WELCOME TO THE NEW CBRT FORUM!

Galaxy 959 mods

Need some help with a radio mod? Pop in and ask away.

Moderator: JR Moderator

dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Omegaforce S45HP
Antenna: Will1000
Name: Dustin 664

Galaxy 959 mods

Post by dime196604 » Thursday, 24 February 2011, 20:03 PM

What are some mods for the 959, mine has a date of 2003 on the back and has the 1969 finals in it, it has a swing kit installed by the previous owner, who has had it since it was new, says the swing is the only mod other then adjustments, he said the shop he got it from had it over modulating.. any way just looking for some mods, and just wanted to see what is out there for this radio, I don't think i'm gonna do any thing to it, as i like they way it is already, just wanna see what i can do in the future of what is possible fro this radio.
It ain't broke till you smell the smoke

Bigmic919
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Re: Galaxy 959 mods

Post by Bigmic919 » Thursday, 24 February 2011, 20:28 PM

There are all kinds of mods for this radio. You can do extra channels, the 2sd2999 receive mod, dual finals and more to them. Just search around and you should find out about them. Pretty good radios. I have one myself and love it. Mine has just been tuned is all but it is a talker gettin good reports all the time. Got me a little amp on the way to check out and then maybe stepup to something bigger amp wise. A good tune and a good amp and let the amp do all the work.

dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by dime196604 » Thursday, 24 February 2011, 20:45 PM

any one know where to find ECG583 Schottky diodes? i read that these upgrade the RX for long range and wont over load the RX with the locals.. I'm thinking a nice RX mod for this radio is all i wanna do, i want one that will improve the RX and not over load and fry the RX in my radio.

sparky17
Donor
Donor
Name: sparky

Post by sparky17 » Friday, 25 February 2011, 14:22 PM

Eh. I wouldn't even bother with any mods on a galaxy, except maybe going to a mosfet (I believe they can have less total harmonic distortion, better sound quality when driving them hard)

Unlock the clarifier for SSB and call it good.

I've had every RX mod done at some point on my 979's by a reputable tech. I wouldn't bother. The RX on galaxies will always sound like crap. Its sensitive crap, but it will always sound like crap. I have not seen any galaxy mods for RX that I had NOT had done to my radio, and I'd have them done one at a time. i could never tell the difference. I'd *hear* a slight difference between my two radios sometimes, but you couldn't tell which one had the mod done by hearing it..

If you want better RX, get a different radio that's closer to a 'ham' radio, like a Yaesu or whatever.

Galaxies are AM audio monsters. If you're doing mods, just do mods for AM TX audio and call it good.

I blame the AGC. I run my RF gain 1/2 or 2/3rds CLOSED just to tolerate the RX audio. Become best friends with using the RF gain knob to your advantage and call it good. If carefully adjusted (majority of signals won't even show up on the needle movement), you can dial out the static and keep the signals. My mistake was using the squelch for years to try to do this. Don't do the squelch, do the RF gain, unless there's a carrier thrower out there..

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by Night Crawler » Friday, 25 February 2011, 15:47 PM

dime196604 wrote:any one know where to find ECG583 Schottky diodes?
Mouser Electronics they have the NTE583 which is a cross reference match for the ECG583

dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by dime196604 » Friday, 25 February 2011, 15:57 PM

Night Crawler wrote:
dime196604 wrote:any one know where to find ECG583 Schottky diodes?
Mouser Electronics they have the NTE583 which is a cross reference match for the ECG583

If i put these in my radio, they would be a direct replacement right?

Bigmic919
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Bigmic919 » Friday, 25 February 2011, 16:20 PM

Yeah thats right. Just make sure you put the banded end of the diode in the same direction as the ones you are removing.

dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by dime196604 » Friday, 25 February 2011, 22:18 PM

Wow, one of the most popular CB radios out there, and not a lot of people have anything to say about this topic? I know i sound grumpy, but the only local tech around here woudl turn my radio down back to the stock 4 watts if i take it there, he has had a lot of heat on him in the past so every thing is done by the books. I don't wanna crank max watts and fry my radio in a month. Just wanted to know some good ways to mess with it, i want loud audio with out distortion and splatter, just looking for some tips, and what i should adjust and look for in numbers. And how do i tell if it really has a swing kit like the seller said? the radio DK's at 2 and swing to 20 with the RF power turned down, so she swing nice, just wanna know where to look inside the radio to tell what part was tweaked to make her swing.

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by Night Crawler » Saturday, 26 February 2011, 11:42 AM

dime196604 wrote: how do i tell if it really has a swing kit like the seller said? the radio DK's at 2 and swing to 20 with the RF power turned down, so she swing nice, just wanna know where to look inside the radio to tell what part was tweaked to make her swing.
There two ways to do it on that radio either look for a capacitor and resistor between TP8 and TP9 that's the copperclad board near the diver and final or look for a diode that was added between VR14 and R264.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic