browning golden eagle "it squeals ".......AND?

This forum is dedicated to discussions about tube radios and tube amplifiers.
rev ike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

browning golden eagle "it squeals ".......AND?

Post by rev ike »

i think ill spend some time keying my browning golden eagle so i can laugh when they say "it squeals a little for some reason" :lol:
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

I love those radios too, there was a guy i used to talk to back in GA that had one. he went by 808 (8 hundred and 8 ) but we all called him the mayor of Jeffersonville, awsome sounding radio and I like that ping and squeal those radios have built in. its cool and not something you hear everyday or everybody has.
Last edited by Punkin Head on August 19th, 2007, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

Browning "PING", got to love it
928bolo
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by 928bolo »

The origin of the noise toys. Great Radios.

:lol:
crazytruker

Post by crazytruker »

Ya gotta love the "your radio has a hell of a squeal" comment. LOL. My Browning has a 4 position switch in back with different sized capacitors to give me no ping, short, medium, or long ping. You gotta hear the "never heard a browning ping" guys **Censored** then on a long ping working the mike to make it a mean screamin' eagle
Av8r1
Donor
Donor
Radio: Kenwood TS-530s

Post by Av8r1 »

I thought the ping came from feed back from the transmitter vs receiver.

:roll:
Goldhawk
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy

Post by Goldhawk »

I love those radios. That ping is classic I love it.
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

one of the local guys has a browning golden eagle. ive never seen it but i know the sound. this one sounds like your chokeing a goose when he keys up. gotta love it.
GLDscrewdriver
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

the ping

Post by GLDscrewdriver »

is it amazing that 1 tech messed up and put the wrong cap. in the browning while being produced. an accident turn selling point not to shabby (i love my browning and use it every day as my primary radio (gldscrewdriver 421 )
Ruthless1
Donor
Donor
Antenna: MoonRaker 6 (@ 90')
Radio: Yaesu FT-2000D w/DMU

Post by Ruthless1 »

I love my MK 4 and it's been kept mint since it was new.

I am "One Eyed Rooster" and a 27.025 SuperBowl Boss (also hold an Extra Class Lic).
Jester

Post by Jester »

That squealing feedback is hideous....the one thing I have noticed about people who have had this done to their radios is that they have become pariahs that stick to one or 2 channels max, because the truckers on 19 won't put up with that crap!

No one wants to hear that. They want to hear clear, loud audio that the Browning is known for, not some god-awful squeal...
linx

Post by linx »

I like it. To me it sets the radio apart from the rest on the bunch.

It's neat b/c the squeal changes every time you key up a little bit.

Aside from the squeal, most Browning's have the best RX you can buy.

To each their own :)
bullet

Post by bullet »

That squeal!! You would know it anywhere. Love the radio and squeal. I thought it was to get the tubes up and full power before you talked. ??LOL
rev ike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by rev ike »

Yess its a staple in the cb world ,there are some people who appreciate the american tradition that most could not afford when they first appeared on the scene. The audio is clearer than any plastic radio on the market today....if it doesnt glow in the dark it must be plastic.Good for winter use especially.
MAY THE LIFE I LIVE SPEAK FOR ME!
rev ike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by rev ike »

Greetings gents:
I found my self back on the airways keying this thing again the other day,conditions were in my favor and oh the fun that I had!!!Usually too busy to C.B. these days.
MAY THE LIFE I LIVE SPEAK FOR ME!
slydog

Post by slydog »

linx wrote:I like it. To me it sets the radio apart from the rest on the bunch.

It's neat b/c the squeal changes every time you key up a little bit.

Aside from the squeal, most Browning's have the best RX you can buy.

To each their own :)
Actually the best RX is that of the Cobra 2000 and it's Uniden/President Madison.
The Tram D201 and Golden Eagles were fine radios but they are overrated IMO. A classic radio is not necessarily the best.
beebuzzbee
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by beebuzzbee »

No doubt the 2000gtl or Madison (same) have great, if not, the best RX.
However, there in nothing like the warm audio produced by the classic tube radio and the Browning "ping" definitely is one of its kind, you never have to 2nd guess the radio on the other end of the airwaves when you hear one. Tube radio is not for every one but once you developed the inclination for it, it’s very difficult to replace that.
One thing is for sure, I've gotten more flowers from my tube set than other ones put together.
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

Man you do all the super swing mods and have super loud audio out of the cobra and galaxy radios but none will have the audio a Browning will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

Used to be common place to hear the "ping" of a Browning, now a days it is rare. Talked to a guy just the other day about 100 miles north of me with one, when I commented about the vintage of his radio you could tell the pride in his voice. They are classics!
Green Hornet
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Green Hornet »

Got me a reconditioned Golden Eagle Mark III with the Mark III 180 Amp and a Golden Eagle D104 for Christmas. I'll be setting up the antenna soon and I can hardly wait to go back to 1975 again. Ping...
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

apparently that "ping" was a design flaw, and an easy one to "fix" if you fixed it the price of that radio would drop A LOT im sure.
That ping has been tried to be recreated in numerous noise toys, but to no avail, that radios a classic, and comes with the original noise toy built in.
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor
Radio: Any radio I want.

Post by Pro-Tech »

We have been selling pallets of the Maco channel slider that was made for this radio. We mainly sell them on eBay but as they sell out the price keeps going up. That's why on our site people used to pay forty bucks and now we are asking over a hundred. 8)
Av8r1
Donor
Donor
Radio: Kenwood TS-530s

Re: browning golden eagle "it squeals ".......AND?

Post by Av8r1 »

Its not a squeal, its more of a ping sound. Which sounds great! Why sound like every one else. The ping says it all.
sugarcane

Post by sugarcane »

Nice one.. I love them Brownings! :)
Irondog
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Dipole
Radio: Cobra 142GTL, 949DX

Post by Irondog »

:lol: Wasn't that the old radio...seems I remember....when they'd take the mike and rub it back and forth across the speaker....their Tweety Bird. The original. :lol:
"Dream yourself into the real world and leave the illusion behind."
Once a Marine, Always a Marine.