What's the most watts you can get from a cobra 29?

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
outlawmobile

Post by outlawmobile »

LS1 TA wrote:So, then, what does everyone think about Sparky's new 50 watt Cobra?
HUH???? Where and when did Sparky start advertising a 50 watt Cobra? Are you sure it wasnt one of the 10 meter Cobras?Inquiring minds want to know :?: Shawn
ChillDog

Post by ChillDog »

Im only antipep claims when people try to sell you something based on pep watts. I'm not trying to sell anything just telling you what you can get one to do. I don't recommend it for everyone but thats what this radio is doing

for the meter right now i'm using a bird 43 with a pdc-1 pep kit instead of the dual needle because some people don't think it will read about the same and when I'm done the pictures will be with the bird

again I don't like pep readings but this is just something I'm doing to see what I can get out of the radio if you don't like it then that is ok but it's my project and thats what I'm doing right now

i'm also using a 100 watt dry dummy load because you don't like the way I was talking about doing it and right now I'm showing 51 watts but again I need to change a few things up
Tezterz

Post by Tezterz »

Probably a stinger board.
LS1 TA

Post by LS1 TA »

outlawmobile wrote:
LS1 TA wrote:So, then, what does everyone think about Sparky's new 50 watt Cobra?
HUH???? Where and when did Sparky start advertising a 50 watt Cobra? Are you sure it wasnt one of the 10 meter Cobras?Inquiring minds want to know :?: Shawn
There was an actual post specifically saying 50+ watts but it looks like it has magically disappeared.

http://www.sparkyscbshack.com ... 457602.htm

http://www.sparkyscbshack.com ... 333300.htm

"Dead key is set at 3 watts with just shy of 42 watts Swing. This modification allows the 'Swing Peaks' to remain UP for longer periods of time, allowing the components to run cooler, resulting in Cleaner, Crisper Transmit Audio!"

QUESTION:
"radiotek, does the 29 comps swing to about? Sparky said you are the comp man!"

ANSWER:
"You can expect to see 50-52 solid watts(48-50 Bird) from and 2-3 dead key. (At 14.00 VDC) Also I do a change to the Modulation Ckt. This will enhance the audio side of the TX."

Another good one:
"If you want in my opinion take a hard look at the Stryker 440. This radio will rock your world with both audio and wattage. It has some of the loudest audio that I have ever seen from a 1-2 watt dead key. Power out on this radio is 70-85 watts and it is clear audio with the power mod that I do for it."

And another:
"A Gen. Lee is one fine radio and it is capable of 70+ Watts of swing from a 2 watt dead key. I would not recomend you trying to do this yourself as you can cause all kind of problems if the mods are not done right. The board has to be beefed up and some parts changed and some added."
LS1 TA

Post by LS1 TA »

I found the post I was looking for. I retract my comment about it "magically disappearing." My apologies.

"I have a Cobra 29 Stealth Radio built by radiotek, and man it talks, I thought my meters were bad when I saw the 29 doing what my S3 magnum was doing, over 50PEP, more towards 54 to 55pep,,,,it talks and does a fine job, what sucks is radiotek put a warranty seal on the case so I can't look at what he did,,,,LOL,,,way to go radiotek, you know your 29 boards for sure, GURU of radios!!!"
Porch Boy
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Porch Boy »

I have a cobra 29 with the stock final that i does 75 watts, seriously when i talk my coax cable jumps up and down on the floor!
outlawmobile

Post by outlawmobile »

Porch Boy wrote:I have a cobra 29 with the stock final that i does 75 watts, seriously when i talk my coax cable jumps up and down on the floor!
You all really think you got something with these hopped up Cobras,you aint seen nothin till you seen my stock General Lee throw a 200 watt dead key and swing to 500 watts :shock: :lol: 8) If you all believe that I got some ocean front property in Arizona Im looking to sell cheap :roll: :wink: Shawn
LS1 TA

Post by LS1 TA »

outlawmobile wrote:
Porch Boy wrote:I have a cobra 29 with the stock final that i does 75 watts, seriously when i talk my coax cable jumps up and down on the floor!
You all really think you got something with these hopped up Cobras,you aint seen nothin till you seen my stock General Lee throw a 200 watt dead key and swing to 500 watts :shock: :lol: 8) If you all believe that I got some ocean front property in Arizona Im looking to sell cheap :roll: :wink: Shawn
You don't want none of this. . .

Cobra 18WX with a 16 pill built in. :shock: AND I am using a RatShack magmount antenna. I can lock my parking lot down!
outlawmobile

Post by outlawmobile »

LS1 TA wrote:
outlawmobile wrote:
You don't want none of this. . .

Cobra 18WX with a 16 pill built in. :shock: AND I am using a RatShack magmount antenna. I can lock my parking lot down!
Yeah youll lock it down alright,for a split second until that Rat Shack antenna melts into a puddle on your roof :twisted: I will gladly pay a small admission fee to be present when you get ready to fire up that there setup :wink: Shawn
outlawmobile

Post by outlawmobile »

Oh and by the way my 5 pill will smoke your 16 pill.I got them new pills in it,rated at 25.000 watts each and Im running it through a 2 foot fiberglass whip :shock: Shawn
mopar2ya
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by mopar2ya »

ChillDog wrote:Im only antipep claims when people try to sell you something based on pep watts. I'm not trying to sell anything just telling you what you can get one to do. I don't recommend it for everyone but thats what this radio is doing

for the meter right now i'm using a bird 43 with a pdc-1 pep kit instead of the dual needle because some people don't think it will read about the same and when I'm done the pictures will be with the bird

again I don't like pep readings but this is just something I'm doing to see what I can get out of the radio if you don't like it then that is ok but it's my project and thats what I'm doing right now

i'm also using a 100 watt dry dummy load because you don't like the way I was talking about doing it and right now I'm showing 51 watts but again I need to change a few things up
It is fun to experiment in the manner that you are. I myself have dabbled in the search for that last watt. I never saw 51w PEP out of a Cobra on my meters. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible. I hope that you continue the thread and prove me and all the rest of the doubters wrong. Just because I am skeptical of your numbers doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy being proven wrong. I have had my opinions smacked around by others more than once and got up laughing.

Good Luck,

Mopar

wan•na•boo (wah-nah-boo) Informal n. Derived of wan-na-bee 1. One who aspires to be a
Peakaboo. 2. One who imitates the behavior, customs, or dress of a Peakaboo. 3. A product
designed to imitate the qualities or characteristics of something built by a Peakaboo.
-.. --- -. - / ..-. --- .-. --. . - / - --- / -.. .-. .. -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --- ...- .- .-.. - .. -. . / .-.-.- / .-.-.
coletrain
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by coletrain »

C'mon ChillDog..... lets see some pics or at least further explanation
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

LMAO!!!!!!!! 50 watts out of a cobra 29!!!!! Dream on!!!!!
ChillDog

Post by ChillDog »

not a dream

after I started I saw sparkys was claiming over 50 now too

it can be done
Siniste Minster
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Siniste Minster »

ChillDog wrote:why can't I edit????

oh I want to add NEVER EVER EVER buy one of those big radio sound echo boards from rf limited

get a real echo board, I have to take that tiny one back out it causes problems
Look into a speech processor but keep in mind that if you run a box a speech processor might be abit too much...
Siniste Minster
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Siniste Minster »

outlawmobile wrote:
You all really think you got something with these hopped up Cobras,you ain't seen nothing till you seen my stock General Lee throw a 200 watt dead key and swing to 500 watts :shock: :lol: 8) If you all believe that I got some ocean front property in Arizona I'm looking to sell cheap :roll: :wink: Shawn
LOL...Try a Connex 4600T You will not I mean NOT do better out of the box......If tuned correctly it runs safely at around 150-180 watts..PEP but do not ever get one that say it's doing 200watts cause if it is then it most likely sounds like crap or at the least will not last. A properly tuned Connex 400 Turbo can not be beat and then run a good box like a Dave Made and WOW step aside mud-ducks...
burbman
Donor
Donor

Post by burbman »

or you could do like i would do is put the speech compressor in but get yourself a little box and wire it into a toggle switch so you can turn the speech compressor on and off same thing with a top gun module or a talk back too
Lawdawg124
Donor
Donor

Post by Lawdawg124 »

Ive posted this before but my Cobra 29 has a 1969 final in it. I peaks at 25-27 Watts and Im dang proud of it. Thats with a super tune for good swing.

I'm Done
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

It is a dream man!!!!! It isn't going to happen without some trick or feel good meter or a stinger board inside period!!!
footbutcher
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by footbutcher »

MY RADIO DOES 650 WATTS WHEN I FLIP THE SWITCH ON THE BOX BEHIND IT WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT IT DOES STOCK GET A BOX!!!!!!
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

TEAM WILSON RULES!!!!!!!

and I am back quiet
ringer
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by ringer »

Who cares? Make it deadkey at 1 watt and put a 2x4 or a 2x6 behind it. HIGH watts out of a little radio means dirty BS watts.
preacherman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Preacherman
Call Sign: K0EIR
Radio: Cobra 29, Lincoln, Magnum

Post by preacherman »

ChillDog wrote:Im only antipep claims when people try to sell you something based on pep watts. I'm not trying to sell anything just telling you what you can get one to do. I don't recommend it for everyone but thats what this radio is doing

We're on the same side of this one ChillDog. I too, have seen 50+ watts out of a 29 with a mosfet.
Now, with that said, they are not all "on frequency" watts. If I run it through a bencher filter before
the meter, I see a little over 40 watts. I'm not claiming the bencher removes all the out of band emissions,
but for comparison, a Gen. Lee that does 50 watts will make even less power than the 29 with the filter
in line. I say go for it...prove the naysayers wrong :)
preacherman
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

Its good to see the lowly 29 get some attention. I for one run a 29NW bout 8 months old in the bigrig. Mods for it are being done soon. Seems to me its such a popular radio across the board. And with company restrictions with CB's (like my company is no amps and must be wired to the CB dash posts) getting the most out of your 29 is a good idea.

Sure, there are a few stock radios that will do much better then a modded 29, like a SWP GLee, but for most its a two fold thing. One is many just plain like their 29, and don't want another radio. The other is cost. Many feel its worth doing a few mods to their 29 (which they have had for sometimes years).

There are many brilliant radio techs here, and what will come from that is in due time a 29 that will be loud and proud, and many smiling 29 owners........ :D
King Mudduck

Post by King Mudduck »

.......still waiting.....