cobra 148 GTL hooked power cord in backwards ahh...

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Dave made
Radio: Galaxy 33 hml2

cobra 148 GTL hooked power cord in backwards ahh...

Post by 704 »

i was switching radios to look at other issues to tell my tech everything i need done for the tech and i had 10 amp fuse inline i burnt the power choke up L401/Ld103--L402/Ld103 negative side and maybe protection diode ns where its located, i think its right next to pa jack, it didnt fall apart when i gave it a few taps but just in case lmk location & what type and size, Ill need and any caps theyre green ones,
http://elektrotanya.com/cobra ... nload.html
bottom right corner of scematic map this one shows me the actual location and part#

i got this scematic from http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl/
my 148GTL was made in malaysia 4 pin mic made in 10/1996
this schenmatics didnt give me all the answers but helped

i foundthis
https://www.kenselectronics.c ... /coils.htm
0104K Uniden Cobra President Realistic Robyn Teaberry 100 mHy circuit board mount power filter choke
but they dont have a price and not sure if its the correct one.

thanks in advance!!! I wish I had knowledge about radios like you guys and i could help yall like you help me, im a licensed hvac service tech so if you ever have a question about any ac/heat issues just pm me i would be glad to help you!!
pabxone

Re: cobra 148 GTL hooked power cord in backwards ahh...

Post by pabxone »

You "Should" be able to still get all those parts from Cobra Electronics.

The protection diode is D55 (1N4004 ) it is on the PCB just below the power socket and just behind the PA / Ext Speaker sockets and it WILL be blown.

L401 & L402 are 10uH Chokes (3 - 4 amp current rating)
slipkid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: PDL II
Radio: Johnson Tube Type

Re: cobra 148 GTL hooked power cord in backwards ahh...

Post by slipkid »

the 10uh hash chokes you can find anywhere. all that is is a smoothing choke for the incoming 12volts. if you cant find one you can wind one using a piece of enameled wire around the old ferrite form after removing the old wire. a little super glue on the ends of the coils to hold the wire in place and you are good to go. or just slip heat shrink over the coil assy, shrink it and there you go.
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Dave made
Radio: Galaxy 33 hml2

Re: THANKS!^^cobra 148 GTL hooked power cord in backwards ah

Post by 704 »

THANKS FOR THE INFO/HELP THAT LAST POST, I haven't been on here in a while, my jobs kept me super busy, its peak season in hvac so i've been working crazy hour's.

I didn't want you guys to think i'm one of those people that gets what help or info I need and disappear, I'm sure yall don't care and your just glad to help, however I really do appreciate it.
I still haven't had the time to get it fixed and I could have fixed it, that little stuff with yalls info, I could do it, but I added a few things to my "to be done by the tech list" to get it fixed!

and MDyoungblood I got another ssb radio! for cheap off ebay! its a uniden grant xl and its a beast 120 am channels and on ssb it is way better tuned, i'm using that until i get mine back from the tech, that ill sell to someone local down here in charlotte, anyways just wanted to just check-in and post back to say thank you to everyone that helped me out!

P.s. my lease is up in 2 months, I will be getting another house real soon and I got me an antron 99 and a falcon 2400 dipole for my base setup when I get this house,
MDyoungblood I'd like to try to reach you again on lsb 38 soon, ive been on there talking all over the place hopefully the conditions will be right sometime soon and well bump into each other soon! until then thanks again EVERYONE! this is 704 THE RYDER in charlotte nc getting down!

-- June 24th, 2016, 2:05 pm --

MDyoungblood I'd like to try to reach you again WITH MY MOBILE on lsb 38 soon, i've been on talking to pretty much every state north of NC, Easily and I got plenty of power hopefully the conditions will be right sometime soon and well bump into each other soon! until then thanks again EVERYONE! this is 704 THE RYDER in charlotte nc getting down![/quote]

73's :cheers: