DX 959 stability

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: none
Antenna: Will1000
Radio: Omegaforce S45HP

DX 959 stability

Post by dime196604 »

Is there any mod, or adjustments you can make to a Galaxy 959 to make it more stable on SSB? I know its not a stable radio and a lot of you will just say to get a better SSB radio But i was wondering if it is possible to stabilize these radios.
It ain't broke till you smell the smoke
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Re: DX 959 stability

Post by TheCBDoctor »

dime196604 wrote:Is there any mod, or adjustments you can make to a Galaxy 959 to make it more stable on SSB? I know its not a stable radio and a lot of you will just say to get a better SSB radio But i was wondering if it is possible to stabilize these radios.

Hi Dime,

You can build a crystal oven around the loop crystal. It consists of a resistor glued to the crystal. The consistent heat of the resistor stabilizes the crystal. The resistor value is determined by the supply voltage and just how warm you need it to be. You can be even more sophisticated by tying the resistor to the output frequency and regulating it using a 3 pin variable voltage regulator LM-317. The simple resistor oven info is free. I can help you decide what value to use. The regulated circuit info will cost some money.

I have to pay for my sponsorship for this forum somehow. :lol: I think the simple circuit is all you need. It is in the winter that the DX-959 has drifting problems. It is fairly stable in the summer heat.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 10846.html

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by dime196604 »

TheCBDoctor wrote: The regulated circuit info will cost some money.

I have to pay for my sponsorship for this forum somehow. :lol: I think the simple circuit is all you need. It is in the winter that the DX-959 has drifting problems. It is fairly stable in the summer heat.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 10846.html

Respectfully,
That seems a little deeper then i wanna get into as i do not have much tech experience, if i was to pay for the regulated circuit, would that just be you telling me how to do it, or you building the circuit and mailing it to me?
dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by dime196604 »

I have noticed that the drift is worse in the cold weather, but the other day when the heat index here was 107 the radio was in my car all day while i was at work and when i used it on my way home, it was very hot from sitting in the car and the Clarifier had a lot more range then normal
Island_0860
Donor
Donor
Handle: 860
Antenna: 1/2 wave Dipole 2 EL Quad
Radio: SuperStar SS 158 EDX

Post by Island_0860 »

That LM-317 is a winner ...seen it used in everything and have yet to see one fail .

You say the loop Xtal ..but what about the Ref Osc needing one ?
Need to watch both oscillate I guess.. and find the culprit.

I agree on the Loop Xtal as that would be the my first place to look ..its higher in in freq than the Ref Osc.
Clodhopper
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 3 Foot Firestick
Radio: Galaxy DX979

Post by Clodhopper »

SSB drift on a Galaxy, is something i've learned to live with...It's the nature of the beast i suppose.....
Cobra CHROME
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Homemade
Radio: Galaxy DX 959

Post by Cobra CHROME »

ive heard this but never had any issues with it. only when i first turn it on. so what i do is i wake up in the morning and turn the radio on but keep the volume down, give it about 5 minutes while i do whatever i need to do in the morning and its good to go. kinda like letting ur amp warm up before u use it.

it works great for me and i have no problems with it.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have a Texas Ranger TR 696FD1(same PCB) and yes it drifts as much as 1kc when cold. I did an alignment when I got it , opened the clarifier so TX and RX tracks. I just watch the freq counter as it warms up until it stabilizes. If I had a radio that didn't have a counter I would be getting an "oven" from CB Doctor.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department