WELCOME TO THE NEW CBRT FORUM!

2008 GMC sierra instal

This is the place to post your general tips, or need to have a question on your install here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Tucker Terra
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

2008 GMC sierra instal

Post by Tucker Terra » Sunday, 13 February 2011, 16:52 PM

Anyone have any ideas of how to install a cb radio and/or cb and VHF radio in a truck with this style. I like clean installs and not a fan of mounting directly to the dash, and there really arent many compartments to help with the mounting process.

Let me know any ideas/ pictures you have

Thanks very much!

Chris

Tucker442
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Yeticom Optima III
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Name: Tom
Cell Phone: 9082272865

Re: 2008 GMC sierra instal

Post by Tucker442 » Sunday, 13 February 2011, 17:24 PM

If it doesn't have a console you could do a hump mount and whatever you do don't tie into any wiring in the dash, run a fused hot wire to the battery even if your not running any amps, don't want to mess the computer stuff going on while it's running with stray RF. I've heard a lot of horror stories from guys finding a hot wire under the dash and splicing into it, not a good idea no matter what it's hooked to.

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by 'Doc » Sunday, 13 February 2011, 23:45 PM

Where do you put the radio?
That's a good question with any of the 'newer' vehicles! The only good answer I can think of is where ever you can manage. Not any specific help, but most, if not all, newer vehicles just weren't 'designed' for adding a radio to without some modifications to that vehicle, and/or doing without something you can replace with that radio.
I've had three different trucks in the last several years, none of them were easy to mount a radio in. All of them required doing without something else which the radio(s) replaced. I was 'lucky' in that the radios I had/have had remote heads. I could 'hide' the main body somewhere then just run a cable to the head. That still presents problems, but not like trying to fit a large 'chunk' of radio to/in the dash or where ever.
Good luck!
- 'Doc

(If you figure a really good way of doing all this, just tell ME, none of them other people. -WE- will make a fortune!)

Tucker Terra
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Tucker Terra » Tuesday, 15 February 2011, 6:40 AM

Yeah. The older trucks all had someplace to put a radio. A console or compartment or something that could be easily modified. Now there's nothing!

Lmbrjak
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: Brandon
Cell Phone: 8043666383

Post by Lmbrjak » Friday, 24 June 2011, 18:54 PM

you could put it under the dashlike on the right side of the stering wheel its pretty simple or on the passenger side somewhere

352 Smiley
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: stryker 447hpc
Antenna: mr.coily comp

Post by 352 Smiley » Tuesday, 23 August 2011, 6:26 AM

i have a 08 sierra i'm the same way i built a box to fit on the console and it works great no holes anywhere.
352 on galveston bay

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic