Cobra 23 Plus HELP!

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
BillM2
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Cobra 23 Plus HELP!

Post by BillM2 »

Total Newbie here. I have a Cobra 23 Plus which was working until this afternoon when trying to connect to my truck via a cigarette lighter plug connection. The weather channels are working but I am getting nothing in the LED channel display when on CB and am hearing nothing. The mic seems to be connected since when I depress the button, I get severaltransmit bars. If I turn the squelch knob to the off position, I hear a click, but nothing else. Great volume with the weather channel on.

I put in a 2 amp fuse in the red line fuse holder. The other apparently was blown. Is that the correct size and what's going on? I've used two separate antennas with the same result only one antennas produces a stronger transmit signal.

Thanks!
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Re: Cobra 23 Plus HELP!

Post by silvereagle1 »

Welcome BillM2 to the best worldwide "friendly" forum that you'll ever find anywhere. there's alot of people on here that will answer all your questions with alot of years of experience. You won't find a nicer bunch of people anywhere else on the web. For your question I'd say check all your grounding. I get told that alot lol. of coarse I'm only taking a guess but I bet once these guys start filtering in a little later you'll get a few ideas to go by. Good luck. Mark from tennessee

Wednesday, 02 October 2013, 16:20 PM

I wonder if you tried to wire it straight to the battery if that would make a difference. Fuse in line of coarse. Do you have a straight wire plug for your cobra or just the cigar plug? probably not your problem but who knows it could be. Could be something with that cigar plug set up.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
BillM2
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by BillM2 »

I have it attached to a 110 converter which bumps it down to 12. This worked just fine till this afternoon. I'm getting power to the weather and seemingly am transmitting, but I'm not hearing anything in the CB position. I've tried unplugging and plugging in the mic. Could I have fried something?
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

Well the speaker works or you wouldn't get weather. Have you got a meter to check for sure that you are transmitting? the weather may not be apart of the cb section of the radio. It might be its on little section and wouldn't be effected. Just a thought. you could have transmit and receive problems. Remember something caused that fuse to blow in the first place. But with that said you Might take a look at the old fuse and see what amp it was. You may have replaced it with the wrong size. This is a long shot but maybe your squelch is shut and you can't hear the stations.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

Those weather radios from cobra can be strange. make sure you have the weather knob all the way off. Otherwise a "warning/alert" will take over your radio. Also try an check it with a different mic. If the mic isnt working properly the radio will seem like it is broken. Other wise they are cheap, buy another??

Foot note: I personally don't by the weather ones. I have had nothing but issues with them. I like a bone stock 25 or 29.
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!