lLafayette telsat ssb 75

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
canuck7
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

lLafayette telsat ssb 75

Post by canuck7 »

hi all, pete in england here, newbie on here. i just bought a telsat ssb 75 from EBAY USA. it powers u pbut no tx/rx anywhere. i then saw that 1 of the paxolin type circuit boards located in the channel selector assembly was cracked in half. hence so freqency selection. seeing as it looked beyond repair i soldered two of the pins on the main PCB together that poke thru from the bottom of this broken board., now got decent tx/rx on usb/lsb on 27.175mhzm with around 15 watts pep. no AM tx/rx. i bought this rig to try and set u pa radio link with a friend to chat who lives 16 miles away. it would be nice to have am working but i did'nt but it for that. we can live with only one channel to cuz out chats with be from 10pm onwards- hence no skip interfence. i am going to try adjusting RV 304 for am power.. any advice or help please?
if i could buy a scrap ssb 75 i would attempt to replace the whole channel selector assembly, i love the look of this rig and understand it is a good performer.... p :bounce:
ltdoc
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Re: lLafayette telsat ssb 75

Post by ltdoc »

It's possible to repair broken/cracked circuit boards. It isn't simple, or easy to do in some cases, but it's certainly do-able. If you haven't done this sort of thing before then I would definitely recommend you take it to someone who has. Where? I don't have the slightest idea!
Since our respective countries have different rules/regulations about this sort of thing and you would know more about that than I, I think you and your friend have other alternatives for communications.
Good luck.
- 'Doc
canuck7
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by canuck7 »

ltdoc wrote:It's possible to repair broken/cracked circuit boards. It isn't simple, or easy to do in some cases, but it's certainly do-able. If you haven't done this sort of thing before then I would definitely recommend you take it to someone who has. Where? I don't have the slightest idea!
Since our respective countries have different rules/regulations about this sort of thing and you would know more about that than I, I think you and your friend have other alternatives for communications.
Good luck.
- 'Doc
Yes thanks doc. good rig doctors are hard to find now in the uk and ham repairers won't touch it. i've heard bits+pieces online that its possible to "add" extra or different channels on this rig. i'm thinking now it would be possible to connect an "outboard" channel selector up by soldering the connection wires to the pins on bottom of the board. i've also think that this rig can be converted to 40 channel? i've scoured the WWW but nothing concrete can be found. any old timers know anything? thanks,p :compress:
majorxlr8n
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Goatman473
Antenna: Sirio 2016
Radio: Stryker 955HP

Post by majorxlr8n »

I bought a SSB75 used back in 1977. I added channels, unlocked the clarifier & turned up the modulation. I loved this radio & talked all over the world on SSB it with a modest 15 watts. never should have sold it... :cry:

link for channel crystals: http://www.cbcintl.com/XTALS/ ... 75-1RX.pdf
crystals for extra channels using bank "A" slots:
23.730 mHz = 36-38 & 40 (27.365-27.405)
23.780 mHz = 41-43 & 45 (27.415-27.455)
23.830 mHz = 46-48 & 50 (27.465-27.505)
23.850 mHz = 51-53 & 55 (27.515-27.555)
etc...
you could probably add a switch to vary between the old & new crystals for each bank, but that would require 6 of them. I soldered the crystals directly to the PCB and accepted the lower channel absences.

for more info, go here: http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/s ... /index.htm
select "Index by radio", select "L". it outlines clarifier unlocking/increasing, channels, VR adjustments.

hope that helps & good luck with it!
Marty

-- Thursday, 29 May 2014, 12:03 PM --

*** CORRECTION***
23.880 mHz (not 23.850) will give you channels 51-53 & 55 (27.515-27.555)
Base: Stryker 955HPC & 1970's Shakespeare Big Stick.
Mobile: Cobra 148GTL (all stock) with 1x2 Fatboy, Wilson 1000 mag mount. Also run a Cobra 21GTL

Gear of yesteryear: Courier Cruiser, Lafayette SSB-75, Cobra 142GTL, Browning LTD, Galaxy DX2547, HME 150 amp, KL203P amp