own a d201a and find there is no comparison to the audio between the 2 i mentioned, the d201a audio is far superior.
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
Maco 103
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Maco 103 »

Very informative post.
I know the Titan 2A touted a collins filter in their advertisements back in 1971 and it would seem that the Tram D201 would have taken advantage of the additional 4 years of extra research and development.
The fact that both units had pretty much the same 15 tubes leads me to believe most of the internals were very close to being the same, but if there were refinements to the circuits it would be interesting to see what improvements one would expect from having the newer technology.

I plan on putting new tubes in one on the desk as soon as the new one arrives, then I'll compare the two side by side to see if I will need to retube the new one.

The reports I have gotten over the years are impressive and hope the new Titan 2A will perform at the same level.
With that said, I will welcome any improvement that may come my way.

If you have owned one in the past, has any great stories, or can add to the history and development of the Tram brand (or could even just direct me to a site that has the history), I would be grateful.

Funny how excited I am about finding another Titan IIA.

Sunday, 02 February 2014, 0:40 AM

Was talking on one of the Trams last night and it seems some of the tubes are going flat
Not to worry, I have a complete set being shipped out today..
hobbieville

Post by hobbieville »

I can't speak on any Trams but the D201/D201A series of which I've owned each generation. The non-US generations wore me out with problems such that I launched a 4-yr search to acquire a 1st generation HW unit before I gave up on Trams completely. All of the others performed great, but it seemed like every couple of months I was shelling out a couple of hundred dollars to keep them on the air. Especially aggravating in that I initially spent a couple of hundred (and sometimes more) on each one to get them right before putting them on the air for the first time after purchase.

From a performance standpoint, I've found all the D201/D201A series transceivers to be outstanding with superb TX and RX audio characteristics. TX audio quality such that you're often pulled out of pile-ups because they're so pleasant and have a unique "presence" on the air. They all reach down real deep and pull weak stations out of the noise floor; and, don't let anyone tell you the Tyco filter isn't up to the task. Would the Collins filter have performed better in the D201? Very possibly but I'm of the belief that the D201 didn't necessarily need to be any better. The $700+ entry price to have one sitting in front of you included first class engineering. When an audio signal is detected, it sort of booms out of the speaker minus any hashy-mash; similar to a quality signal breaking squelch threshold.

I got lucky 10 years back and found the right hand-wired D201 from exactly the right operator to score one from. Upon receiving it I exercised the same precautions as with the others....I handed it over to a reliable tech before even plugging it into the wall. Got real lucky....just a little over a $100 bill and it was good to go. Every couple of years since then it's been benched before any problems developed, and it's been well worth whatever the cost. Each bench visit several marginal tubes and a handful of out-of-value components have been replaced, but my total expense hasn't even closely approached the cost of the "100,000 mile service" that's so often talked about. I still get all warm and tingly inside thinking about all the pleasure I've derived from it, as well as from the consistently glowing reports I've received every time I've put it on the air.

Never would I suggest that someone refrain from trying out/collecting all the Trams, but I do strongly encourage people to start a search for the right 1st generation, US-made D201 first. Chiefly because it will take even longer now to find the right unit from the right seller than in my case. Mine has for the most part been in continuous operation since the day it crossed the CB store counter into the anxious, trembling with joyous anticipation hands of its first owner. Outrageous good fortune on my part, but surely there are other ones, though assuredly rare, out there if you are patient and thorough in your search. Finding one that's been constantly operated and religiously maintained will spare you a heap of cost in the beginning and in the future if one continues that practice.

Dang it if I don't use a lot of words to say very little....apologies. Here's my baby working out on VOX at 27.405 AM....pegging the needle!

xmit ch40 vox by n9emz, on Flickr

One more note: Notice the crystal channel selector on channel 19....factory VFO mod. My previous D201s had to be either on a particular crystal channel to run on the VFO; one unit had to be on channel 10 for low frequency coverage and channel 11 to operate on VFO above channel 23. The factory mod is much more simple and convenient; just switch to VFO and go from 26.935 - 27.540 or so. Performance declines above 27.450, but I've done barefoot DX at 27.535 USB with stations running a lot of power....took that for me to hear them but they could pull the Tram's audio out of the weeds.

Y'all have a great day, week and weekend and thanks for listening to me prattle on so.
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Radio: Alot of 'em!!

Post by Sporty Mike »

Beautiful 201 Hobbie, I'm chomping at the bit to get mine up and running. Shouldn't be long now.

Mike

Sent from Sporty Mike's phone.
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
Maco 103
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Maco 103 »

Hobbieville,
That was very well written and informative.
Thank you for taking the time and for sharing your thoughts.
(You should write a book).

73's
Mobiles: Uniden GrantXL, Cobra 148GTL, Cobra 25, Cobra 29, Cobra 29 NW, Pearce Simpson Cougar 23B
Base Tubes: 2 each Tram Titain IIa's, Siltronix 1011 Comanche, Sonar 2340, Johnson Messenger 223
Base: Navajaho 458, Cobra's Galore, Teaberry's
Many Many more to choose from..
Mikes: 10 each D104's and oh so many stock and power mics.

Been at this for a long time, but as with all things, there are dry spells where I just up and walk away..
hobbieville

Post by hobbieville »

Wishing you best of luck on the D201 build, Mike. It is often a long and arduous process but well worth the effort when completed.

Appreciate it and you're welcome, James. Don't look for book(s) from me soon....too short on wisdom. I saw an E.F. Johnson Messenger Two Twenty-Three under your avatar. What a quest I ventured on over a two year period to locate a good 223. Kept ending up with bad xtal, shot PLL, etc units until I finally wound up with a pretty good H-model and manual. Nastiest one of the bunch but it cleaned up nice.

223 nasty by n9emz, on Flickr

223 spiffy by n9emz, on Flickr

223 working by n9emz, on Flickr

The 223 was my first base unit purchased new back in 1973. I guess nostalgia gets the better of me on occasion because I find myself web-searching for another serviceable one.
Maco 103
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Messenger 223

Post by Maco 103 »

Hobbieville,

On the Messenger 223,
I guess I really got lucky with this one.
It has been one of my best sounding radios, totally stock with all original tubes and mic.

Believe it or not, the very best sounding radio I own is a Uniden Grant XL.
It has a 2 watt deadkey and a 10 watt swing (Something I don't really believe in), but the audio is loud and clear as a bell with a stock mic.
On Side band, it is easily understood at 45 miles (barefoot), has very good ears and absolutely no drift.

When used as base station, it gets better reports that even my Tram Titan IIa.

I love the Messenger 223, but have now taken it out of service.
It is a habit of mine to change out radios every other month or so.
This helps me to enjoy the differences between them.

The Uniden Grant XL and the Tram Titan IIa (With a D104) both stand out as the best sounding (Full Modulation) radios.
I have quite a few radios, so that is saying something when the locals can instantly pick out which one I am using.

All of my radios communicate, but the Messenger has a rich full tone that always gets good reports..
It is in my top three (Even rating above my Siltronics 1011 with a D104).
Mobiles: Uniden GrantXL, Cobra 148GTL, Cobra 25, Cobra 29, Cobra 29 NW, Pearce Simpson Cougar 23B
Base Tubes: 2 each Tram Titain IIa's, Siltronix 1011 Comanche, Sonar 2340, Johnson Messenger 223
Base: Navajaho 458, Cobra's Galore, Teaberry's
Many Many more to choose from..
Mikes: 10 each D104's and oh so many stock and power mics.

Been at this for a long time, but as with all things, there are dry spells where I just up and walk away..
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Radio: Alot of 'em!!

Post by Sporty Mike »

Again, beautiful 223 Hobbie!! Like a piece of electronic art, inside and out.

Mike

Sent from Sporty Mike's phone.
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!