Comparing: SWP / SR General Lee, and a SWP / SR RCI 2950 DX

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

SmallTruckBigRadio
Donor
Donor
Radio: SWP / SR RCI 2950dx

Comparing: SWP / SR General Lee, and a SWP / SR RCI 2950 DX

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio » Wednesday, 21 January 2009, 21:23 PM

I've got my hands on a SuperWackPacked / SuperReceive General Lee, and a SuperWackPacked / SuperReceive RCI 2950 DX, and I've done a little testing.
Wattage was checked witha Dosy Libra 631 meter, that reads a little lower than a Bird Watt meter.

The General Lee is the older version (before Mosfets) and Deadkeys 1 watt on low, and 3 watts on High,
either setting swings to 30 watts talking, 40 watts saying Ahhhhh, and 42 watts w/ whistle.

The RCI 2950 DX is the newer version (with Mosfets) and Variable deadkey adjusts from 1 watt > 2.5 watts
either setting swings to 30 watts talking, 40 watts saying Ahhhhh, and 50 watts w/ whistle.

The General Lee audio wins on AM. It has a fuller sound, and slightly better echo sound compared to the "add-on" echo board in the 2950.
The General Lee's audio is also reported to be a bit louder, and "punchier". It seems to have beefier audio, like comparing a 6" speaker woofer sound to a 4" speaker woofer sound.
The General Lee got more "wow" reports on AM channel 19.
If this was the newer version General Lee with the Mosfet finals, I expect the difference would be even more pronounced.

They both have identical, and absolutely fantastic receive.

The 2950 has a cleaner sound, almost sterile, like that which is preferred by some of the HAM radio types. The add on echo helps it to get good radio reports on AM ch 19.

They both push the DaveMade 3 pill well, and the General Lee seems to command more respect on AM ch19 with the DaveMade.

The General Lee has a bit more channel "splatter" than the 2950.

The 2950 has the extra cool buttons, and I had talkback and echo added to it. With those items added, it makes to be a well rounded unit that should cover both AM and sideband well. I have not yet tested it on sideband.

The General Lee with added variable talkback is the winner if sideband is not desired. I wish I would have added variable power to the General Lee years back, but no biggie.
CB report card:
SWP SR RCI2950dx +TB +echo(A++)
SWP SR General Lee(A+) VarTB +10 pts
I've tried Galaxy 4 times (regretted every one)
DAVEMADE 3pill(A+) solid
FATBOY 3pill(A) almost a DaveMade
RK 56(A+) full sound, cords fail allot
Astatic 636L(A) best value, hold it against DaveMade!
Astatic D104M6(A) tinny, not noise cancelling
Shure 577b(A) only if you have a very hot radio, very low audio
SkyThumper ST-65DX(B) high energy, but junky sounding

Rex_foxhound
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: SWP G. Lee
Name: Rex
Referrals: 1

Post by Rex_foxhound » Wednesday, 21 January 2009, 22:45 PM

Glad to hear you like it SmallTruck.
Sure is hard to beat a Lee on AM.

What mic were you using during your tests?
It's a 10K World!!!!

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Galaxy 88, 99v, GL

Post by SARGE » Wednesday, 21 January 2009, 22:58 PM

well i hope you enjoy that 2950 :wink: it was a good talker on SSB, never had any complaints, always was very clear from what i was told! ENJOY

watchdawg
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: General lee
Name: Jon

Post by watchdawg » Thursday, 22 January 2009, 0:13 AM

im thinking of getting a lee i belieave that sparky has them on sale right now for 189 or so which comes with peak and tune so im thinking that maybe a happy new president day present in order

SmallTruckBigRadio
Donor
Donor
Radio: SWP / SR RCI 2950dx

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio » Thursday, 22 January 2009, 9:21 AM

watchdawg wrote:im thinking of getting a lee i belieave that sparky has them on sale right now for 189 or so which comes with peak and tune so im thinking that maybe a happy new president day present in order
Thanks guys,

watchdawg,

I added the variable talkback to the General Lee and I'm very glad that I did. Consider that for yours. Mine was added as a knob on the back, I wish I would have had it added as a knob in place of the talkback on/off switch.

Also, I wish I would have asked for a variable power knob to be added in the place of the HI/LO switch, with adjustment ranging from 1 watt to 5 watts deadkey.

I did mine with RadioActiveRadios, and got the SuperWackPacked package. If you ge yours somewhere else, you may want to verify that it gets modified to keep talking wattage high.
I've had a couple of radios, not from any CBRT sponsors, that would peak at 40 watts, but would only hover around 8-15 watts while talking.
The SuperWackPacked General Lee, pre-mosfet version hovers near 30 watts while talking.

Also, if you get your radio at a place other than RadioActiveRadios, I hope they put the same care into getting the receive setup well. This SuperReceive General Lee has fantastic receive. There is no guessing about it. If anything happens above the base noise level, you will hear it!

An external speaker is a plus too. Pretty much any external speaker is better than the internal one. Even a surround sound speaker from a Pawn shop can work very well.
CB report card:
SWP SR RCI2950dx +TB +echo(A++)
SWP SR General Lee(A+) VarTB +10 pts
I've tried Galaxy 4 times (regretted every one)
DAVEMADE 3pill(A+) solid
FATBOY 3pill(A) almost a DaveMade
RK 56(A+) full sound, cords fail allot
Astatic 636L(A) best value, hold it against DaveMade!
Astatic D104M6(A) tinny, not noise cancelling
Shure 577b(A) only if you have a very hot radio, very low audio
SkyThumper ST-65DX(B) high energy, but junky sounding

Locked Previous topicNext topic