Cobra 29 - L14 L13 L12

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
MillSpec
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Cobra 29 - L14 L13 L12

Post by MillSpec »

I know I should remove the barrel from L14
But My radio appears to have hot glue on L13 & L12 to prevent the spread of the coils. Here are some photos.

On My 29 WX, I didn't know you had to heat the wax on L14 and a cracked it. If I can pull the barrel, you think It will matter?

Thanks for the help.

-Joe.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Re: Cobra 29 - L14 L13 L12

Post by Rabbit Ears »

What parts do you need??

I've got a few coils to spare.
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
-357Mag

Post by -357Mag »

And another Golden Screwdriver is born. The Wax is there for a reason! Why are you messing with the Bias?? Leave it alone there is no gain to be made increasing power from 4- 10watts, not even 1 S unit on the receiving stations meter. Not to mention the bleed over you'll produce. Adj vr4 For 100% modulation and call it a day.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Personally I just chalk it up as a learning experience, you have to remove the wax before trying to make adjustments. Yes it needs to be replaced that is why us old guys keep junkers around, parts. If this is the 29LTD-WX you only adjust L14, tweaking the coils will only give you a false watt reading.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
MillSpec
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by MillSpec »

Rabbit Ears wrote:What parts do you need??

I've got a few coils to spare.

It looks like I need to replace L14.

-- Sunday, 05 October 2014, 8:24 AM --
MDYoungblood wrote:Personally I just chalk it up as a learning experience, you have to remove the wax before trying to make adjustments. Yes it needs to be replaced that is why us old guys keep junkers around, parts. If this is the 29LTD-WX you only adjust L14, tweaking the coils will only give you a false watt reading.

3's

Greg
I had read around. I was under the impression that Removing the plug from L14 and Spreading the Coils on L13 and L12. Along with 100% on VR4 was a part of the swing kit mod.
I'll replace L14 and NOT spread the coils.

Thanks
-Joe

-- Sunday, 05 October 2014, 8:26 AM --
-357Mag wrote:And another Golden Screwdriver is born. The Wax is there for a reason! Why are you messing with the Bias?? Leave it alone there is no gain to be made increasing power from 4- 10watts, not even 1 S unit on the receiving stations meter. Not to mention the bleed over you'll produce. Adj vr4 For 100% modulation and call it a day.

Isn't that what your first project radio is for? Earning your golden screwdriver trophy?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

MillSpec wrote:I was under the impression that Removing the plug from L14 and Spreading the Coils on L13 and L12. Along with 100% on VR4 was a part of the swing kit mod.
Okay, installing a swing kit it's best to follow the instructions, so go ahead, spread them just be careful and have a pair of needle nose handy to squeeze them back.

3's

Greg

PS, we were all "Golden Screwdrivers" once.
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The slug in the 2nd pic from the top is the TVI trap. Looks like someone already monkeyed with it so just leave that one alone. You will gain nothing from spreading the coils with the wax on them. Someone broke L14 but it will still function.There are ways to get L14 to peak out without just removing the slug but the info is out there and just has to be sifted through. The biggest secret to making a cobra 29 walk the dog and kick the cat is keep it pretty close to stock and put an amp behind it. A basic tune up and a variable if you're going to run an amp is all they need. The RX can be pretty noisy out of the box so a good alignment often makes a world of difference. I do like the mod that makes it come up to freq slowly when you key (the MMM whistle sounding thingy) sounds cool when you key on someone. :mrgreen:
-357Mag wrote:And another Golden Screwdriver is born. The Wax is there for a reason! Why are you messing with the Bias?? Leave it alone there is no gain to be made increasing power from 4- 10watts, not even 1 S unit on the receiving stations meter. Not to mention the bleed over you'll produce. Adj vr4 For 100% modulation and call it a day.
Bias??? :confused:
stratotanker
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Mr 231
Antenna: Sirio 5000
Radio: President McKinley

Post by stratotanker »

Looks like someone also moved the diode over?

Are those copper coils the 54 mhz traps?