Best little radio

This is the place to post your general tips, or need to have a question on your install here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Brass Monkey
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: John

Best little radio

Post by Brass Monkey » Wednesday, 28 October 2015, 22:56 PM

If you had to decide between these four radios which one would it be and why.

Uniden 510 Pro 510XL
Uniden 520 Pro 520XL

Cobra 19 Ultra III
Cobra 19 DX IV

Forget about the extra little features of the top two, is one of these companies radios known to be a stronger performer? I know this is one of those Chevy-Ford-Dodge kind of questions but I've been away from CB's for a long time.

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Re: Best little radio

Post by 543FtWorth » Thursday, 29 October 2015, 10:03 AM

The 520. It is just as good as the 510 but has an RF gain control. I do not care for the 2 cobras you mentioned.

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Thursday, 29 October 2015, 11:46 AM

I would go with the 520 also, but they are far from being the best.

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Radio: President HR2600
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff
Home Phone: 307-674-1541

Post by Rabbit Ears » Thursday, 29 October 2015, 13:28 PM

Had this one for OVER 25 years......... :shock: :shock: Cobra 19PLUS!! And the fool thing out of all things, still works fine!

My vote is for this one, as for being like an old TIMEX "Takes a licking and still keeps ticking"

She likes it fine......
Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2600 (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
Palomar TX-150 amp
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

Brass Monkey
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Brass Monkey » Friday, 30 October 2015, 12:21 PM

Thanks to all of you for your advice/experience. I'm really after the tiniest straight 40 channel I can get and just don't know enough about the modern Unidens and Cobras. I mostly had Radio Shack CB's.

Back in the early 90's I used to have a simple CB base station. The radio was a TRC 430. Up on the roof I had a Solarcon with the ground plane kit and it was mounted at the end of a ten foot pole held up by a 3ft. Tripod. The 50 ft. Of RG-58 was almost the perfect length with just a foot left over. Tied to the tripod was a length of 10 gauge wire that ran down to a 5 ft. Lightning rod with 4 1/2 ft. Buried. I also was using an Astitic "Black Beauty"' I think that's what they called it. The radio wasn't tweaked at all - right out of the box.

People couldn't believe my set-up or that I wsn't running any power but I had complaints all the time that I was stepping all over everyone, even on the other side of town. I guess the point of my story is that I truly believe that the antenna is everything when it comes to using CB's. That's my little bit of CB experience.

Thanks again.

halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: too many to list
Antenna: maco base/ whip mobi
Name: karl hammons sr

Post by halfwatt959 » Friday, 30 October 2015, 15:28 PM

I would go with the 520 myself. The old cobra 19 s like the XS and the LTD were great. The newer 19s like the dx ultra 3 and 4 are junk IMHO. They have a tendency to jump frequency and sound like junk. The 510 and 520s wont put out as much power as a 19 but last a lot longer. Although I have been able to get 17-20w out of one. If space is your main factor 520. If budget is in play still the 520. If you are only going to use it once in awhile or for road trips 520 and a Lil' Will mag mount will suffice. If you want a little more range a cobra 25 is hard to beat with out takeing out a second mortgage. Also you can safely run a 510 or a 520 off the cig. lighter wich makes putting it in and takeing it out the car a breeze. However a 510/520 is the ONLY radio that is safe to power this way.
2 and 3/4 DX RADIO CHAOS. Halfwatt959 " I MAY NOT CAN FIX IT BUT I CAN TAKE IT APART"
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Friday, 30 October 2015, 18:12 PM

I've had the Cobra 19 IV and was less than impressed with it's receive...I have a Uniden 520xl now in my Suburban, and the receive is very good for a small radio...(have it mounted in the dash, and is also ran with a 1x4 DM amp)

Only down side to the smaller radios that I have ran into vs. a regular full size radio, is channel rejection is not all that good...meaning if there's anyone close to you on another channel, they will bleed all over you. But, thats just a minor problem that really doesn't bother me all that much.

Another option is the Uniden 680...I also have one of these mounted in the dash on a Tacoma...but IMO the 520xl is a better radio.

My Suburban w/ 520xl
suba.jpg
My Tacoma with the Uniden 680
ta3a1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Brass Monkey
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Brass Monkey » Friday, 30 October 2015, 20:05 PM

Jessejamesdallas!

I'm pretty much sold on the 520xl. Now it's just a matter of finding it for the best price.

I'm not able to view your pictures - it says I don't have permission to view them...Maybe I haven't satisfied some requirement here on the forum. Thanks anyway.

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Saturday, 31 October 2015, 9:00 AM

Brass Monkey wrote:Jessejamesdallas!

I'm pretty much sold on the 520xl. Now it's just a matter of finding it for the best price.

I'm not able to view your pictures - it says I don't have permission to view them...Maybe I haven't satisfied some requirement here on the forum. Thanks anyway.
Let me see if this works.

Suburban w/ 520xl

Tacoma w/ Uniden 680
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Brass Monkey
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Brass Monkey » Sunday, 01 November 2015, 14:14 PM

The pictures came through this time...Thanks.

I have the Uniden 980 radio with SSB. I bought it last year but I could never get signals other than those yahoos that come booming' in on Ch. 6 from somewhere east of me.:biggrin:

It's a little bit too big for me now although I like all the features, except that annoying beep when you change channels. I know how to disable it but didn't want to go changing it.

Funny thing is - I live in CenCal and within walking distance from what used to be one of the biggest truck stops in the state and I never hear anyone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic