Texas ranger TR696 FD-1, Rating:4, Great AM only radio!!!

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

Gummybear
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: 2-way baby monitor
Name: Samual
Referrals: 1

Texas ranger TR696 FD-1, Rating:4, Great AM only radio!!!

Post by Gummybear » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 11:42 AM

Comments on stock product:
Right out of the box this radio looks good. I am not a hugely patriotic person but the flag face is nice. For the first power up I hooked it to a Astron 10amp power supply, a DOSY meter, and a dummy load. The radio powered up fine and the RED color Freq. counter and RED channel display came on fine and looked good. I pushed all the buttons in and out and they all functioned as they should. I noticed that the buttons felt kind of cheap though. I had to push them the rest of the way on, no problems though. I tried all the knobs for function and everything checked out fine. Again they feel cheap. It is almost like they are too loose feeling. (not like the cobra 29 knobs that are hard to turn in extreme cold settings and firm when warmed up.)
I keyed the mic and the meter on the radio worked fine. The meter on the radio reads the same as my DOSY meter when dead keyed.
The mic button felt solid. I then keyed and talked into the mic and both meters showed the same again.

When I hooked it up mobile I could not believe the recieve this thing has. It out recieve's my cobra 29 that has been modded heavily on TX and RX. The ranger has EARS stock out of the box, which is awesome. The ANL and NB works very well. My old radio use to pick up man made RF slightly( whirring sounds when heater fan turned on.) The Ranger does not. As for the Frequency counter it drifts alittle due to the extreme cold, but is better when warmed up. The factory mic gets good reviews from radio check from locals. Locals say the radio is kind of weak, but its stock( 4 watts) and the skip has been in and creating a few extra pounds of static from bleed over.

***MY mobile setup is a 5'5 francis and 18' belden coax( needed this length to reach mount to radio.) ANd power was supplied from a cigarette power cord type. The antenna is mounted on the back corner of the bed, on the rail, hard mounted with bare metal contact.***

Radio came with: power cord(pre soldered ends), Mounting bracket, Foam to protect radio from mount, mounting screws, instructions, FFC "basic" rules, Radio, stock ranger mic.
***STOCK RADIO REVIEW***
REVIEW RATINGS: 1-5

Overall Rating: 4 ( because I have not had it long enough to truely test durability. Plus Tx power weak at 4watts.)
RX TX: 5 on rx, 4 on stock 4 watts
Features: 5
Ease of Use: 5
Value: 5
Durability: 4

MoJo
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Uniden 68, TR 696FD1
Home Phone: 2314211186

Post by MoJo » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 11:57 AM

Cool review..

But the TR696FD1 isnt an AM only radio. It is also a ssb rig.

I own one and run it as my base coupled with an original astroplane 35 feet up.

It walks the dog and kicks the kitty on AM and SSB with a plain NPC mod.

Do you not talk ssb? Just curious as to why you left that out of your review...

Gummybear
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Gummybear » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 12:03 PM

Out of the 250 liecenced operators listed to live in my home town I never hear anyone on side band.
And I made a oopy's In the heading. I thought I type AM,SSB.

I am interested in talking ssb but I have not made any contacts on it as of yet.

Is it possible to edit a post like on yahoo groups?

MoJo
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by MoJo » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 12:12 PM

You should have an edit button at the top of each post.

Gummybear
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Gummybear » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 12:16 PM

No sir, just qoute and report this post butttons.

MoJo
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by MoJo » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 13:15 PM

Maybe you don't get that privilege until you make a certain amount of posts...

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 13:27 PM

Gummybear wrote:Out of the 250 liecenced operators listed to live in my home town I never hear anyone on side band.
And I made a oopy's In the heading. I thought I type AM,SSB.

I am interested in talking ssb but I have not made any contacts on it as of yet.

Is it possible to edit a post like on yahoo groups?
Thanks for the review, I've never owned one and am big on the knob feel too. Not stalking you, just a slow day on here. What do you mean "licenced operators", are you trying on a ham band, like 10 meters(around 28.3 is a popular area) or something? That band is dead now and you'll need to know where to listen when it's not.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

Gummybear
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Gummybear » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 14:24 PM

what i mean by lic. operators is people with call signs.
And as for 10 meter, i do not leave the 11 meter band. I do not have a radio with that ability.

I hope this answers your questions.

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 14:33 PM

Cool, yeah around here ssb is dead, unless they're on the upper channels. The am crowd here doesn't use ssb and the few ssb'ers I've heard I don't think to am much. I like both but go where the activity is. SSB is fun and distance friendly and it is a blast to have a good spread out ssb crew for fun and testing your gear and ideas on, as that crew is usually a little more technical and not just concerned with how many chrome nekkid lady chicken light reflectors they have out on their big rig. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

Gummybear
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Gummybear » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 14:42 PM

Roge-O on that. It has been alot of fun switching gears and talking with people who think thoughts.
Do not get me wrong some drivers are smart as can be. I like to think I am in that crowd.
Others though...I am sad for them.

For only being serious about learning radio stuff for about a year with limited resources I feel I am make headway.

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 14:48 PM

Yep yep, I run a 966, the ugly plain twin to yours. I love it, not my only rig, but the one I always sem to run. Hey, I see that pure power in your profile, I think by what my neighbor Jessejamesdallas told me, they make them here to our south in texas.

I think, although you have to filter the information for yourself, this forum is about the best place short of hands on learning for the hobby. Lots of opinions of varying degrees of expertise, all in the name of fun usually.

-drdx

-drdx

Gummybear
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Gummybear » Thursday, 29 January 2009, 19:15 PM

Big ten four. The amp was born in Ennis, TX. It made me the biggest kid on the block for a while until i got greedy and tried to drive it with a small palomar 250. The problem started when I put the amps inline wrong and ran the big box into the small one....Hey do you smell something???
I need a "real" cb shop or tech to look at my boxes still. I would like to know more info about the pp comp 2 if you have any.

And as for this site, i really like it.

Gummybear
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Re: Texas ranger TR696 FD-1, Rating:4, Great AM only radio!!!

Post by Gummybear » Saturday, 28 March 2009, 17:08 PM

I just thought I would update my review by saying I really like this radio!!! I have been using it for a month straight on the road and it has been working very well for me. I did a peak and tune on it and that's it. And it talks decent enough ( 4miles solid, 6 weak) And receives awesome!!!( 6 miles solid, 8 miles weak). Set up is a Kenworth w600 with dual skip shooter antennas( swr, 1:1.2)

Still have not made any contacts on SBB. not even in a few major cites.

Locked Previous topicNext topic