CB Shop in Atlanta

Come in and ask any question, or just come in and say hello.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Cain64
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

CB Shop in Atlanta

Post by Cain64 » Saturday, 02 August 2008, 15:30 PM

Does anybogy know of any CB or radio shops in atlanta area, and if you do maybe a website or a phone number.

Spark Plug
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

CB Shop

Post by Spark Plug » Saturday, 02 August 2008, 16:01 PM

The only one I know of is off 75 south at exit 201. It is behind the loves truck stop. I know nothing of it's reputation.

Cain64
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Cain64 » Saturday, 02 August 2008, 16:14 PM

ok thanks well if you know anybody that would know where one would be tell them to let me know.

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Any radio I want.
Name: Red Bud
Home Phone: 8702102009
Referrals: 1

Post by Pro-Tech » Saturday, 02 August 2008, 19:44 PM

The Fed Ex drivers from Atlanta give their radios to White Shadow who brings them to us every Monday morning. So if there is a shop there I'll ask him, he knows of every shop from Atlanta to Birmingham to Memphis. That's one of our Fed Ex radio runs. Now there are a couple of CB clubs in Atlanta. 8)

Punkin Head
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: ICOM IC-775DSP
Antenna: Little Tarheel II
Name: Kevin

Post by Punkin Head » Saturday, 02 August 2008, 19:52 PM

I have dealt with the shop at the 201 behind the loves. guy can tune a radio ok but is rather pricey on stuff like amps and mics. if you go there know what it costs and dont get screwed. as far as tech work he can tune a radio, he has done a few for me from a uniden grant xl to a galaxy dx66v.
Drake C Line
Little Tarheel II
ICOM IC-775DSP
ICOM IC-746 Pro
ICOM IC-2200H
Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng UV-3R+

Peanut
Donor
Donor
Name: Matthew

Post by Peanut » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 20:05 PM

That would be Lucky's electronics in Jackson GA. He is really pricey! Nice people though. The only one in Atlanta that I know of is at the Petro at exit 12 on the loop and he has nothing in there but chrome covers and nitro knobs.
John 3:16

Slim Jim
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slim Jim » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 20:17 PM

Punkin Head wrote:I have dealt with the shop at the 201 behind the loves. guy can tune a radio ok but is rather pricey on stuff like amps and mics. if you go there know what it costs and dont get screwed. as far as tech work he can tune a radio, he has done a few for me from a uniden grant xl to a galaxy dx66v.

I've dealt with him before, as well. Guy's name is Mike. The shop is called "Ladd's Electronics." He does respectable work. I bought a frequency counter from him a while back. He's got the shop behind Love's truck stop. It looks like a small strip-mall. "Lucky's cb shop" is in the parking lot nearby. He operates out of an old camper. I've never dealt with him before...
Remember gentlemen, Keep the sun out of your eyes and be yourselves.

Peanut
Donor
Donor
Name: Matthew

Post by Peanut » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 20:26 PM

Ya, Ladds is the one I was thinking of, next to the chrome shop, thanks for clarifying that.
John 3:16

Slim Jim
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slim Jim » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 20:38 PM

Peanut wrote:Ya, Ladds is the one I was thinking of, next to the chrome shop, thanks for clarifying that.

no problem, man! Yeah, I always thought they should add a few words to "Lucky's" sign..."Lucky to get your radio back"! :lol: I have always envisioned him getting a bunch of people's radios to fix, packing up his camper, and moving to a new truck stop where he sells every body's stuff! lol
Remember gentlemen, Keep the sun out of your eyes and be yourselves.

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 20:40 PM

Although I am from New Jersey I do get around. I have been to about 60 CB shops from the East Coast where I live to the Midwest. I can tell you about 3 CB shops in the Atlanta area if it's already not too late and you haven't chosen. Two to definitely go to, and one NOT to go to. There may be others but of these I am sure.

Black Ghost C B Sales & Service
8527 Cumming Hwy
Canton, GA 30115
770-479-7079 http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/ ... 0-479-7079

I'd recommend him first. He is about a 20 minute drive North of the city and is EXCELLENT and I mean that. I've hardly ever seen such a well-supplied shop full of every type of accessory in-stock. All sorts of used gear too. And the man there (owner) knows what he is doing, not a "hack". You will be completely satisfied, if you go there you'll see what I mean I guarantee you.

If you want to travel further there is a very good shop on I-85 East just over the South Carolina line in Fairplay SC exit 4 on the 2nd floor above the truckstop there. I believe it's called "Wolfman's CB Shop" but I'm not positive that's the exact name. "Home of the Wolfman tune". It is nowhere near the scope of Black Ghost's CB shop but they also do excellent work and are highly competent. There is a Forum member named "Lost Sheep" here on the Forum who could tell you more about them (PM him) I had another radio done there and was very satisfied (I am picky I like to do or have things done right).

On the other hand, DO NOT GO TO BOB'S CB SHOP (if it's called that---this week) in Western Atlanta on I-285 exit 12. I had a problem with a simple protection diode and left it to be repaired while I went into the Petro to get a shower. It was done 1/2 hour when I got back and the radio was working. I paid and on the way back to NJ I was realizing that the radio wasn't getting out and sounding quite the same. I got it opened to discover that he switched my digital echo-board for the cheaper version as well as took out the big MOSFET final and put a stock Cobra final back in. I was mad !!! I couldn't believe I paid this man to do this and remove things I paid good $$ to have installed. I haven't been to Atlanta for a number of months but what a rip-off I will never go back to Bob's there but to.......nevermind.

Hope this helps and I can guarantee you'll be happy with either I won't recommend shops too easily.-----Foxhunter
Last edited by Foxhunter on Sunday, 03 August 2008, 22:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

I Remember

The Bull
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by The Bull » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 20:53 PM

fox hunter you are a man of great talent i live in the Atlanta area to and almost bought a jeep from black ghost he is a great guy and he told me he had a cb shop now i know where at.

Cain64
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Cain64 » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 20:56 PM

wow thanks for the indepth info me and bull are in the same area actually know each other and have been scoping out shops for a whil trying to find a good one. thanks alot.

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 21:03 PM

You're quite welcome, like I said I'm from way up North here on the East Coast but-----I always remember where I've been, the places the pretty girls work, and the best places to get my radio gear.

He has a great place I loved it and will be back soon as I can. I drive a full-sized Freightliner with a double-bunked condo sleeper and hooked to a 53-FT van trailer so to visit his shop I had to drop my trailer about a mile east of him and drive the tractor back to the shop----but was glad I did. Stop in and see him he is a great technician-----and a gentleman also.

The other place in SC is also a really good one if you should be out that far East.

I Remember

Cain64
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Cain64 » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 21:10 PM

ok, thanks alot, also how long you thnk i would need to have my radio there, it just needs to be peaked and tunned i think. a hour? a day?

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter » Sunday, 03 August 2008, 22:15 PM

I was there for a little over an hour for the work and I looked around even more after trying to decide on buying a meter and he was answering all kinds of questions I had about things (very patient) in the store. His prices on accessories were way better than what I paid elsewhere and I told him that. The work done was on one particular Cobra 29. (I have "a bunch" of them with all types of various mod configurations). Anyway that may depend on if it's a "common" radio such as this or not it would be best to just give a quick call beforehand and get a clue what to expect and at the same time he may have a heads-up that you're coming in (and what you are bringing with you). Give him a call, and let me know how you make out. I'd be curious how he's doing----and I think you'll be very happy.

I Remember

Cain64
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Cain64 » Monday, 04 August 2008, 8:24 AM

ok, thanks i think iam gonne give him a call today and maybe head over there tommorrow. Thanks again

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter » Monday, 04 August 2008, 8:32 AM

Cain64 wrote:ok, thanks i think iam gonne give him a call today and maybe head over there tommorrow. Thanks again

New Jersey up here wavin' a hand-----No problem glad to be able to help. And I'm glad to steer any of you guys down there in the right direction if I can------and away from "the wrong direction" like the shop I was telling you about in Western Atlanta. Good luck and let us know how you make out--------Foxhunter

I Remember

Cain64
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Cain64 » Monday, 04 August 2008, 8:44 AM

Yeah i sure will, thanks for the quick responses

Rex_foxhound
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: SWP G. Lee
Name: Rex

Post by Rex_foxhound » Monday, 04 August 2008, 9:00 AM

Black Ghost is about 10 miles from me. I've been to his shop a few times. Only thing I ever purchased was some coax because I needed it right then.
Seems to be a very nice guy. His prices on new radios and amps is very high tho so if you are looking to purchase something like that, I'd buy from one of the sponsors on here.
I don't know much about his work other than I've heard his radios a few times and they sounded alright to me.
I had a buddy who took a 4 pill amp and a G. Lee to him to get matched up together (set the best DK etc) and he called my buddy and said something had happened and he should come over. So he did and as best as I remember, he said something had popped or sounded strange while he was testing it out and my buddy ended up just bringing it back home without anything really done to it. Black Ghost sounded like he didn't know much about larger Class C amps or export style radios but he may be alright on smaller ones. That could have just been one bad experience tho.
He's a nice older gentleman who has a lot of things to choose from but his radio and amp prices, especially on Texas Stars are quite high. Also, the coax I purchased was 100ft of Belden RG-8X and it was $60+ about 6 months ago just to give you an idea. Sparky's sells the same thing for $37.
He's closed on Wednesdays last I checked.

There's a shop down south of Atlanta out I-20 I think it is. I've never been there but I've heard excellent things about him. I'll try and find the directions.
It's a 10K World!!!!

Cain64
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Cain64 » Monday, 04 August 2008, 12:59 PM

o wow really, well now i dont know where to go, i really need mine tuned and peaked its only getting like 2 watts if im lucky and supposed to be atleast 4.

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter » Monday, 04 August 2008, 15:17 PM

Cain64 wrote:o wow really, well now i dont know where to go, i really need mine tuned and peaked its only getting like 2 watts if im lucky and supposed to be atleast 4.

I didn't price his new radio prices while I was there. I wouldn't discourage you or anyone from not ever considering one of our sponsors for anything. However you did ask in the thread topic of a good shop in the Atlanta area and they are a very decent shop as is also the one just over the line in SC. Let me post a reply I gave to a PM from another Forum member:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******* you're quite welcome I spotted Black Ghost's by accident. I delivered trade-show equipment in center-city Atlanta then was sent somewhere 30 miles Northwest of Atlanta to pick up a heavy load of bulk materials (that ended up putting me 79,000 lbs-gross!). It was getting later in the afternoon by then and wanted to by-pass Atlanta at that hour because of the traffic (last time it took me 4 hours just to get around the loop heading east for I-85!!!).

Anyway, so I took the route across and just above Atlanta a little ways that took me right past his shop but couldn't stop (no room on shoulder) and then found a nice big dirt-lot less than a mile east of him on the right and dropped the trailer with plenty of room! Dropped the trailer and went back to the CB shop and parked right out front along the side. Don't park out back behind it's way too steep. He had a lot of good things, every type of TVI or low-pass filter, many many meters and tons of pre-owned (used) equipment, antennas and accessories, noise toys (I don't use them) of every kind-----all kinds of things, very orderly, well-organized and well-supplied compared to many of the shops I've been in. Very well stocked when I was in there.

I didn't notice his either his prices or knowledge on amplifiers-----like Rex Foxhound was commenting on, I'm unsure------but I bought a number of things that normally I'd have to mail-order at decent prices, and he peak & tuned modified a Cobra into a great talker that I still haven't had a single problem with, that I use as an amp-driver. Let me know how you ever make out. It's been 9 months to a year since I've been there to his shop I hope he's doing ok."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For having this type of work done, or buying something off the shelf it was a great place by comparison to so many others I've been to. Whether he is a little more on some things and a little less on others-----every shop is different.

You asked in your thread for any good shop in your Atlanta area, and I've only given you a first-hand account------but feel free to go wherever you want or send it out to one of our sponsors elsewhere. Hope you make out good wherever 'ya go.

I Remember

Rex_foxhound
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: SWP G. Lee
Name: Rex

Post by Rex_foxhound » Monday, 04 August 2008, 17:33 PM

I wasn't trying to discourage going there either. Just stating what I've experienced. Its a good place to go too if you've never been to a CB shop. If I remember right, his peak and tune prices weren't outrageous as some shops I've seen, but I still think some of the things were a little high. If I have time in the next few days I may go by and see what he charges to peak and tune or whatever yall need.
It's a 10K World!!!!

coletrain
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by coletrain » Tuesday, 05 August 2008, 13:15 PM

I've been out to Black Ghost's shop. Nice selection of stuff. I would say the prices are a little higher than average retail. I bought my Wilson fiberglass, coax, firestik mount, and a quick disconnect from him. He even came out to my truck to see how I planned to mount everything. I asked about peak and tune, so he asked me about the radio. I told him it was brand new Cobra 29 so he said "why dont you talk on it a while and wait until the factory warranty is up and then I'll do it." I never asked the price but I thought it was like $30. Anyway, He gave me excellent advice...my radio died recently and I am sending to Cobra for free warranty work. They wouldnt cover it if he had touched it. So I trust he knows a litte bit about radios vs. trying to make a quick buck off of me.

I say the BlackGhost CB Shop is Great. Go there. You can also rent movies there :o

I've been to the one on I-75 near the Love's truck stop. It was closed and looked shady anyway. My $0.02

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter » Tuesday, 05 August 2008, 21:05 PM

coletrain wrote:I've been out to Black Ghost's shop. Nice selection of stuff. I would say the prices are a little higher than average retail. I bought my Wilson fiberglass, coax, firestik mount, and a quick disconnect from him. He even came out to my truck to see how I planned to mount everything. I asked about peak and tune, so he asked me about the radio. I told him it was brand new Cobra 29 so he said "why dont you talk on it a while and wait until the factory warranty is up and then I'll do it." I never asked the price but I thought it was like $30. Anyway, He gave me excellent advice...my radio died recently and I am sending to Cobra for free warranty work. They wouldn't cover it if he had touched it. So I trust he knows a litte bit about radios vs. trying to make a quick buck off of me.

I say the BlackGhost CB Shop is Great. Go there. You can also rent movies there :o

I've been to the one on I-75 near the Love's truck stop. It was closed and looked shady anyway. My $0.02

Perhaps, like almost everything else-----the prices have gone up because of fuel & delivery. Or, "perhaps" he listened to me, when I told him the higher "going prices" at the truck stop CB shops for some of the same things he was selling :shock: Could be. Yes he does have the other half of his store for other electronics, movies etc.

Now that I think about it----is that other CB shop (near the Love's off I-75) across the street on the corner, and looks like a little run-down "deserted looking" place? If so I was over there---or maybe I'm thinking of the one next to the T/A (?)

I Remember

Cain64
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Cain64 » Wednesday, 06 August 2008, 8:18 AM

ok, thanks a whole lot guys i will definetely take int consideration what yall have said, :D :D. The only reason i wanted one in atlanta is becausei didnt want to have to ship mine and wait like a week to get it back, and i know for a fact that sparkys does an outstanding job.

BigSlick
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by BigSlick » Tuesday, 07 October 2008, 17:26 PM

I-75 XIT 320, across the street from the J.

Guy does really good work. You can key up anywhere up there and someone will have a radio done by him.

Guys name is Brian.

bootleg01
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: mod cobra 29
Name: bootleg
Home Phone: 2292929710

Re: CB Shop in Atlanta

Post by bootleg01 » Tuesday, 14 April 2009, 18:07 PM

on small radios, the ghost can do most. and if you're headed further south, right over the line @ xit 2 is a new shop(old shop, new crew), called radio rage--young guys, but GOOD. i'm glad to see a new gen of techs keepin it live...and loud!
loud, proud, and hammered down..it's a jarhead thing!!

red dog 109
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by red dog 109 » Monday, 20 April 2009, 7:11 AM

a few cb shops in atanta i think

alan081954
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 19 Ultra lll
Name: Alan

Re:

Post by alan081954 » Monday, 20 April 2009, 13:30 PM

BigSlick wrote:I-75 XIT 320, across the street from the J.

Guy does really good work. You can key up anywhere up there and someone will have a radio done by him.

Guys name is Brian.

BigSlick is right on with Brian. He tuned my stuff when I was using it in my New Beetle and I had no problems what so ever. I just wish I was in the area a couple of weeks ago to get him to set up this same unit in my Isuzu Trooper.

q ball
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Name: Chris Coward
Home Phone: 6628717604

Post by q ball » Friday, 11 December 2009, 22:12 PM

my personal opinion is wolfman at the 154 off of 85, you wat meet a bunch of nicer guys, they explain what and why they are doing something to your setup. and the prices are very fair and wolfman can make it reach out and touch someone!!

q ball
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Name: Chris Coward
Home Phone: 6628717604

Post by q ball » Saturday, 12 December 2009, 6:51 AM

sorry its at 164 in ga. off of 85, couldnt figure out how to edit my original post

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic