Courier Fanon Amp

This forum is dedicated to discussions about tube radios and tube amplifiers.
TooManyMiles
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Ten Indian or TooManyMiles
Call Sign: KQH2429
Antenna: Predator 10k
Radio: Galaxy 919

Courier Fanon Amp

Post by TooManyMiles »

Anyone out there familiar with the Courier Fanon ML-100 amp?
I have had one for years and wanted to know what is the best way to tune it (plate vs load).
Thanks
tulmkr
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: PDL II
Radio: Many

Re: Courier Fanon Amp

Post by tulmkr »

I had one of those, and if I remember right the load adjustment is made through the bottom of the amp. Do it the same way you would any other tube amp. With no modulation key the radio, and adjust the tune on the amp for the highest output. Switch to the load, and do the same. That gets you close. Dont key for more than 10 seconds at a time. With modulation, go back and do the same thing using a tone or a whistle, or a shhhh into the mic. adjust both tune and load for peak output. The last thing to do with any tube amp is to overcouple the amp by turning the load to the the right until you start to see a very slight drop in power. That will reduce distortion in your audio. Dont drive it with more than a few watts deadkey, and no more than 25 peak watts under full modulation. Watch for cherry red plates...thats a bad thing.
TooManyMiles
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Ten Indian or TooManyMiles
Call Sign: KQH2429
Antenna: Predator 10k
Radio: Galaxy 919

Post by TooManyMiles »

Interesting. Plate and Load adjustments are on the right side of the box. I have been able to pump up to 90 watts out of it without lighting up the neighborhood.
If I get an antenna with the coil above the cab, i'll be in a lot better shape.
Thanks for the input!!!
TooManyMiles - Leaving a Vapor Trail across the Plains.
Midway 473
tulmkr
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: PDL II
Radio: Many

Post by tulmkr »

been awile since ive had that amp, i thought the tune and load were under it. Nice tube boxes for a mobile. they dont get too hot, and are good around town amps. They also make great little drivers for bigger boxes. The hygain afterburner is another good little tube amp around the same output. Go easy on it, those power transistors arent cheap anymore.

Monday, 11 February 2013, 21:51 PM

Dont try to drop the output by tuning and loading, tune and load for max output, and turn the load slightly clockwise until you see a drop. It should be doing about 150 peak if the tubes are in decent shape. 6jg6 I think. If you want less out of the box, drop the output of the radio until there is just enough to make the keying relay work.