RF gain makes a good squelch

Come in and ask any question, or just come in and say hello.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Turbo-T
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Super Big Stick

RF gain makes a good squelch

Post by Turbo-T » Friday, 24 July 2009, 22:12 PM

So it seems the squelch does an ok job of filtering out static, etc....but an RF gain works great for when you don't want to listen to staticy Jim's convo that you can barely make out 35 miles away. Who agrees here?
231 from Missouri

TaterR
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Jerry

Re: RF gain makes a good squelch

Post by TaterR » Friday, 24 July 2009, 22:44 PM

Well, I have seen many-a-folk use the RF gain and squelch incorrectly. This usually leads to "I can't hear you", or "why can't I hear x miles". The squelch is used to blank the white noise and it shouldn't be turned up any higher than necessary to "quiet" the receiver. The RF gain can be used to turn down the amount of signal which is coming into the receiver. Using them both is where some set them incorrectly. Once you adjust the RF gain to where you want it, THEN raise the squelch level until the receiver quietens. I have seen some folks turn the gain down without ever re-adjusting the squelch and many times it will take a very strong signal to "break-in" once that is done. Especially when they have the squelch turned full CW.

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Friday, 24 July 2009, 22:45 PM

I guess I'm weird, squelch or reduced RF gain makes me feel like I may miss something. I rarely use the squelch and could do without it altogether. The ONLY time i use it is maybe once a year, car to car, with family on a trip, and that's a rare deal. I like to hear it all, including the static. It is funny you mention RF gain as a squelch replacement. I have a radio, an hf one, that lets you choose on a menu, for one particular knob, whether it is a squelch or and rf gain.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

Donor
Donor

Post by 626 » Friday, 24 July 2009, 23:52 PM

drdx wrote:I guess I'm weird, squelch or reduced RF gain makes me feel like I may miss something. I rarely use the squelch and could do without it altogether. The ONLY time i use it is maybe once a year, car to car, with family on a trip, and that's a rare deal. I like to hear it all, including the static. It is funny you mention RF gain as a squelch replacement. I have a radio, an hf one, that lets you choose on a menu, for one particular knob, whether it is a squelch or and rf gain.

-drdx
Thats exactly how I feel. I got used to the static. I love the static.

Tinman590
Donor
Donor
Radio: Icom and RCI-2980
Name: Andy

Post by Tinman590 » Saturday, 25 July 2009, 3:22 AM

I have one of those sleep noise machines, I have it on the white noise setting and love it
RCI-2980WX
ELKIN 6 (6dq6) sometimes a driver
Henry Radio 2k2
Imax 2000
4 element maco
RCI-2950 twin tube modulator
Cobra 2000
Washington
A bunch of other stuff

Mikey B
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 WX NW ST
Name: -B-

Post by Mikey B » Saturday, 25 July 2009, 4:14 AM

drdx wrote:I guess I'm weird, squelch or reduced RF gain makes me feel like I may miss something. I rarely use the squelch and could do without it altogether.
Same here! I want to hear it all!
"We have room for but one flag, the American Flag. We have room for but one language, the English language, and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. " - - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt.
KB1TBF
"B-DOG"

Turbo-T
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Super Big Stick

Post by Turbo-T » Saturday, 25 July 2009, 7:55 AM

Ok I'll use this example.

I'm on the interstate and all the truck drivers are on 19, some of them are 3 miles down the road, their transmissions are somewhat audible but have a lot of static in the convo. But then I have a few truckers maybe a mile in front of me.

I set up the RF gain to 1/2, then the only people that get thru are the ones a mile away and their transmissions are audible, no static, clear as a whistle.

Heck set it all the way ccw and then ONLY those a mile out get thru.

Yeah I know this isn't exactly what the RF gain is for but it does work when you don't want to hear what's on 3 miles down the road w/all the static.

Also because there's so much white noise that the needle on the RX meter is hitting the red. When the RF gain is cut back it drops down to 1-2 S units, which is where I wished it would stay. I just know it limits what's going on waaayyyy out there, but just what you have to go thru today I guess.

Heck I heard that once upon a time unless someone was talking away the needle usually stayed at 1-3 S units. But due to no advancement of the CB radio and all the devices that induce interference have caused issues.
231 from Missouri

Lightninrod
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: RCI 2950DX
Name: dan greene

Post by Lightninrod » Saturday, 25 July 2009, 8:06 AM

Or, get you one of these and leave the squelch and RF wide open. That particular model isn't made anymore but Heil took then in and makes a comparable speaker at an even higher price. I've had my AmCom for several years now and matched with my new Stryker 490(with its great receive) makes for a great mobile rig.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Ayn Rand...

watchdawg
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: General lee
Name: Jon

Post by watchdawg » Saturday, 25 July 2009, 8:56 AM

I dont mine a little static every now and then and i will be the first to admit that when i run up and down the highway i have the squelch and rf gain wide open. I dont however like it when the static stays bout 1-3 s units not up in the red. I am in the process of right now figuring out how i can keep the static down on my general lee and after grounding everything i still got no idea i am thinking its prolly something with my coax
watchdawg just got down now im 10-10 on the side

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic