Side band tuning

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Chrisnick
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Side band tuning

Post by Chrisnick »

I have a Stryker 955 and was trying to use side band with some buddies but I can't seem to tune them in properly.

They sound as they are underwater and I sound the same to them. We are on the same band. My coarse and fine adj don't seem to get them to sound anything like a human. I was told to change how much my radio adj the signal but I am looking to see if anybody else had any ideas for me.

Thanks.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lost Ram
Antenna: 570' Loop with 600 ohm open feed line
Radio: Yaesu FTDX 101 MP / TRC-450

Re: Side band tuning

Post by Lost Ram »

Make sure you are all on USB or LSB. Put your clarifier adjustments to center/12 o'clock. I am assuming your clarifiers are not unlocked. Each do a 10 count so you can tune each other in, this normally happens with just a small adjustment either side of center. If not you might need your rig put back on center freq. You might not all sound perfect but will be pretty easy to understand.
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.

Post by 51 »

the obvious stuff first, make sure you are in the same mode as everyone else, you are on the same frequency as everyone else. if you still cant tune anybody in you probably have a frequency alignment issue going on. the frequency readout on the radio can be adjusted to display anything, it does not mean your rig is on frequency. its a display not a counter.
Chrisnick
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Chrisnick »

Thanks. Radio is on Freq. we put it on a counter.
It does the same in my mobile as well as on a base. Like I said
We tried and tried with some local guys giving us long counts
And modulation. They and I are both “jumbled” and don’t
Sound even close to human. Yes, we are all on the same side
Band.

Post by 51 »

if the radio is truly transmitting and receiving on frequency, and the oscillator circuit is functioning correctly, i would next suspect a fault in either the clarifier circuit, alc alignment and amc alignment.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

If your Stryker hasn't had any screwdrivers in it, it should be right on frequency give or take a couple of "hz", it is CPU controlled. The problem is the other radios, most likely they are a galaxy or similar. I would center up my clarifiers and have the others tune to me, if they get your receive right but still sound muddled or Donald ducky their clarifiers aren't unlocked and those radios need to be tuned/aligned.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Chrisnick
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Chrisnick »

Well it sounds like I may have a bad Chrystal. I didn’t know radios still had them but a couple guys contacted me on the Stryker forum on FB and told me that they had the same issues.

A Rep from Stryker also asked for my Serial number so he could look into it. I am currently waiting for a response. I am sure it will get taken care of. I will keep you posted in case others have issues as well.

Post by 51 »

BAM! nailed it, oscillator circuit :cheers:
BrownDogAudio
Donor
Donor
Handle: CreekRock
Antenna: Homebuilt J-Pole (The Creek Pole)
Radio: Cobra 2000, Galaxy 959, Drake 4 Series RX/TX/AMP, D&A Maverick 250, Drake L4B, Homebuilt Big Tube Boxes (The hammer brothers, Jack and Sledge), Hallicrafters SX-110 (SWL)

Post by BrownDogAudio »

i sat here and read down to the last post and the whole time I was thinking, "sounds like the oscillator circuit"....then I read the last post by 51...lol
Brown Dog Audio

AM 26.775 - CreekRock
LSB 27.385 - 942 (WBDA)
Zello App - Brown Dog Audio
CBRT Member # - 31610
American Eagle # AE(Coming Soon)
World Radio # WR(Coming Soon)
World Wide Sidebanders # WWS1942
Sidebanders of America # SOA942

"If what I say offends you, maybe you should look in a mirror and figure out why....."

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I just recently talked with a local tech/shop that does good work for me, he said he had sold several that came back complaining of SSB problems, being new he naturally sent them for manufacturer/warranty repair, all of which came back with a bad crystal replaced. After asking repeatedly, they admitted that it was a bad batch of radios sent to the states, in turn he returned all of his unopened stock for a credit until they resolve the problem.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department