Uniden Bearcat 980SSB

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Scholar
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: RCI-2995

Uniden Bearcat 980SSB

Post by Scholar »

Picked up a Uniden Bearcat 980SSB at the local truck stop and set it up on my base system. Nice radio, pushing 4 watts AM and 10 Watts SSB right out of the box. The SWR meter leaves a lot to be desired but I used my own so no issues. Reaches out decent barefoot and I like the sensitivity of the receiver side and it is quiet. Thought I would use this one until my base came back from being tuned.
108dt206
Donor
Donor
Handle: Countryman
Call Sign: Mm6iur
Radio: NATO 2000

Re: Uniden Bearcat 980SSB

Post by 108dt206 »

Bought 1 also. Not had a chance to unbox it yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
27.555 usb...the best place to talk to the world..
barefoothank
Donor
Donor
Antenna: lil will,A99
Radio: trc-485, 959,979

Post by barefoothank »

Be very careful as the display scratches real easy, nice radio though enjoy.
587, a nudder mudder

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Grab a zig zag screen protector kit form Wally World and install it on the face of radio. No scratches then. I did mine just after peeling the factory film off and my screen is scratch free and has been both mobile and base.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I would buy one to use as a backup radio for the stuff I'm running and I think it would be great as a beginner radio. Like any radio a tune up would help, there isn't a lot to do to one, a good power mic to help with modulation and it can be wired up so no battery is needed, the pin 6 has 8v on it. You have a problem with the radio's SWR, would like to hear some more about that.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

My swr meter is dead on. Even checked with a bird 100 watt dummy load and it reads perfect. Reads my vswr the same as all my other radios. And I am pretty sure it can be adjusted if you have another good meter to go by and or a 50 ohm dummy load that will hold 25 watts or so to hook it to. And yes MD they make a great throw in the car backup radio!! Small enough to place just about anywhere. Add a decent mic and have at it. Also oar of the pots are marked as to what they are like ALC, AM power, SSB tx freq and such. Again a good little radio for the money. Want louder modulation, add a 2018 extreme mic to one.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

25W out of a one transistor final radio, how hot does the back of the radio get? Plus you don't need all that if you plan to run an amp.

3's

Greg

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

No I was speaking of dummy loads MD not power. I think it was in reference to checking the internal vswr meter on the 980 as well as being able to make other adjustments. That is all. Sorry if it came off as if I were speaking of power.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Shoot with that 980 at 10 watt dummy load would work fine TBO.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.co ... 3fd235.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.co ... f18058.jpg[/img]
This is what I use. And i have a couple of these as well. This is what I was referring to.
[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.co ... 931988.jpg[/img][img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.co ... dacffe.jpg[/img]
I have the adapters to make it an SO-239. I've put almost 100 watts through the small ones, and a couple hundred through the 100 watt bird one. They all work great.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Tapatalk image poster isn't working on the forum, it's best just to post the url and it will highlight so you can just click on it to show a pic, all those extra posts were moved to the "Double Post Place". Sorry I read the post again and yep it was about the dummy loads, my mistake.

3's

Greg

Scholar
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: RCI-2995

Post by Scholar »

MDYoungblood wrote:I would buy one to use as a backup radio for the stuff I'm running and I think it would be great as a beginner radio. Like any radio a tune up would help, there isn't a lot to do to one, a good power mic to help with modulation and it can be wired up so no battery is needed, the pin 6 has 8v on it. You have a problem with the radio's SWR, would like to hear some more about that.

3's

Greg
I guess I did the SWR part a bit wrong. Pays to read the instructions. I checked my SWR on the Bearcats meter and channel 1 and 40 were 1.3. On my main meter I get 1.1 on Channel on and a 1.2 on Channel 40. So the meter is pretty accurate.
Scholar (John)
KEB7787

"7787" ---- 38 lsb

Base
RCI 2995DXCF ---- MFJ-299Mic ---- Sirio Tornado 5/8 Wave Antenna
Galaxy DX2547

Mobile
RCI-2950DX ---- Wilson 1000 Antenna
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

No worries MD, yeah Tapaltalk has been crashing very often since the newest update!! Sucks as I have to shut app Down. To the poster, glad you figured the swr meter out. I was going to say mine does a good job. Close enough to get by if an external meter isn't handy.
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio5000/Nagoya77B
Radio: 980SSB/YaesuFT3200DR

Post by DevilDog66 »

After reading the post in this forum, I think I will be purchasing a 980 soon. I'm considerring myself new to the hobby even though I started back in 1989/90. I stepped away from it in 1996 and have gotten back into it this year. However, I was also looking at Uniden PC122, Uniden/President Grant, or possibly a Galaxy 979 or 959, but I do not know much about the Galaxy radios other than that I heard they have frequency drift issues, but, it is a high quality radio (I think). gestions or input? I'm looking for a good quality SSB radio for beginner use, I also will probably switch to a Wilson 1000 or a 5000 magnet mount to go with it.
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Get a uniden 980, skip the Wilson antenna and look at the sirio 5000 performer with with the sirio pl145 mag mount. This is a much better quality antenna than the new Wilson antennas IMO, and they do a little better on tx/rx as they are a bit taller. Check the sponsors here as I know they carry them. The uniden 980 will be your best bet for a beginner SSB radio. Stay away from the Galaxy radios for SSB use, JMO, but they just drift too much for my liking. Too much stuff needs to be done to correct this issue and the radio will still drift. The 980 is another story. No drift on SSB, not a power house radio but with the addition of a small amp like an RM Italy KL203, they do a great job. Even without the amp at this time of year making dx contacts should be getting easier toward the end of the year. Matter of fact it's picking up now quite well and some regulars are starting to appear on 38lsb again. At any rate, good luck and seriously consider the sirio line of antennas, they are built much better than the new Wilson antennas and also the new Wilson antennas have had a lot of QC issues as of late. It's hit or miss it seems at times with them. Anyway, again, good luck with whatever you decide, and have a good one.
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 »

1206FL wrote:Get a uniden 980, skip the Wilson antenna and look at the sirio 5000 performer with with the sirio pl145 mag mount. This is a much better quality antenna than the new Wilson antennas IMO, and they do a little better on tx/rx as they are a bit taller. Check the sponsors here as I know they carry them. The uniden 980 will be your best bet for a beginner SSB radio. Stay away from the Galaxy radios for SSB use, JMO, but they just drift too much for my liking. Too much stuff needs to be done to correct this issue and the radio will still drift. The 980 is another story. No drift on SSB, not a power house radio but with the addition of a small amp like an RM Italy KL203, they do a great job. Even without the amp at this time of year making dx contacts should be getting easier toward the end of the year. Matter of fact it's picking up now quite well and some regulars are starting to appear on 38lsb again. At any rate, good luck and seriously consider the sirio line of antennas, they are built much better than the new Wilson antennas and also the new Wilson antennas have had a lot of QC issues as of late. It's hit or miss it seems at times with them. Anyway, again, good luck with whatever you decide, and have a good one.
Thanks 1206FL. I think you pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Sounds like I have some antenna research/shopping to do! :mrgreen:
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

No worries. Glad I could help. The sirio performer 5000 with the PL145 mag mount can be bought from site sponsor. Which one idk. But I know one of them is an authorized sirio dealer. You will be happy even with this serup being a mag mount they work very well. The magnet is 5 7/8" I believe. Pretty large diameter compared to the Wilson 5000. Here is a side by side view of the 2 mag mounts and one of the performer 5000's mounted to one.
Image Image
Tip is at top of door which is 6ft6in approx. Or 78" total length. Give or take a 1/4". Great mobile antenna. Have had one for 3yrs+. Keep them maintained and they will last a long time.

(edited by MDY, repaired pics)
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 965 »

The 980 is a good little radio. I've had mine for a week. I added a D104, opened the clarifier and got rid of the beep. I'm happy with it's performance. the RM Italy is in the mail!!!
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 »

You will not be disappointed with the the RM KL203P if thats the one your getting. I've been running my 980 and RM set up for about 3 months now and I couldn't be happier with it. Just get the dk for your 980 set to at least 2 watts and that little amp will run! My tech has my dk at 1.5 so you'll have to see what yours like best. All the on air reports I've received have been favorable....."loud n proud".........."blowin my radio up!" etc....furthest contact I've gotten so far has been Oregon. Hope it comes in soon, maybe we will make contact. 8)
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Great little combo the Uniden 980 and the RM Italy KL203P. Like devildog66 stated, keep the DK low, but also remember that going below about 2 watt DK messes with the internal swr meters ability to work correctly and most likely won't show the correct VSWR. I tend not to trust internal meters anyway, so having an external swr/power meter is about a must, especially if you are running any more power than the radio itself. JMHO. See if you can find a used radio shack swr/power meter somewhere or check your local RS if you have one nearby. Some still carry these items beleive It or not LOL!!
Get your antenna setup as best as possible before you add the amp in line and also make sure your VSWR is good before you add the amp. This will go hand in hand with tuning of the antenna. And like said, only use radio to tune the antenna, keep the amp out of line until antenna has been tuned using an swr/power meter or antenna analyzer. JMHO. Have fun.
carrier
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by carrier »

I just received my 980SSB but have not had a chance to hook it up as yet. I also have a Italy KL-203 on order. Just getting back into CB after many years being absent. I hear the radio puts out 4 watts as stock. With that power, what will you get out of the KL-203? I'm guessing maybe 35 to 40 watts.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

carrier wrote: May 15th, 2017, 6:39 am I just received my 980SSB but have not had a chance to hook it up as yet. I also have a Italy KL-203 on order. Just getting back into CB after many years being absent. I hear the radio puts out 4 watts as stock. With that power, what will you get out of the KL-203? I'm guessing maybe 35 to 40 watts.
I'd turn the AM power down just a little bit. The 980 will probably come from then factory around 3.5 watts. I'd turn it down to around 2 watts on AM. These radios have very little swing so you're only going to get around 6 watts max with modulation. 2 watts will provide a clean crisp sound and won't blow your 203. at 2 watts drive you should get around 100 watts

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee