**NON-SPONSOR** Corona Ball, Rating 5, Great Looking!

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

Bulldog777
Donor
Donor
Radio: Base & Mobile
Antenna: Base & Mobile
Name: Reno

**NON-SPONSOR** Corona Ball, Rating 5, Great Looking!

Post by Bulldog777 » Wednesday, 02 February 2011, 13:54 PM

I was thing of upgrading my big 102" stainless steel whip with something special. Took a peek at **NON-SPONSOR** 626 Pucks and the corona balls he has are pretty nice! Shipped in a well packed small flat rate postal box in little plastic bags. Got a few and polished one up with #0000 super fine steel wool. With a can of air I blew out the steel wool debris and cleaned it up with a little of detailer spray wax. Cut the old tip off and new one on. I would recommend making sure the 8-32 1/4" allen set screw facing the rear so it does not collect up with crap. No big deal if it does. The corona ball give this classic antenna a great look! Give this product a rating of 5 because of the design, quality and its unique! Here are a few pictures below.

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Re: **NON-SPONSOR** Corona Ball, Rating 5, Great Looking!

Post by jessejamesdallas » Wednesday, 02 February 2011, 15:49 PM

Looks good! This stuff will make it look like Chrome!

Bought it at Walmart in the automotive dept where the car wax stuff is at. It will also make your 10K's look like they were dipped in Chrome...It's a cloth-cotton type stuff that you just tear a piece off, and wipe the surface with, then take a clean polishing cloth (or towel) and wipe off...It also protects the surface from salt and other debris too! :icon_e_wink:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: 2 tin cans + string
Name: Rob
Referrals: 6

Post by linx » Wednesday, 02 February 2011, 18:21 PM

Wow, nice review!
I didn't know that corona ball was so big...it looks tiny compared to the stock ball and 10k ball beside it.

I think it looks great. I run a 102 myself and I think I need to get a hold of one of those!
Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Wednesday, 02 February 2011, 20:54 PM

One thing he didn't mention linx...is how heavy it is.

I bought some of those replacement large corona balls from a local shop once, that looked similar to gunnys, and although they were not really all that heavy, they were heavy enough that they made the stinger flop around allot. And on a Whip, specially one on a spring, they really flop around!

Guess there's a down side to everything. But since 777 said these are made of aluminum, maybe they don't flop...

Better yet! Maybe Bulldog can do one of his videos driving around Maine at 70 MPH so we can see the antenna in action with the New Balls! :cheers: Maybe a Before, and After Video....I would really be interested on if the Ball affects a 10K's stinger driving at highway speeds...

I have also read where these balls can lower the static (or what some call "White Noise") in your Receive...Maybe since I know Bulldog likes doing videos, maybe he could do some comparison vids on this too! Shouldn't be that hard or time consuming.

This could get interesting! 8)

"Where's the Popcorn?"

BOZO...There's no "Popcorn" Smilie! :icon_e_surprised:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Donor
Donor

Post by 626 » Wednesday, 02 February 2011, 21:32 PM

Thanks for the write up Bulldog.

They do cause the whip to bend more on the highway. Not too much more though. I can still shoot skip with it at highway speed. I started making em after reading about how they work on K0BG's site. I think they look cool. But I dont notice all that much difference on receive. I tend to notice the difference more when the humidity is low and static builds in the air. The real benefit is in high wattage mobiles.

No outrageous claims. They are a well machined chunk of aluminum that looks cool.

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Wednesday, 02 February 2011, 21:52 PM

**NON-SPONSOR** wrote:Thanks for the write up Bulldog.

They do cause the whip to bend more on the highway. Not too much more though. I can still shoot skip with it at highway speed. I started making em after reading about how they work on K0BG's site. I think they look cool. But I dont notice all that much difference on receive. I tend to notice the difference more when the humidity is low and static builds in the air. The real benefit is in high wattage mobiles.

No outrageous claims. They are a well machined chunk of aluminum that looks cool.
One reason I brought it up, I remember those I had really made a 102" whip flop...But I don't remember now if it was made of aluminum, or stainless steel now...Could have been steel, since this was probably 20+ years ago.

Heck. I think old NTMD 555 has some on a set of antenna's the size of ping-pong balls!

And was thinking maybe Bulldog could do a Vid, using them on one of his 10K's, is because the 10K's whips are sorta thin to begin with and if the 10K has one of the shorter shafts, that makes the stinger end up being longer...On one of my 10K's just the ball Kale uses tends to make it flop a little. I don't see much problems on Kales stingers if your using the longer shafts, since those stingers tend to end up several feet shorter...(these are older stingers, The stingers Kale uses now are a little stiffer)

They do look nice tho. I'm going to have to get with ya and order a couple for my 30K's stingers... (stingers, not the tubes)

Bulldog777
Donor
Donor

Post by Bulldog777 » Thursday, 03 February 2011, 0:40 AM

JJD I have both versions of the 30-K! The comp stinger is thicker than previous 10-K's. Since I run a 27" shaft the amont of the stinger is maybe 3 feet?! I am getting one for that antenna but on my other Predator ones I am not. Did get one for the custom Predator Freedom and it looks great! The antenna does swing a hair more but then again radio waves are not perfect either.

Bulldog777
Donor
Donor

Post by Bulldog777 » Friday, 04 February 2011, 16:11 PM

Here is a video of my installation, enjoy...Bulldog!

Big Hoss
Donor
Donor
Radio: Uniden Grant XL
Antenna: 102" Whip
Name: Dan

Post by Big Hoss » Saturday, 07 May 2011, 23:07 PM

**NON-SPONSOR** wrote:They do cause the whip to bend more on the highway. Not too much more though. I can still shoot skip with it at highway speed.
True **NON-SPONSOR**, but just like you said, not too much more. I find that as a benefit while driving, it keeps the top of the antenna just a little bit lower from bridges and tree limbs, and I haven't noticed any signal degradation because of it.

I like the unique look of the GP Corona Ball on the top of my 102" whip combined with the GP 6" Riser to replace the spring. Check out my before & after pics on the install. They are located on the Bulldog777's review for the GP 6" Riser. 5 stars on the GP Corona Ball! Thanks to Bulldog for tipping me off to **NON-SPONSOR** Pucks site & products, and thanks to **NON-SPONSOR** for the high quality made in U.S.A. products! :mrgreen:

This is Big Hoss, and I'm out!
Handle: Big Hoss
DX #: 2032

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic