cobra 29 classic with rfx75

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

skibum
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: uniden grant xl

cobra 29 classic with rfx75

Post by skibum » Saturday, 20 February 2010, 10:41 AM

just had a rfx75 installed on my cobra 29 and wow!! swings 148watts!! just amazing!
uniden grant xl in big rig
cobra 29 with rfx75 in car(subaru forester)
predator 10k(on bigrig)
s.s. whip(on subaru)

GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Re: cobra 29 classic with rfx75

Post by GreenGhost » Sunday, 28 February 2010, 21:30 PM

At what voltage?
US MARINES KILO 3/3
"When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight"

skibum
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by skibum » Thursday, 15 April 2010, 13:39 PM

13.8 bytheway since I've had the rfx, power went down to 125 for a while, I stopped by the shop and now it's at 140watts and doing great. only thing missing on my radio are ssb :icon_rolleyes:
predator 10k(on bigrig)
s.s. whip(on subaru)

dragline
Donor
Donor
Radio: connex
Name: monti

Post by dragline » Thursday, 15 April 2010, 19:50 PM

140 watts?? Really??

skibum
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by skibum » Saturday, 17 April 2010, 0:33 AM

yep! got a lot of good comments on the road both in the bigrig and in my subaru. in the subaru I use it with a tram big cat and I got amazing results...on the kenworth I use it with a road ranger antenna and again, absolutely satisfied with my radio...
predator 10k(on bigrig)
s.s. whip(on subaru)

dragline
Donor
Donor

Post by dragline » Saturday, 17 April 2010, 13:33 PM

cool

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Post by TheCBDoctor » Saturday, 17 April 2010, 14:25 PM

Hi skibum

There is no way the RFX-75 is doing any more than 100 watts. It should be set for 75 watts max or it will burn out. If the meter is reading 140 watts, then the meter is wrong. The laws of physics can not be changed and the Mosfet in the RFX-75 is only capable of 100 watts, unless the voltage is cranked up beyond 14.8 volts.

I know the modification very well and it is impossible for the unit to do 140 watts at 14.8 volts.

Respectfully,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dragline
Donor
Donor

Post by dragline » Saturday, 17 April 2010, 17:07 PM

but the extra "watts" just make you feel so darn good...

Rmg32
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Rob
Home Phone: 973-390-2848

Post by Rmg32 » Sunday, 25 April 2010, 23:35 PM

TheCBDoctor wrote:Hi skibum

There is no way the RFX-75 is doing any more than 100 watts.
I love this guy TheCBDoctor. I am fairly new to the cb enthusist world but this guy tells you how it is and he makes it so you can understand it. But I still have yet to figure out if your the guy off exit 40 in CT?

goldwing
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Radio: Cobra 29 wx nwst
Name: Howard

Post by goldwing » Thursday, 29 April 2010, 14:59 PM

I just got my Cobra 29 back from Sparkys Cb Shop. I had him install a RFX75 and alinment done. WOW WOW WOW My radio sounds like a MONSTER. 95 watts pep. I highly recomend the RFX 75. :biggrin:

dragline
Donor
Donor

Post by dragline » Friday, 30 April 2010, 16:30 PM

WElcome to the forum. And enjoy your new toy!

skibum
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by skibum » Saturday, 15 May 2010, 6:38 AM

yeah well, gotta admit I was sceptical about +100watts myself, so I stopped by many cbshops to have different opinion as I'm no cb tech at all...most said 100watts and 2 said 125w. then, this week I stopped at a cb shop that a friend told me about and asked him to tell the truth on how much watts it's doing when I'm talking, not screeming or doing the whistle thing like cb shops do, just normal talk...finally found a honest answer, 60watts...and he said that my dead key was set too low so he put it higher. what a difference!
predator 10k(on bigrig)
s.s. whip(on subaru)

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor » Saturday, 15 May 2010, 18:01 PM

Hi Rmg32
Rmg32 wrote:
TheCBDoctor wrote:Hi skibum

There is no way the RFX-75 is doing any more than 100 watts.
I love this guy TheCBDoctor. I am fairly new to the cb enthusist world but this guy tells you how it is and he makes it so you can understand it. But I still have yet to figure out if your the guy off exit 40 in CT?
Yes I am. I am there every Monday and Tuesday evening, I have a partner that takes care of the shop when I am at my day job. I have a couple of assistants that I have been training in CB, since my good friend and fellow tech Joe has been in the hospital.

I appreciate the kind words,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor » Saturday, 15 May 2010, 18:15 PM

Hi skibum

The manufacturer of the RFX-75 recommends a 15 watts carrier. With the limiter disabled the peak power will go to 100 watts with a 14.4 volt supply. The problem is that the carrier envelope looks terrible and the radio throws off spurious emissions.

I have found that 25 watts carrier and a peak of 75 watts works very well, and the carrier envelope looks almost normal. When speaking in a normal voice the peak output is about 60 watts. This is all done on a 50 ohm dummy load. I do get a kick out of operators that will whistle or yell into the Mic. Really how many people whistle in the Mic unless it is to break chops.

The proper procedure when checking an FM transmitter is to say the word "Five" and set the deviation for plus and minus 4.5 KHz. I found that saying "Five" and "Four" when adjusting the peak power for AM works fine in the field. On the bench I use a scope and adjust for 100% modulation.

I have supplied a link to what a carrier should, and should not look like.

http://thecbdoctor.com/_mgxroot/page_10912.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Respectfully,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

skibum
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by skibum » Saturday, 15 May 2010, 20:37 PM

now that's what I call a clear answer, thanks so much! my deadkey is set at 10watts currently...
predator 10k(on bigrig)
s.s. whip(on subaru)

Married
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: Tommy
Cell Phone: 3125678910

Post by Married » Tuesday, 25 January 2011, 8:23 AM

So the RFX'd Cobra's (25/29)that Sparky is selling do not do 130 watts he(Al) claims ?

:icon_e_surprised:

414 Machine
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: RCI 2990
Antenna: A-99
Name: Tim

Post by 414 Machine » Saturday, 29 January 2011, 6:28 AM

So what radios can absorb these (RFX-75) mosfets? I mean is this sort of thing capable w/ or advised to do on a unit such as a (OLD) model RCI 2950? Or is this a totally different monster & not capable what so ever? My lil' 2950 sits at a DK of 2 & swings maybe 15.

Married
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Married » Sunday, 30 January 2011, 22:20 PM

Not real sure what they do and do not work on
But this RFX 25 I have slaps pretty much everything its run up on plum silly
(aka:Gen Lee's and assorted +/-50 watts 10 meter mobile rigs)
The audio is super clear and the punch is wicked,a few 440 Stryker's have indeed met their match
when they snatch the chain on this little mouse :lol:

Can a 130+WHIP UP ON 200+? yeah I do believe so :cheers:

Married
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Married » Sunday, 30 January 2011, 22:28 PM

FWIW,Who scopes a Comp built rig anyway ?
These RFX rigs are balls to the wall DRIVERS,
I havent seen a review written stating anything policitally correct and "scope" friendlly

Pretty sad they can kick a square dent in the ashtray of a rig costing $100-$200 more :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: to the OP @ 60 watts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wing Ding
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: brandon
Home Phone: 3373536874

Post by Wing Ding » Monday, 31 January 2011, 7:56 AM

yeah sure, it might be swinging 140w....... but, how many of those watts are on frequency? how many watts are actually making the trip to the station you're talking to? not calling you a liar, but i don't believe 140w from a rfx 75, period.

Married
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Married » Friday, 04 February 2011, 21:55 PM

That is why you will likely never buy such a rig,
Daddy always said it was cool to see a little fella whoop a big man's * * * :lol:

Pretty "effective" bang for the buck for under $200

preacherman
Donor
Donor
Name: Bob
Referrals: 2

Post by preacherman » Saturday, 05 February 2011, 6:46 AM

Have owned several radios with RFX-75's as well as worked on others
that were not mine...a few observations:
1. They work best on Cobra 25/s/29's. Unidens work well too...just a bit less output.
2. They "will" work on ssb radios, but it is hard to get high quality ssb sound out of them
The latest Magnums (builder/designer of the RFX) seem to have that solved by building their
radios around them.
3. They will do 100-125 watts on a 29 depending on radio. The limiter does not need to be clipped.
4. It is recommended that 15w be the 'max' dead key. They work better at a lower dead key.
5. See #4....they get hot unless you keep the dead key down. They seem to take it OK...but don't touch them.
6. Since it is a mosfet driving a larger mosfet, they are very voltage sensitive. you'll get more power at
15v than at 13.8v. They are rated up to over 20v...but the rest of the radio won't take that.
7. If you are long winded or determined to drive it hard, put a little 12v computer fan on it that has a
thermal switch to turn on when it gets hot.

For a person who wants a bit of a bump in performance, but can't run an amp...for whatever reason, this
is a big bang for the buck. One of the sponsors on the forum CustomCBradios.com was one of the first shops
doing them and still gets a lot of orders.
regards,
Preacherman
"Preacherman workin' this mudduck mercury. Topside, Land O' Lincoln"

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor » Sunday, 06 February 2011, 8:31 AM

Hi,

The RFX-75 amplifier does do a good job, but at what expense? The recommended carrier is too low to be a true AM radio. Its operation is more like a Dual Band Suppressed Carrier. They bleed over the spectrum like crazy. Yes, they are loud and they get the job done, but if you want a 100 watt peak radio you should buy a 100 watt peak radio.

Modifying a radio that is designed to do 12 watts peak, but is capable of doing 18 watts peak, and then adding an amp that has a peak output of 100 watts when shouting into the Mic makes no sense to me. They work well when they are not adjusted to go balls to the walls. Twenty five watts Dead-Key with a peak output of 75 watts works fine and minimizes the TVI. It also puts the radio at about the proper modulation percentage.

I have not experimented with a RFX-75 in a long time. Most drivers today all want the new Exports and Cobra LX LE radios. I know that RFX-75s have been installed in the new Cobra LX LE, but I would recommend caution. I know that RF from a high SWR will affect the new digital display. You pop that Microprocessor with RF and the radio is now a boat anchor.

Just my 2 cents,

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_10999.html Radio List

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_11019.html Just added Cobra LX LE 50th anniversary

Respectfully,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

Sniper X
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Kevin
Cell Phone: 505-514-4987

Post by Sniper X » Monday, 19 November 2012, 13:54 PM

Since I have the RFX75, and a Cobra 29LTD classic, I guess after reading this post I'll have it installed. Can't beat radios with a built in boot for easy installs. It'll work perfect in my little commuter car, the 2004 Focus SVT. On a Wilson 1000 mag mount that is.....

KG4KGW
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: FT-847, 148GTL
Antenna: Inverted Vee R-5
Name: Brian

Post by KG4KGW » Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 1:06 AM

TheCBDoctor wrote:Hi,

The RFX-75 amplifier does do a good job, but at what expense? The recommended carrier is too low to be a true AM radio. Its operation is more like a Dual Band Suppressed Carrier. They bleed over the spectrum like crazy. Yes, they are loud and they get the job done, but if you want a 100 watt peak radio you should buy a 100 watt peak radio.

Modifying a radio that is designed to do 12 watts peak, but is capable of doing 18 watts peak, and then adding an amp that has a peak output of 100 watts when shouting into the Mic makes no sense to me. They work well when they are not adjusted to go balls to the walls. Twenty five watts Dead-Key with a peak output of 75 watts works fine and minimizes the TVI. It also puts the radio at about the proper modulation percentage.

I have not experimented with a RFX-75 in a long time. Most drivers today all want the new Exports and Cobra LX LE radios. I know that RFX-75s have been installed in the new Cobra LX LE, but I would recommend caution. I know that RF from a high SWR will affect the new digital display. You pop that Microprocessor with RF and the radio is now a boat anchor.

Just my 2 cents,

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_10999.html Radio List

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_11019.html Just added Cobra LX LE 50th anniversary

Respectfully,
This is a clear case of "If it sounds too good to be true", "It probably Is". I didn't have to look around much to find the schematic for this tiny amplifier.
http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneous/a ... c_rev4.pdf

The schematic clearly shows an EFR77530 as the final PA. I took a quick look around and found the technical datasheet for the FET .

http://www.rfparts.com/pdf_docs/ERF7530 ... v2%200.pdf

The data sheet doesn't lie. It shows this to be a 20W FET with a PEP of 75W. If you have been able to show anything more than this you are far exceeding the max output for the FET and are damaging it!

Anything this FET produces above the rating is likely not useful power. I don't understand the low carrier input myself, but looking at the schematic it has to do with the biasing/ driver FET EFR2030. I wasn't able to easily find a datasheet on this one, but it has been used as a final output transistor in some radios and show to be about 28W of output. If this is the case it would explain the max 15W input that produces the nearly 30 watts of drive for the ERF7530.

This is a low cost replacement for the final PA on a few obsolete 10 meter radios. It is a neat package for putting on the market and I'm not surprised to see people using them on 11 meter radios. I couldn't see myself using one since they distort the audio on SSB on most radios. This may have changed with the latest design change, but I have not found anything documenting the fix yet.

Like any other amplifier (and that is basically all this is) running it at less than wide open will yield better life and overall performance.
Could we with ink the ocean fill and were the skies of parchment made, Were every stalk on earth a quill and every man a scribe by trade. To write the love of God above would drain the oceans dry, nor could the scroll contain the whole though stretched from sky to sky.

Sniper X
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Kevin
Cell Phone: 505-514-4987

Post by Sniper X » Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 9:39 AM

I expect the fact they call it an RFX 75 is it is supposed to be in reality about a 75w PEP output. That is about what i have seen in reality out of almost everyone of these RFX units I have ever seen that either came on a radio, or comes on a radio (they still do and aren't for solely found on old or discontinued radios) Or on a radio that wasn't designed for it but had it installed. Fomr my experience they work well on some radios, not so well on others depending on many factors. One of those is how well they are set up and installed by the tech. BUT most work well on AM only radios and some SSB radios when set up well. It is a cool little product but I am only going to use one since I got it free NIB and have a radio that it is supposed to work perfectly on. Otherwise i would certainly go for a KL203 or something in that level for a 100w boot for ANY radio since they cost ony 15 dollars more than an RFX75, and are a simple plug and play set p unlike the RFX75. I think what I will do is get it installed on my Cobra 29LTD sell the cobra 29 with it on there and buy another DX959 and KL203.

bigbob
Donor
Donor
Radio: GalaxyDX 979-959
Antenna: imax2000
Name: bob martin

Post by bigbob » Friday, 31 May 2013, 12:43 PM

I am glad to hear these RFX75's are working out so good for most users. I have been tempted to have one installed in my galaxy dx959 but I didn't have any real world advice to go on. I may look into the cost of one plus installation. thanks

arkinator
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Radio: magnum s680
Name: terry

Post by arkinator » Sunday, 06 October 2013, 11:33 AM

i have a 29 classic with one installed and i love it. from everything i have been told by other drivers it sounds crystal clear and louder than my magnum s-680.

craig_sez
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: stryker 955
Antenna: predator 10k
Name: Craig

Post by craig_sez » Thursday, 16 January 2014, 21:46 PM

140 is the highest i have seen..16 dead key and 120 modulated and clear is mostly what i have heard..Oh and mine is one of them..
Predator 10k(sw) on a 2011 volvo,fresh coax,grounded..

rickou812
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: 29 Classic/Grant II
Antenna: W-1000/Sirio 5000
Name: SilverBullet

Post by rickou812 » Monday, 31 March 2014, 18:19 PM

resurrecting an old post to ask a question, can a Cobra 29 Classic with a rfx-75 installed be used to drive another amp?

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Post by 543FtWorth » Monday, 31 March 2014, 18:55 PM

rickou812 wrote:resurrecting an old post to ask a question, can a Cobra 29 Classic with a rfx-75 installed be used to drive another amp?
Sure but you'll need something like a comp 4 pill. The rfx75 is 10 lbs of doodoo in a 5 lb bag. Instead of having the 75 installed to drive a 4 pill buy a 1x4. It already has a built in driver and will work well with the 29. The less you mod a radio the longer they last and the better they sound.

rickou812
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: 29 Classic/Grant II
Antenna: W-1000/Sirio 5000
Name: SilverBullet

Post by rickou812 » Monday, 31 March 2014, 18:58 PM

543FtWorth wrote:
rickou812 wrote:resurrecting an old post to ask a question, can a Cobra 29 Classic with a rfx-75 installed be used to drive another amp?
Sure but you'll need something like a comp 4 pill. The rfx75 is 10 lbs of doodoo in a 5 lb bag. Instead of having the 75 installed to drive a 4 pill buy a 1x4. It already has a built in driver and will work well with the 29. The less you mod a radio the longer they last and the better they sound.
great idea, but what I already have the cobra with rfx-75 and just want some more!!!!

kuppler
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy DX 959
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Name: Adam

Post by kuppler » Tuesday, 22 July 2014, 18:58 PM

im thinking about geting a rfx75 for my cobra 29. im just doing the shop around... see where i can get the best deal. looks like its about $100 installed. anyone know a cheaper place ??
Galaxy DX 959, Cobra 29 LTD Classic, Wilson 5000

hobbieville
Donor
Donor
Radio: Numerous
Antenna: Numerous
Name: Sam Mills
Cell Phone: 8123698155

Post by hobbieville » Sunday, 06 August 2017, 14:06 PM

My Black Chrome 29LTD+RFX75 at 120 Watts PEP on my Autek WM1.
120w.JPG
BC29LTD+RFX75.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-73 de Sam-

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic