WELCOME TO THE NEW CBRT FORUM!

07 Volvo Day Cab Install help (updated 12/29/08)

This is the place to post your general tips, or need to have a question on your install here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

sideways
Donor
Donor

07 Volvo Day Cab Install help (updated 12/29/08)

Post by sideways » Friday, 26 December 2008, 10:54 AM

My cousin drivers for the Post Office and drives the named vehicle. He has been having a huge problem with the stock radio set-up. Whips in the mirror, he has switched antennas etc etc. He has asked me to take a look at it for him, and I remember seeing a lot of articles on Volvos, but none just about the antennas, although I did remember grounding being mentioned. So what are the suggestions. He will be running a barefoot 29 (currently in the Preachermans' hands) and probably a single whip depending on yalls suggestions. All help appreciated. 73's
Last edited by sideways on Monday, 29 December 2008, 16:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Secret Squirrel
Donor
Donor
Radio: K40 CB '80s style
Name: Joe Husk

Post by Secret Squirrel » Friday, 26 December 2008, 11:40 AM

Right Channel Radio, a Sponsor at the bottom of the page, carries an antenna call an Astatic 1K. It is no longer made, but is the antenna of choice for the Volvo cabs. It is fairly well build. I slammed a parking garage with one and it functioned well.
Secret Squirrel

"Talking to the USA from my old pappy's CB"

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Friday, 26 December 2008, 12:02 PM

I RECOMMEND BYPASSING THE FACTORY COAX ALTOGETHER. A COUPLE GUYS THAT RUN VOLVO DAY CABS HERE SIMPLY RAN A SEPERATE 18FT COAX AND A FRANCIS ANTENNA WHICH PROVIDED EXCELLENT SWR. YOU CAN MOUNT IT BEHIND THE CAB ON A GRAB RAIL OR ??? YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY WITH THE THE RESULTS
Get Hacked and be heard like crap.......from 15Mhz-60Mhz

fatboy803
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Name: dwaine

Post by fatboy803 » Friday, 26 December 2008, 13:51 PM

Secret Squirrel wrote:Right Channel Radio, a Sponsor at the bottom of the page, carries an antenna call an Astatic 1K. It is no longer made, but is the antenna of choice for the Volvo cabs. It is fairly well build. I slammed a parking garage with one and it functioned well.

The Astatic is a good choice , pretty durable aswell, just dont over tighten it because it will crack near the base if its iver tighten and is hit pretty hard a few times as mine was .

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Friday, 26 December 2008, 14:21 PM

AS THE ASTATIC ANTENNA IS A GOOD CHOICE IT HAS BEEN FOUND THAT THE COAX AND THE GROUNDS INCORPORATED BY THE ENGINEERING BOYS ARE OF POOR QUALITY AND AT BEST YOUR PUTTING A GOOD ANTENNA ON A CRAPPY POOR QUALITY CO-PHASED SYSTEM. THE VOLVO UPS TRUCKS HAVE ALL GOT THEIR OWN SEPERATE COAX /ANTENNA SETUP ASIDE OF THE FACTORY INSTALLED SYSTEM DUE TO THE MASSIVE COMPLAINTS DRIVERS HAD WITH THE EXCESSIVE HIGH SWR AND POOR OPERATION ALL AROUND FROM HAVING USED THE VOLVO FACTORY INSTALLED COAX AND ANTENNAS. I FORGOT THE GRADE COAX THEY USED BUT IT WAS NOT WHATS RECOMMENDED FOR THE CB RADIOS.

sideways
Donor
Donor

:

Post by sideways » Friday, 26 December 2008, 14:42 PM

I have an Astatic 3K and like it, plus a local guy here sells them. Now for those that suggested replacing the coax, did you just run a seperate coax (re-routed) or just replace the existing coax? He has not taken me to see the truck yet but the set-up he explained sounded like it was inside the mirror "frame" and to me it sounded like down in a tube ,which to my line of thinking would trap water around the coax. When I said as much to him he said his worst probs were when it was wet outside. I'm without seeing it looking at maybe setting up a mirror mount with a seperate ground for him. Any thought there? Thanks for the help and suggestions.

kor b
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by kor b » Friday, 26 December 2008, 15:08 PM

Watermelonman53 wrote:I RECOMMEND BYPASSING THE FACTORY COAX ALTOGETHER. A COUPLE GUYS THAT RUN VOLVO DAY CABS HERE SIMPLY RAN A SEPERATE 18FT COAX AND A FRANCIS ANTENNA WHICH PROVIDED EXCELLENT SWR. YOU CAN MOUNT IT BEHIND THE CAB ON A GRAB RAIL OR ??? YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY WITH THE THE RESULTS

This is what i would also do. The factory coax could also fuction as a am/fm antenna, with a splitter box in th dash. this is what my 88 frieghtliner day cab does. I use a perch that scews in to one of the mirror bolt holes (#8x1.25). this is sold in some truckstops but i bought mine from GI Joes. I think it is marked as to fit a volvo but it fit my truck just fine. If you do it this way it may help the rf grounding.

Spark Plug
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Volvo

Post by Spark Plug » Saturday, 27 December 2008, 9:31 AM

I drove one of these trucks for a while. Good truck when equiped right, A pain in the neck for cb setup. I had a Volvo teck tell me to not use the stock cable. He said to install a new single cable to the drivers side and to use a bird perch adapter which replaces one of the top mirror bolts and gives you ground. This is available from sponcers and love truck stops also have a good collection of mounts. You then need to ground the mount to the frame. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but not really once you get into it.

Tankerdave
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Tankerdave » Saturday, 27 December 2008, 14:04 PM

I ran a 2002 Volvo and had to use the "Bird perch". It worked great on my truck, just screwed it in place of mirror mount bolt, new antenna mount and coax and that was all it took. No extra grounding was required. Used a Wilson 2000 antenna and ran a Texas Star 350 with no problems. Hope this helps.

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Saturday, 27 December 2008, 14:12 PM

THAT BIRD PURCH IDEA IS A GREAT ONE AS WELL..YOU CAN USE ONE OF THE EXCISTING BRACKETS OR CORNER SUPPORTS BEHIND THE CAB SINCE THERE IS NO SLEEPER AND USE THE PERCH METHOD OR ON MANY VOLVOS IVE SEEN THEY USED THE TOP CORNER BRACKET WHERE THE LITTLE CAB EXTENDER PANEL IS BOLTED TO THE REAR OF THE CAB. IM LOOKING AT ONE WHILE IM SITTING HERE AT THE FUEL STOP. THIS GUY USED WHAT APPEARS TO BE A UNIVERSAL TYPE MOUNT THAT ALLOWS YOU TO MOUNT NOT ONLY ON A MIRROR BRACKET BUT ALSO ON OTHER EXSISTING STUCTURE BRACKETS ETC. I DONT HAVE A WAY OF SHOOTING A PIC AND POSTING IT OFF THE PHONE BUT THIS IS A DAYCAB VOLVO PULLNG A GAS TANKER AND RIGHT BEHIND THE DRIVER ON THE OUTSIDE REAR OF HIS CAB IN THE UPPER CORNER IS A FACTORY CORNER BRACKET THAT HOLDS A LITTLE 6INCH PIECE OF FIBERGLASS THAT LOOKS LIKE A CAB EXTENDER. ALSO HE HAS A METAL BAR THATS SIMILAR TO A GRAB HANDLE AND SAME SIZE AS A MIRROR BRACKET THAT AT THE TOP ABOVE THE BACK WINDOW THAT SOME TRUCKS HAVE THEIR AIRLINES SLIDE BACK AND FORTH ON. THIS GUYS IS NOT IN USE. HE HAS A POGO STICK ON THE DECK PLATE. SEE IF YOUR BUDDY HAS ONE OF THEM AND JUST USE A MIRROR MOUNT BRACKET AND 18 FT COAX. AS I MENTION EARLIER

sideways
Donor
Donor

12/29/08

Post by sideways » Monday, 29 December 2008, 16:31 PM

Well, based on all the help so far, went to the cousins' truck today,Put a mirror mount on the smaller support bar on the mirror. Put my Astatic 3K in the mount. Ran a single ground wire from the mount to a hinge bolt (and checked it for ground). And swr are still through the roof. Pulled his radio and put it into my Van ( his radio likes the van). Checked the jumper it is good(pulled it from the van). Rechecked it in the van on my set-up , flat match. I can't think of anything else to check, Any more ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Monday, 29 December 2008, 22:43 PM

DO AS I SAID BEFORE .....TRY A MOUNT BEHIND CAB....18FT COAX ....FRANSIS ANTENNA .....RUN WIRE FROM MOUNT BOLT TO CAB AND TO TRUCK FRAME FOR GROUND. I HAVE TALKED TO A UPS DRIVER ON HIS RADIO EARLIER TONIGHT IN AUGUSTA......HE SAID THATS WHAT THEY DID AND IT WORKS. THE CAB IS AIR RIDE AND RUBBER MOUNTED...HENCE THE GROUND TO THE FRAME RAILS.

Thunder1337
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Thunder1337 » Tuesday, 30 December 2008, 20:27 PM

If it has power windows there is the problem. On some models of Volvos the window motors are switched though the ground meaning there is power always feed to the motor and it is grounded to operate just mount it on the back of the cab if so.

sideways
Donor
Donor

:

Post by sideways » Tuesday, 30 December 2008, 22:48 PM

It has crank windows, and he did say he has been running his radio this way for quite a while( antenna light on during tx) I'm surprised he hasn't blown it up.

Grump
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Grump » Tuesday, 30 December 2008, 23:16 PM

I would try and run a ground these new trucks that are air ride have crappy grounds That is where i would start

Thunder1337
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Thunder1337 » Saturday, 03 January 2009, 22:33 PM

Just had a Wilson 5000 installed on my 07 Mack swrs over 4.0 range grounded everything even twice on the base becauce I have a amp going in soon the swrs dropped to on ch1 1.0 on ch40 1:1.25 these new trucks suck on grounding before I had noise from the windshield wipers and window motors after grounding its all gone made me a beliver in proper grounding fast.

))>SUPERBIRD<((
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: G.lee + Galaxy 98VHP
Name: Dan

Re: 07 Volvo Day Cab Install help (updated 12/29/08)

Post by ))>SUPERBIRD<(( » Sunday, 01 March 2009, 6:08 AM

Unfortunatly I am having the same problem with my 2006 volvo day cab. I have tried ajusting the antennas and no luck, I guess this means I will being grounding aswell. I want my antenna (single wilson 5000) mounted on the drivers side mirror. Can it be placed there or does it have to be on the back grab bar behind the cab? How do I properly ground it? do I just hook up a wire to one of the 4 bolts on the mount and run it to the frame? I hooked the power and ground from the radio right to the Battery thinking it would eliminate the noise from the power windows,mirrors and electric horn but it didn't do anything. I'm just really sick of these extreme swrs (5+) and would like to use my radio. Thanx, you guys are always helpful. :biggrin:
))>SUPERBIRD<(( ~696~

Grump
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Grump » Sunday, 01 March 2009, 7:23 AM

))>SUPERBIRD<(( wrote:Unfortunatly I am having the same problem with my 2006 volvo day cab. I have tried ajusting the antennas and no luck, I guess this means I will being grounding aswell. I want my antenna (single wilson 5000) mounted on the drivers side mirror. Can it be placed there or does it have to be on the back grab bar behind the cab? How do I properly ground it? do I just hook up a wire to one of the 4 bolts on the mount and run it to the frame? I hooked the power and ground from the radio right to the Battery thinking it would eliminate the noise from the power windows,mirrors and electric horn but it didn't do anything. I'm just really sick of these extreme swrs (5+) and would like to use my radio. Thanx, you guys are always helpful. :biggrin:

Superbird If you want your antenna on the drivers mirror then ground it real well. If you can put it on the back grab bar without the antenna being blocked by the cab or anything you might try there but you will have to ground no matter where you put it Just the nature of these new air ride plastic trucks we drive try to run your grounds as short as possible the only good thing is that Volvos usually have metal cabs
327 from the flatland working the antique radios

))>SUPERBIRD<((
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: G.lee + Galaxy 98VHP
Name: Dan

Post by ))>SUPERBIRD<(( » Sunday, 01 March 2009, 12:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that I would have to put it on the drivers side mirror because if I put it in the back on the grab bar it would be completly blocked by the trailer and the air dam on the roof. I'm still not sure exactly sure how to ground though. Is it just an matter of hooking a wire up to one of the bolts on the bracket the antenna is attached to then running it to the frame or do I need to run it to the cab then one from the cab to the frame?
))>SUPERBIRD<(( ~696~

Grump
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Grump » Sunday, 01 March 2009, 13:02 PM

I would run a ground to the mirror bracket to the cab then cab to frame to long of a straight line of wire will act as an antenna and could throw your swr off .PM me if you have any other question glad to help

Doodad
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Doodad » Monday, 02 March 2009, 13:54 PM

I guess I must be in the minority. I run an 05 steel cab small sleeper volvo with a Wilson 5000 on the stock mount (welded on the mirror support bar) and have a 1:2 with a ww 2x4 turned on. Replaced coax and no problems ever. Remember, the smaller Volvos are a steel cab. They only use fiberglass in the larger sleeper trucks. Do note however, always check swr with the door closed. The striker post also helps to ground the door.

Good Luck
Dan
2 WATT MUD DUCK DIESEL TRUCK

Grump
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Grump » Monday, 02 March 2009, 17:58 PM

Doodad I realize that but some mirrors aren't grounded that well and he didn't want to go through the trouble of replacing the coax on a company truck and if their is a abundant amount of grease on the hinges and the striker pin still has alot of paint on it then the ground isn't going to be that good. I've driven some trucks that I can tune an antenna with no problem and some of them can be a bit#$ just cause of these factors so to run a wire to the mirror brace to the body then from body to frame should help. It can't hurt it will even help on the noise reduction in the radio plus give him a little better ground plane which is always better. Most people here will say ground ground and more ground

[byuslim09]
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: swp/srx general lee
Name: david jeanpierre
Home Phone: 9859562657

Re:

Post by [byuslim09] » Tuesday, 09 June 2009, 11:14 AM

Thunder1337 wrote:Just had a Wilson 5000 installed on my 07 Mack swrs over 4.0 range grounded everything even twice on the base becauce I have a amp going in soon the swrs dropped to on ch1 1.0 on ch40 1:1.25 these new trucks suck on grounding before I had noise from the windshield wipers and window motors after grounding its all gone made me a beliver in proper grounding fast.
amen thunder :cheers: that's probably what i'll have to do on my 07' international,i hear the turn signals,the a/c blower switch when i turn it up and sometimes the engine :pale:
"Stand for something or fall for anything is what my uncle always told me"........but he always said it as he was picking himself up off the ground!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic