Cobra 29 lx mods.

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
Sled_head
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Wilson Little Wil
Radio: Cobra 29 LX

Cobra 29 lx mods.

Post by Sled_head »

Hi guys. I have a Cobra 29 LX radio, connected to a Wilson Little Wil antenna. I am considering taking it into a shop to have a peak and tune done. I'm curious what mods other guys have done to their 29 LX, and what the results were. I want to increase my transmission reach and improve my receive quality. The second and probably the more difficult question is, where can I take it? I am in north metro Minnesota. Thank you everyone in advance for all of your help and advice!
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Re: Cobra 29 lx mods.

Post by silvereagle1 »

You can try stopping at your local truck stops and ask where a good cb tech is located. I bet you'll find a good tech somewhere.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

A better antenna will improve both transmit and receive. Antennas like the little will are great for a road trip where you might get some short distance traffic reports. They just aren't efficient.

A rule of thumb about antennas is longer is better. Hard mounts are better than magnetic mount...not all of us are willing to drill a hole in the roof though. Something like a Wilson 5000 mag mount will work well pretty good. What kind of vehicle is it going on? That will change your options a bit.

As far as mods I recommended as few as possible. A good tune up and alignment will be all you need. The more you mod a radio for power the dirtier the signal gets. A small external amplifier is the best bang for your buck to increase transmit power.

I don't use CB shops so I don't have any recommendations.
Sled_head
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Sled_head »

543FtWorth wrote:A better antenna will improve both transmit and receive. Antennas like the little will are great for a road trip where you might get some short distance traffic reports. They just aren't efficient.

A rule of thumb about antennas is longer is better. Hard mounts are better than magnetic mount...not all of us are willing to drill a hole in the roof though. Something like a Wilson 5000 mag mount will work well pretty good. What kind of vehicle is it going on? That will change your options a bit.

As far as mods I recommended as few as possible. A good tune up and alignment will be all you need. The more you mod a radio for power the dirtier the signal gets. A small external amplifier is the best bang for your buck to increase transmit power.

Will the whip for the 5000 fit into the little wil base? Or is the base different?
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Sled_head wrote:
543FtWorth wrote:A better antenna will improve both transmit and receive. Antennas like the little will are great for a road trip where you might get some short distance traffic reports. They just aren't efficient.

Will the whip for the 5000 fit into the little wil base? Or is the base different?
Not sure if it will fit but the load ( coil on base) is designed for the whip that comes with it. If you put a longer whip in that base it will not tune right.
Sled_head
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Sled_head »

That's good to know. Thank you!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sled_head wrote:Will the whip for the 5000 fit into the little wil base? Or is the base different?

No it won't fit, the diameter of the Little Wil whip is smaller. The Little Wil is designed to be used with the 31" long whip as provided, putting a longer whip in the load will just detune it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department