chevorlet truck setup

This is the place to show off that ride, ask questions, or find answers about your favorite cars, trucks, 4X4`s, street rods.

Moderator: JR Moderator

p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: magnums9 /madison
Antenna: 102 whip
Name: Jonathan card
Cell Phone: 4012062673

chevorlet truck setup

Post by p38 » Tuesday, 02 April 2013, 21:08 PM

Well after a few years Im putting some life back into this old girl. Its a 1988 z71 manual with a sbc 305 . Not exactly sure how I should mount the antenna on this because the beds rotted but the quarter panels are good so im putting an wide oak floor in it after a frame swap origanlly there was a crappy 4ft firestick on the bed with a small plate holding it too the rail .would it be.best too mount it off my roll bar? Im ditching the firestick for a monkey made or a 10k ,102 whip might be too tall for it after a lift kit . The radio is a magnum s9-175 thats been tuned for cb chanbels on one bank. Of course I purchased an astatic mic (not sure which kind) with an american flag on it. heres my few questions one should I go with the oak floor? Two which kind of antenna and three . Im thinking of putting in two batteries after the motor is in. cant decide on that either... 350/305 or a 350 with the 305 heads im looking for more mpg with more power too boot. :biggrin:

Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.

TooManyMiles
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy 919
Antenna: Predator 10k
Name: Mark

Re: chevorlet truck setup

Post by TooManyMiles » Tuesday, 02 April 2013, 21:43 PM

Got mine mounted with a stake hole mount. If you are using a monkey made or predator, make sure the coil is above the height of the cab.
TooManyMiles - Leaving a Vapor Trail across the Plains.
Midway 473

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Post by 231 » Tuesday, 02 April 2013, 23:52 PM

I think the open coiled antennas on the roll bar would be great until you go wheelin' in heavy foliage. If that be the case, I'd probably run the open coil on the street and change the antenna to a TSM-4' which is also 3/8 x 24 thread for the trails...provide you aren't going to run more than 1kw that is. All of them will put the Firestik to shame for performance hands down.

If you plan on running more offroad and don't want to take the time to switch antennas, you may be better off mounting a 102" whip on the bed rail away from the cab a tad. Any of them should work well though. And I don't think having a wood bed is going to affect things much. That is, unless you plan on the entire bed being non-metalic materials (i.e. fiberglass, composite, etc.).

p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by p38 » Wednesday, 03 April 2013, 21:09 PM

Im building for show it might see some heavy snow when the blazer wont move but thats about it . Any recomendations for what length antenna with a monkey made? 231 the reason why asked about the wood is I was wondering if it wood look okay. I plan on cutting out the bed floor the moounting the roll bar on the frame and putting the flooring in . Keep it simple stupid! :lol: .how do I go about putting the second battery in ? I have plenty of room under the hood but Im not sure if I should put a selector switch in or not. Im thinking of dual optima batteries and a heavier altenator. Ive done it in boats but never too vehicles.

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Thursday, 04 April 2013, 9:01 AM

There is nothing like having a truck with a "big ole redneck" antenna on the back. Mount a 102" whip on the back left corner of the bed. You can hit anything and not hurt it, don't have to listen to the banging, clanging when you do hit something, don't have to worry about taking it off so no one borrows it, they get out pretty good, and they cost about a 1/3 of the 10K to install.
Image 1.16 SWR with just a stud nut, no spring Image 7ft Skipshooter

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

ImageImageImage
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

MachineMan
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Uniden Bearcat 880
Antenna: 4' Firestick II
Name: Kenny

Post by MachineMan » Thursday, 04 April 2013, 10:05 AM

I like that whip setup Greg. I am going to do that on my 94 f150 4x4. Should I not use a spring?

p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by p38 » Thursday, 04 April 2013, 21:26 PM

Thanks MD I kinda like that setup!the rails on the bed are out of the question because its getting covers with tie down hooks knida like ford does. Not enough distance between them too run dual whips? Tailight too tailight style. I like having the quick disconnect but like you said Idont need anyone borrowing it or them :lol: . I might just put my current setup on the truck and put a 10k on the blazer or a monkey made with a trie mag. The police in my town just smile and wave because of the 102 whip iknow a few of them but it makes my vehicle distinct and me on theyre good side.actually had one call for me too pull him out of a snow bank ill keep my big redneck antenna just for that reason! :lol:

Thursday, 04 April 2013, 23:33 PM

Machineman welcome too the forum! The spring would make it slap around quite a bit Iwould stick tok his setup but with the f150 if you have a tool box in it run a plate from rail too rail infront of the box with a quick disconnect so its center of the vehicle and you can remove it when you need acess the the box! Just face the lock side towards the box so it looks looks like a reg antenna.

ASE certified technician

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Friday, 05 April 2013, 2:29 AM

p38 wrote: Not enough distance between them too run dual whips? Taillight too taillight style. I like having the quick disconnect but like you said Idont need anyone borrowing it or them :lol: .
There really is a misconception about the dual antennas being to close together, duals will still function but the closer together they are the more dual antennas act like a single antenna, more of oval radiation pattern, granted they are harder to tune but once you do they work great on both receive and transmit. I really don't like the quick connects, the contacts in them aren't the greatest and when they get dirty fail to make a good connection. I may this summer make up another mount and put duals on the back of my truck.
MachineMan wrote:I like that whip setup Greg. I am going to do that on my 94 f150 4x4. Should I not use a spring?
Using the ball mount gives you close to the length you need to tune the antenna out without cutting it, a spring would make it too long. Without the stud and nut it was just slightly short but would of been fine for the upper end of the band, I will probably remove it if I get a 10/11m radio. On your truck it could SWR out different.
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

ImageImageImage
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

MachineMan
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Uniden Bearcat 880
Antenna: 4' Firestick II
Name: Kenny

Post by MachineMan » Saturday, 06 April 2013, 4:49 AM

I was thinking about mounting it on the headache rack behind the cab in the center.
is it okay to mount an antenna right behind the cab or will the cab interfere too much?
It probably doesn't matter as much on a 102 whip but would it on something like a firestick? I only have a little magnetic wilson on my Chevy now, im looking to go permanent. :icon_e_smile:

p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by p38 » Monday, 08 April 2013, 20:35 PM

machineman you want at least 1/3 of the antenna above the roof . best bet from what I've heard is a short whip, 67 inch with a coil on it. astatic makes them? quite flexible too a certain point like most antennas :lol: . ask more experienced people than I lol but the best advice I can give you is do your reaserch it pays off!

ASE certified technician

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic