Is there a Idiots Guide to SSB

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
WK2
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 102" Whip
Radio: Galaxy DX99V

Is there a Idiots Guide to SSB

Post by WK2 »

Hello Good Sirs and Ma'ams,

I know it probably has been covered and I have searched using the search box, but I did not find any definite answer on the Subject of "Idiots Guide to SSB". I have been in the Radio game for over 22 years but most of that is Military Radios ( AM, FM, SATCOM ) but there is CB thrown in there. The Radio I have I bought back in 1998 and asked a good friend what the best talking radio out there on the road and he came back with Galaxy 99, few weeks later I went out and got one. Now I have only used this radio for the AM side and never dove into the SSB side. So I guess here is my question : Is there any particular range I need to be in or just CH 36-40 and Upper Side or Lower Side. I know that I will have other questions and I want to Thank Everybody on the front end for all of their help and friendlyness.
Radio : Galaxy DX99V / Mic : Converted Military M-80C/U / Ext Speaker : Converted Military LS-454/U / Off Road Antenna : K40 4' Super Flex / On Road Antenna : 102" Whip w/G.P. 6" Riser

Dave -> WK2 -> WickedKlown2-> CBRT # 26657
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Re: Is there a Idiots Guide to SSB

Post by dirtyjob »

for cb it's by gentlemans agreement ssb is from 36-40, you can use it any where you want from 1-40 but 36-40 has been the general way it is. LSB is the most common but again your free to use whatever you choose.
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Yep, that is the agreement but a lot of truckers don't follow it. In my area 38LSB (really all over the world) is used as the calling channel and chat on it at night when skip is gone. On Sunday's you will hear some CB club's/forum's using channel 39LSB to do check in's.
I use from 36 and up for SSB, if you go "Freeband" than it changes to USB for most of the upper channels/frequencies. You will here a lot of complainers if your off frequency a tad, most of the new radios out there are.
I like SSB, been talking on it since the early 70's, doesn't need those 1 or more "K" amplifiers to shoot skip, I've made contacts in just about every country on the globe on less than 100 watts PEP.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
WK2
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 102" Whip
Radio: Galaxy DX99V

Post by WK2 »

Thank You Gentlemen,

On the ride home from work I tried out CH 38 LSB and my 5 digit said 27.376 when I tuned in Witch Doctor from Trinidad clearly. I tried a call out and through my talk back I sounded like one of the X-wing fighters from Star Wars (I had my echo turned off for just plain voice). So I just listened and heard a guy from Canada, one from Arizona and one from Kentucky check in with Witch Doctor. I think I need to take my Radio in for a tune up as I sound great on AM but like I said garbled on SSB. Only mod to the Radio that I know of is it had the Clarifier Mod, freq conversion and tuned along with matching it to my shoes when I bought the radio brand new ( http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... er_mod.htm ) .
Radio : Galaxy DX99V / Mic : Converted Military M-80C/U / Ext Speaker : Converted Military LS-454/U / Off Road Antenna : K40 4' Super Flex / On Road Antenna : 102" Whip w/G.P. 6" Riser

Dave -> WK2 -> WickedKlown2-> CBRT # 26657
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

You were a channel off. Channel 38 should be 27.385. Something isn't right. If it were have to said 27.386 that would have been more acceptable but still off a bit. Might have something to do with the clarifier mod. Sounds like it either needs an alignment or there is something else going on. Hope you get it resolved.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Post by dirtyjob »

your audio is gonna be garbled through your talkback, shut it off when on ssb.
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I think the difference in the channel and frequency is the 10kc switch, should be turned off if it isn't needed. Like dirtyjob said the talkback will sound garbled, it only works for AM, it's not really an item to run all the time. Echo, roger beeps, and any other noise toys aren't liked by the average SSB'er. Being off frequency will make the receiving station that is on frequency say you sound garbled and I have heard a few complaints about that problem with that radio. Also make sure the clarifier's (both) are centered up before using SSB. Might be a good idea to have it checked out.

3's

Greg

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Wouldn't the 10kc switch place him up 10kc and not down 10kc? He should have ended up on 27.395 not 27.375 correct? Or am I missing what the +10kc switch does??
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

1206FL wrote:Wouldn't the 10kc switch place him up 10kc and not down 10kc? He should have ended up on 27.395 not 27.375 correct? Or am I missing what the +10kc switch does??
Your right it does say +10kc on the faceplate so the only other thing that was making the frequency read low would be the clarifier, but then I'm not sure of the range of the clarifier in that particular radio.
All the 10kc switch does is give you the skipped (was called the "A" channels on the 23 channel radios) and the skipped/missing frequencies associated with the channel selector. My radio just happens to go +/-10kc using a SPDT switch.

3's

Greg

southwind

Post by southwind »

dirtyjob wrote:for cb it's by gentlemans agreement ssb is from 36-40, you can use it any where you want from 1-40 but 36-40 has been the general way it is. LSB is the most common but again your free to use whatever you choose.
:bounce: This is so correct, and in the past when 23 channels were hot, channel 16 lsb was the popular channel for what ever the reason was, that's where you were if you talked. That was my favorite base station, a Tram Titan ll, Contex 500, a hy-gain 3 element with a big stick on top', all the way to Watchmaker in downtown London England. Good times that will last forever. :cheers:
Tweetybird
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Tweetybird
Antenna: Max 2000
Radio: 2517 /2995

Post by Tweetybird »

southwind wrote:
dirtyjob wrote:for cb it's by gentlemans agreement ssb is from 36-40, you can use it any where you want from 1-40 but 36-40 has been the general way it is. LSB is the most common but again your free to use whatever you choose.
:bounce: This is so correct, and in the past when 23 channels were hot, channel 16 lsb was the popular channel for what ever the reason was, that's where you were if you talked. That was my favorite base station, a Tram Titan ll, Contex 500, a hy-gain 3 element with a big stick on top', all the way to Watchmaker in downtown London England. Good times that will last forever. :cheers:
Yes I can remember those 23 channel days and 16LSB. The SSB units I had like my SBE Console 2 did not have the locked Clarifier either. We had a great time..