midland 9001??

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

infisherman
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Radio: uniden washington
Antenna: bandit/wilson
Name: Ray
Cell Phone: 999-555-talk

midland 9001??

Post by infisherman » Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 18:21 PM

hello all. picked up a new in the box midland 9001 today at a pawn shop in Savannah. got a deal on it so I thought I would try it for 50 bucks. Had a Midland years ago; was a good radio back then. Don't hear much about them now a days like you do with Cobras ; galaxy etc. The radio seems to transmit ok and receive ok with a mag mount Wilson. Receive is a little nosy but can not find any reviews or any tips for mods etc. Does anyone know if this radio is like a cobra 29 or uniden78 or galaxy??? surely its like one of those?/?? thanks :?:

443 Arizona
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: midland 9001??

Post by 443 Arizona » Friday, 04 November 2016, 8:32 AM

the midlands were oddballs in my opinion, they had different circuitry for almost each radio. they got caught up in that imported change-over and i think them foreigners stuck parts in from a bubblegum machine, they worked pretty good but the circuits were hard to understand, sort of abnormal designs, maybe to use up pre-made circuitry.
the radio i had was lacking in internal sheilding which made it "a little noisy".

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma » Friday, 04 November 2016, 9:03 AM

take a look at this info for the alan 9001. it shows it to be the same radio from info I found.

http://malzev.tripod.com/cb-funk/alan9001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cbtricks.com/members/toban/alan9001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://servicedocs.com/ARTIKELEN/9500244590001.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Radio: Washington / Connex
Antenna: Dipole HM
Name: Scipio

Post by Scipio Kid » Friday, 04 November 2016, 19:25 PM

Isn't Alan the European Midland? Looks like a nice unit. The 9001Z (is that the one you got?) looks just like a Uniden 78 / Cobra 29 and I've got to think they're all made by the same little old Pakistani man in a dark basement in Omaha (but I could be wrong). Open it up and see if the board looks like a 29. What did you pay for it? Back in the 70's Midland was considered a real good, solid radio. I got lots of ooos and aaaahs with mine (but it was from a bunch of dumb high school kids who didn't know a CB radio from a camshaft). Guys would get into on-air arguments about what was best, Realistic, Midland, Cobra, Pierce-Simpson, Pace, Sears and even Teaberry. It was like everyone rooting for their team or something. When I got back into CB a few months back, I bought a couple of the small 19 ultras new on **Non Sponsor** and started using them. Good little radios. still have one of them and use it a lot, just not any features to speak of but it hears good and sounds good. I'd say you got a good deal (unless you paid 500 bucks for it).
Happy Trails

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma » Friday, 04 November 2016, 21:13 PM

he said just a 9001 so I got him all the info for a 9001. if he has the Z version he should say so. it is a totally different radio

Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor

Post by Scipio Kid » Saturday, 05 November 2016, 7:58 AM

Well the Midland / Alan 9001 looks to be a completely different radio than the 9001Z. The "Z" could easily be mistaken for a Cobra or Uniden at first glance. I asked what he paid for it but he said he got it "new and in the box" for 50 bucks. I looked at one on **Non Sponsor** for 150.00 and it looks to be nearly identical to the Uniden pc78ltw. There's a cheaper used one on **Non Sponsor** for 75 and an AlAn 9001 on there (but 10 meter) for 125 (but still bidding). If I found this radio in either version for 50 bucks I'd probably jump to get it. Now I don't know about the 10 meter thing. I assume they can be modified for use on CB. I hear there are many who do it. It's out of my league to know how but I think you get higher (export) wattage right off the bat. Anyway infisher, let us know how which one you got and how it works out for you.

And Sonoma, those specs you posted were remarkable. Are they available for all radios or did you just luck out on something for the midland? I'd like to be able to tune and tweak my Unidens and Cobras a little by myself without screwing them all up.

(edited by MDY, removed **Non Sponsor** site references)
Happy Trails

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 05 November 2016, 11:10 AM

Okay infisherman, which is it,
Midland-Alan_9001_Full_small.jpg
Midland_9001z_small.jpg
Now, Scipio Kid, I think another glance at the rules that you agreed to are in order, especially this one, rules.php?cat=9&rule=7#r97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , this will stop me from editing your posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor

Post by Scipio Kid » Wednesday, 19 April 2017, 19:29 PM

Whooops!! Sorry guys, I just saw this (after 5 months, sheesh). Hope I haven't made the same mistake a hundred times since.
Happy Trails

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Thursday, 20 April 2017, 14:53 PM

The original poster is MIA, hasn't been on since Jan of last year, guess we will never know.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld