Cobra 148 & 29LTD

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Tioga23p
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Everhardt SOTT4

Cobra 148 & 29LTD

Post by Tioga23p »

I was just reading reviews at Amazon on these two radios, and the29LTD consistently receives rave reviews, while the 148 just as routinely gets slammed for poor quality and poor performance.

What's up with that? Aren't they both made in China, at the same factory?
Deleted User 14541

Re: Cobra 148 & 29LTD

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

A 29 is a clean cut no frills radio and its reliable. I've used exports but years later came back to a 29 for a mobile radio.

The new China 148 is a good AM performer and can work decent on SSB if you don't crank up the power. It gets bad reviews because it's not as good of quality as the old 148 with the side mic. The old rigs had a better voltage regulator that helped with frequency stability.

One of the new cpu controlled radios will be much more stable than any 148 ever was. So if you're buying new and want to use SSB I'd give the uniden 980 a look.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Cobra 148 & 29LTD

Post by MDYoungblood »

When the 148 originally came out Cobra couldn't make enough of them but as the years went by and the change in manufacturer's, it declined in quality. I wouldn't believe everything I read in reviews, even the new models do what they are intended to do, if your looking for a SSB radio the 148 is a good bang for the buck.
I would suggest looking at the sponsor sites, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/cb ... direct.htm , if your in the market for a radio, at least they know what a CB is.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department