Magnum 257

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

BigBopper
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Magnum 257

Post by BigBopper » Saturday, 20 October 2007, 16:20 PM

I was looking for a SSB radio, after hearing several radios on the air, I decide to call Sparky's, which AL recommended the Magnum 257, as it was in my price range,

I started SSB in the 70's, using a Siltronix 1011D, which was a unstable radio to say the least, I even modified it with a standby switch, but it was a drifting machine, used several Midlands and Cobra 148's over the years, Sold my President Washington base which worked SSB ok, probably my favorite SSB radio was the Uniden 2510, very good SSB radio for sure, and easy to mod.

Well I ordered the New Mosfet Magnum 257, and also ordered a WorkMan DM502B desk mic,

When I got the setup, I was impressed with the Workman DM502B, first thing I noticed, was it was a well constructed mic, it had a FM/OFF/SSB switch on the bottom, it is as good as some of the kenwood mics I have had, uses 2 AA batteries,

Now the radio was tuned and aligned using a scope, many features that I was impressed with, one was Variable Power in AM/FM and SSB, radio swings very well to 43 PEP on a Bird 4314B, now the radio can be tuned for about 8 to 10 watts more, but the scope shows it best at 43 PEP, and really 8 more PEP watts won't make a difference. The Stock mic is a little cheesy, but it work well you have an adjustment inside of the mic for audio, but I'm not using it anyway,

My setup was going to be an A99 on a 30 foot pole, MagnaForce 350, B biased amp, Magnum 257, and workman DM502B.

Worked the radio for a couple of days on AM, I had to set the mic gain about 2 to 3 oclock, I receive great audio reviews, conditions were bad the first couple of days for skip. The last 2 days I used the radio barefoot and made a lot of SSB contacts, kicked on the MagnaForce and even made more,,,THIS RADIO IS VERY STABLE ON SSB, One of the best and for $200, there probably isn't anything close, I conpared it to a Cobra 148, and a Uniden 2510, and well the Magnum kicks the 148 to the curb and works as well as the 2510 or better, but I like some of the Magnum features better like the variable power and the scan function for freebanding.

I worked the Magnum 257 on SSB hard today, for about 7 hours, and couldn't be happier,,,
The Workman DM502B mic has great audio and should be marketed to the Ham market also, as it would meet their specs I'm sure.

The blue lights on the Magnum 257 is easy on the eyes, unlike many blue lighted radios out there, the knobs are a rubber coated, and seem to adjust all the options on the radio well,

I wouldn't push the Tuning to 51 to 53 PEP, on this model, you can have good clean and loud Audio with less and its easy on the final circuit.

This radio is a smaller radio and should be considered if you have limited space, I'm using it on my base as my SSB radio, but after the last few days, I'll use it on AM also, its a very loud radio for sure.

Magnum 257 mosfet model,,,,,I give 5 of 5

Workman DM502B.....5 of 5,,,probably the best base mic made today without buying a Heil studio mic setup

Sparky's setting up and scoping the radio A+++,,,5 of 5

I few years ago I wasn't a fan of Magnum radios, but they have changed some things and I use them today, I will post a review on the Magnum S3 mosfet radio in about a week

BigBopper
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by BigBopper » Saturday, 27 October 2007, 18:44 PM

Workman DM502B pics

Locked Previous topicNext topic