Finally!! SSB contact!

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
projectcop
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Cobra 148F

Finally!! SSB contact!

Post by projectcop »

Hi Folks;
Was sitting out in front of work tonight in Alameda (always come early) and heard a couple of bay area folks talking about going to SSB on 20, so followed them there and found them on the upper side of 20. Waited for a break in the action and announced "station on the side" and got a come back from three of them. A couple of them were running hf rigs.
Finally got a couple of good station reports. Radio is working pretty good, but still slightly off freq. Don't know locations on all three, but one was in Mill Valley; a nice little distance from Alameda were I was sitting in my truck.
Now that I know its working ok; gonna try for more contacts. Will start trying 37 and up lower side soon and see what happens.
73"s to all..................
"Sorry Ma'm; a slight negligence in his up-bringing"
John Wayne
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Re: Finally!! SSB contact!

Post by dirtyjob »

38lsb
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

Good jog on the contact. 38 LSB is the land of the giants, there's lots of folks there but sometimes if your barefoot can be tough. Keep trying, just remember if mother nature loves you you can talk all over on 12 watts if you don't feel the love 12 KW wont help. :biggrin:
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sounds good, 39LSB on Sundays is a good channel to shout on, I'm there most of the day, I get Cali around 4PM my time.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
projectcop
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Cobra 148F

Post by projectcop »

Yea, I've been trying 37-40 lower but have not been hearing anyone most times. When I do hear someone, I can't get a comeback.
Maybe they are just not hearing me, but I'll keep trying.
Gotta drop the wife at SFO monday night; maybe I'll go to the city, grab a cup of coffee and park up on top of twin peaks and try from there. When I was growing up in SF, we used to go up there all the time. Had some real good contacts back then on my old cobra 148 and a mag mount K40 from up there. It's the highest point in the city. Too bad SF is no longer the great place I grew up in. Everything fun is now illegal there.
I knew it was time to move out when they outlawed smoking in bars.........just something completely un-American about not being able to smoke while having a drink....................
73's all..........
"Sorry Ma'm; a slight negligence in his up-bringing"
John Wayne