Help needed on Superstar 3000 HP CB Radio

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Oldfarmall
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Help needed on Superstar 3000 HP CB Radio

Post by Oldfarmall »

Hello-

I am new to this web site and CB radios, so please forgive me if I know very little about this type of radio. I picked up a Superstar 3000 HP 40 channel CB radio this weekend for 5 bucks. Didn't look at it close until I got home. It has other switches that I don't know what to do with. Could this be SSB radio? Has a POWER hi and low switch, BAND hi and low switch , FM and AM switch, along with a rotary BAND switch that is A,B,C,D,E,F. How do I want to set this rig up to talk like a normal CB on channels 1-40? I would really like to find a manual for this unit if anyone knows where I can get one. Also, any feedback about this unit in general. Help on how to use the other settings as well would be great. Thanks for your help!

Re: Help needed on Superstar 3000 HP CB Radio

Post by 231 »

Huh, can't find anything on the 3000 either? CB Tricks says that RCI uses the Superstar name too...so maybe that will help some? I wouldn't count on it being a sideband radio though if it doesn't have USB/LSB listed, and no clarifier. Can you post an image of it?

In any event, good luck on it and welcome to the forum. Bump the thread for you if nothing else.
ussixtysix
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by ussixtysix »

Picture?
"66" AM - 104 - New York City SSB
Oldfarmall
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Oldfarmall »

I will try to get some pics of this unit on here tonight so someone can identify this unit. Thanks!
Oldfarmall
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Oldfarmall »

Ok, I got a picture of my unit. It is a Dirland SS3000-HP radio. Hopefully someone can tell me what kind of radio this is. I want to know if I can use it to talk to a regular CB radio also. Owners manual would be nice too. Thanks in advance!
heavyD
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Heavy-D
Antenna: imax, steel whip
Radio: galaxy,cobra,uniden

Post by heavyD »

There is a ggood chance that the radio has been modded for CB channels. Set it up on an antenna and start turning. Heck if the skip is rolling good all you need is to put some wire in the center hole where the antenna connects or a coat hanger. Turn it to channel 6 and try the different bands. DONT KEY DOWN WITHOUT A PROPER ANTENNA. Just saying if you don't have one yet this can receive strong signals.... anyways my first place to Start would be the D band. The CB band will be the most crowded one.
Heavy-D. 529 in the Pile

Post by 231 »

Oldfarmall wrote:Ok, I got a picture of my unit. It is a Dirland SS3000-HP radio. Hopefully someone can tell me what kind of radio this is. I want to know if I can use it to talk to a regular CB radio also. Owners manual would be nice too. Thanks in advance!
Okay...that helps allot! And like mentioned it's entirely possible (even likely) that it's been modified already for CB. However, without the proper gear is going to be a bit tougher to determine exactly what's been done to it. Not sure what you have to draw on for other equipment, but if you have a CB and antenna already you can simply key up the CB and play with the band switch and frequencies until you see your carrier. The right equipment might be a dummy load and either frequency counter or frequency analyzer to road map the band switch, etc. I'm sure some of the real radio experts on the forum could tell you just by looking inside...but for us less technically savvy folks, simply doing one of the above should work, too.

That is NOT a sideband radio by the way. Just AM/FM with six sets of frequencies. Nothing wrong with that (especially for the price you picked it up at). The switches and knobs appear to be well labeled as to what they are for. Dual power output settings, mic and RF gain, etc. Looks like a very nicely laid out radio. You did great if it works!
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

Oldfarmall wrote: How do I want to set this rig up to talk like a normal CB on channels 1-40?
If the PLL has be modified put the Band Switch on High and Band Selector on D/A that will give you the CB Channels 1-40.
night ranger
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by night ranger »

i just reacently got a super star 3000hp and was wondering what the knob beside the one you pull for pa was ....it is to the left of the pa and i have never seen it before on a radio ....
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The knobs are Volume/Off, Squelch, Mic Gain, RF Gain/Pull for PA, SWR Cal, Band D/A E/B F/C, and the Channel Selector. Do you need to know the switches?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department